1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI: Francis' days playing for Van Gundy could soon be over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bejezuz, Apr 28, 2004.

1. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

CNNSI: Steve Francis' days playing for Jeff Van Gundy could soon be ove

Subject matches caption from the main page:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/specials/playoffs/2004/

Exit plans
    by Jack McCallum
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/jack_mccallum/04/28/insider/index.html
    First-round losers have busy offseason ahead of them
    Posted: Wednesday April 28, 2004 12:16PM; Updated: Wednesday April 28, 2004 1:13PM

The playoffs begin with such hope, and often end with such feelings of failure, depending on a team's level of expectation going in.

The Boston Celtics, for example, were a lost cause even before Paul Pierce began his first pell-mell drive to the hoop against the Indiana Pacers. They expected to be swept, played like they expected to be swept, and got swept. That may have made the four-and-out foldarama less painful, though no less embarrassing for Celtic Nation, which once, long ago, considered playing deep into June as its birthright.

Paul Pierce needs some help if the Celtics are to improve next season.
    Damian Strohmeyer/SI

It's going to be -- it had better be -- an active offseason for Boston general manager Danny Ainge who still has to hire a coach and, well, maybe get a few players to help Pierce and Mark Blount.

And looming on the horizon is this: Jim O'Brien, the coach who quit the C's because he didn't like some of Ainge's personnel moves, is coaching the Philadelphia 76ers in the same Atlantic Division as the Celtics. That situation mimics what happened in the Central Division this year, when Rick Carlisle, fired by the Detroit Pistons to make room for Larry Brown, put up a better record than Brown, and may have a chance to beat him in the Eastern finals.

The Knicks came into their playoff series against the New Jersey Nets not really expecting to win (despite what they said publicly), but at least expecting to get a game or two. Therefore New York's expeditious exit was much more painful than the Celtics', particularly since the Isiah Thomas era had begun with such promise.

Isiah, too, faces a busy offseason, his first decision being whether Allan Houston's presumed return means this team is good enough to compete in the upper echelon of the East, never mind the league in general.

What was most exposed in the Nets' series was the Knicks' dearth of athleticism, and this is something Thomas must address. It must frustrate the hell out of him watching the Kenyon Martins and Richard Jeffersons of the world run by and leap over his guys. Thomas played in a different era. He won two championships on a Bad Boy Pistons team that included a lead-footed center (Bill Laimbeer), a nailed-to-the-floor backcourt running mate (Joe Dumars) and a few guys who looked like they might be first in line at the Krispy Kreme concession (scoring machine Vinnie Johnson, enforcer Rick Mahorn, and post-up forward Mark Aguirre).

The best guess from here is: The return of the 32-year-old Houston makes the Knicks, at best, a fifth-place team instead of a seventh-place team.

The Memphis Grizzlies' four-game fall to the San Antonio Spurs is harder to read. No one in his right mind was surprised it happened, of course, since the defending champs appear to be peaking.

But I know that coach Hubie Brown and general manager Jerry West wanted to steal a game. Amid the positive feelings generated in Memphis this season (Brown being named Coach of the Year, a young team coming together, a franchise that almost doubled its all-time record for wins), was the quiet thought that the planets were aligned for the Grizzlies, and that they won't necessarily come back next year as the fifth-best team in the brutal West. They, too, will be looking to upgrade; rest assured that Jerry West already has a plan in place.

As this is being written -- in a blurry-eyed state, long after midnight, after having watched the Minnesota Timberwolves sneak by the Denver Nuggets and Latrell Sprewell become Public Enemy No. 1 in the Mile High City -- the remainder of the first-round eliminees have not yet been determined. And who am I to jinx them? But it's clear that Dallas and Houston, both down 3-1, are facing the possibility of major offseason surgery.

The Mavericks have got to be the most dysfunctional talent-rich team in many years. They spend much of the season trying to find a way to integrate the talents of the three power forwards -- Dirk Nowitzki, Antoine Walker and Antawn Jamison -- as well as find a role for old reliable Michael Finley.

