1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kobe tanked the Kings game?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jebus, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Another stupid melodrama for the Fakers..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=240411023

The Kings were dominating, playing with more desperation and passion than they've shown during the last seven weeks. But even in a defeat that probably relegated them to the fourth seed, the Lakers stole the spotlight with another unique controversy.

Bryant, the NBA's fourth-leading scorer, took just one shot while playing 21 minutes in the first half.

For reasons known only to him, Bryant -- who scored at least 34 points in each of his last five games against Sacramento -- passed up open shots, allowed Christie to bully him and didn't play his usual aggressive game until the third quarter, when the Lakers were 21 points behind.

Gary Payton scored 15 points and Karl Malone had 13 for the Lakers, who lost for the third time in four games -- their worst stretch since the All-Star break. Shaquille O'Neal had just 10 points and five rebounds.

O'Neal also got just one shot in the first half, but he played 12 minutes because of foul trouble. Bryant clearly decided to stop shooting, and the Lakers suffered.

Bryant's bizarre reticence might have been a response to coach Phil Jackson's recent criticism of the superstar's game. Jackson said the Lakers frequently suffer when Bryant concentrates solely on driving and scoring.

So Bryant, 23-of-72 from the field over the last three games, played perhaps the least aggressive half of his NBA career. His lone shot was a missed 3-pointer when the shot clock was winding down midway through the second quarter.

2. Bookit

Bookit Member

That is one crazy team. :p

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

not the first time he's done this to his basketball team

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I can't wait until he plays for our team! :D

5. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

they're looking to play the mavs instead of the rockets.

6. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

good for them... but now we have to play the kings.

i'd enjoy beating the kings more though, actually. since i don't dislike the lakers as much as most people on this board. i in fact like them as a team. hate the kings though. we can NEVER beat them... sheesh. oh and mike bibby is on that team too.

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Damn him, I needed the Kings to go to 3 OT's today to help us tomorrow.

Between Kobe and you guys screwing us over, it's really making it hard for the Nugs to get in the playoffs! :p

8. JamesC

JamesC Member

Kobe didnt look like he was really trying. He can get his shot off on just about anybody in the league when he wants too. He looked like he just wanted the exercise. But then again, he is arrogant enough to pull that kind of stunt to prove a point.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

kobe's like the only player who plays mind games with his coaches and not the other way around.

maybe he feels like with all the crap he's had to deal with this season and the fact he brings the most effort every night (it sure ain't shaq that does) he doesn't need to be told he shouldn't shoot as much, especially when he's gotten lots of mention as the second half of the season mvp.

plus, anything that makes the lakers lose is ok in my book.

10. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I would love to see this team implode right before play-off. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys: Zzz-Master, Karla, Shaq, Kobe, & Fox (in that order).

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A weird run of games. They win 10 in a row and have now dropped....3, right? And this last one was not by a slim margin.

Did Kobe have some sort of setback at his trial? Mood swings from the accused?

Could be the Lakers do want the Mavs in the first round.

Or Kobe wants to get back at his coach: This is what you're gonna be missing next year.

Or this is all the most worthless speculation possible and I just need something else to wake me up.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

I can understand what he did. I'm not saying it's right. But I can definately understand it. If I were in his shoes I'd consider doing the same thing. So you want to see what it's like winning without me. Here you go. Prove it. Kobe had a point to make. He made it. Nobody is immune to criticism, but Kobe has won three titles, and proven himseld over and over again. He can coach himself at this point. Sometimes the player has to make a staement too.

13. Sean Reynolds

Sean Reynolds Member

I hear Kobe's girl aint putting out, that is why his game isn't 'on'. :D

14. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Winning without him is fine, but not trying when you're actually on the court... that's just disrespectful to your team, to the opposition, to the game itself.

#14 Bailey, Apr 12, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  15. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

I'll go one step further, PhiSlammaJamma....I agree with what he did.
    I'm not a Kobe(the person) fan, but he had to prove his point and had to prove it before the playoffs so the GURU and the rest of the HOFs understand who they're going to win with.
    The last several years, it's been Shaq's team, but no longer.
    MDE my ass.............

CAN..........YOU............DIG......IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.........or maybe they're the only team in the west that fears the Rockets........
    :p

Slightly off topic.
    It's this sort of sh|t that makes all those Shaq-is-better-than-Hakeem people look like dumb@sses.
    At this point in his career, Hakeem was still in his prime dominating in a league with better competition.

CAN..........YOU............DIG......IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The LA media are all over him. Some fans suggested that it's the media that are running him out of town next season. They are criticizing him for shooting too much even after a win (sounds familiar here :D ).

But if Kobe chooses to go AWOL against their biggest rival just to make a point, that just shows how immature and unprofessional he is. I like how a radio guy in LA said in criticizing the Lakers (as a team, not just Kobe) that the team is ripping their fans off by showing up only in the 4th quarters in most games they play in the regular season.

Man, how I hate the Lakers. They are just a bunch of arrogant snobs. They think they can just turn their game on and off like that.

17. dirtyfithynasty

There is no reason to believe that they would get Dallas if they lost, so that isn't a great reason.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Kobe has done this before, but he usually racks up 9 or 10 assists.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This Laker team whines more than any team I've ever seen...including this year's Rockets. ;)

Watching SC earlier, I saw the interviews with Shaq and Phil talking about the game and how Vlade flops every time and fools the refs. If he flops so much, why doesn't Shaq turn around and take him face to face with a jumper or off the dribble? Oh wait...nevermind.

20. drapg

drapg Member