So what happens when the playoffs come around? Suddenly, rookie Marquis Daniels, nowhere to be found most of the season, takes over the offense. Sometimes Don Nelson is far too creative for his own good, and the feeling around the league is that owner Mark Cuban will open the trapdoor on Nellie after four-and-half entertaining years together.

I'm not so sure, though. Cuban has said time and time again that what he likes about Nellie is the coach's fearlessness, that he takes chances and, as the cliché du jour goes, he thinks outside the box. Remember, too, that whoever Cuban would hire as a replacement would have to accept his frequent visits to team huddles. Do you think that, say, Pat Riley would like having a man in a black T-shirt, even one who signs the checks, giving his take on team strategy? There's just something fascinating about these Mavericks under Nellie, and I kind of hope they stay together.

A more basic, but no less gnarly dilemma confronts the Rockets, unless they pull off a miracle comeback against the Lakers.

To wit: It now seems that Steve Francis cannot play point guard for this Jeff Van Gundy-coached team. Francis has talent and guts galore, but his careless ball-handling and scatter-shot approach to clock management derailed the Rocket offense more than it helped it, and that doesn't even address the issue of Francis's incompatibility with Yao Ming. Francis, a shooting guard in a point guard's body, is a popular player with a delightfully competitive personality. But Stevie Wonder may have to go if the Rockets are to advance.

Sports Illustrated senior writer Jack McCallum covers the NBA for the magazine and is a regular contributor to SI.com.

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i guess Jack McCallum hasn't watched any of the Lakers/Rockets series.

:confused:

3. DCballer

DCballer Member

Ok? Did this guy write this four months ago or what.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is still accurate, if the Lakers ran any type of zone defense at all the Rockets would not be close.

DD

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

maybe he didnt read the post about JVG standing by francis???

i believe steve will get one more chance. this time it will be with a back-up PG who can take care of the ball, play some D, and hit some shots. that would make steve look a lot better.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

especially since Francis is only shooting 50% from three point range.

7. droxford

droxford Member

eh - that's just the opinion of one reporter. It means nothing.

Opinions are like a$$holes. Everyone's got one, and they usually stink.

-- droxford

8. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Wow, good opinion bra! :D :D :D

9. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

I dont want steve Francis gone next season, but its sad to know that he will be going. The word is around the Toyota Center that Francis will be on the trading block this offseason.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Good one. :)

11. Nautic

Nautic Member

Truth hurts. Don't tell this to Juugie and Co. They would pull a "whale groupie".

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Another rabble rouser. Seems like writers are sometimes afraid to go out on a limb, they just follow the crowd of majority opinion sometimes. If all your opinion was based on CNNSI and ESPN, you'd think that SF was more selfish than AI and never passed the ball. These guys need to watch a frigging game before they toss around crap like that

13. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

In my opinion, Steve has been the most solid player for us hands down. He does still get his share of turnovers, but he's putting the team on his shoulders. I don't remember the last time that I saw him play this well. We really need to give this another 2 years I think, if we can hold out that long, we'll be in contention.

14. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a WINNER for the Post of the Thread award.
    ;)

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I see, so now we should trade Francis because of the zone defense that the Lakers are not running (and that pretty much no team in the league ever runs on a regular basis).

I guess you have to resort to hypothetical pretend arguments like this (which aren't even valid as PG pointed out) in order to discount the fact that he is playing better than anybody on the team.

I guess if I had thousands of posts invested in pointless kneejerk bashing of Francis I 'd have to do the same type of tortured rationalization to try to save face.

16. Toast

Toast Member

What a maroon :rolleyes:

17. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice. :)

18. forenzi

forenzi Contributing Member

Last game Francis plays as a Rocket?

This could be it guys if he is gone after this season we only hope to get someone as good or better.

19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I hope he stays...I like Steve

20. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

At first I wanted him to go but now seeing him play in these playoffs I want him to stay. I hope that that this small taste of the playoffs will get him geared up for next year with expectations of more to come. We should shoot for a strong PF to help really reinforce the interior for our team. CATO, Yao, and a premium PF should do the trick. It would allow our guards and small forward to play even better perimeter defense.