1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis vs. Sam Cassell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMan Tex, Nov 2, 2000.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I am excited about watching this matchup tonight, especially after what happened last year. I hope Franchise comes out with an attitude that he has something to prove, defensively as well as offensively. I hope that he plays with more control than Tuesday night as well. It should be fun to watch. But I also must admit I still have a soft spot for Sam-I-am. I really enjoyed watching him when he was a Rocket.

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

2. University Blue

The difference between Cassell and Francis, at this point in their respective careers, is that one (like many of the younger players) is (are) more concerned with making the highlight reel, doing and saying the right thing to attract commercial endorsements. Cassell is guilty of this to a lesser degree, but the characteristic that sets Cassell apart from many other players is that he plays with pride and delivers when it counts.

Francis is young and when he reaches the point where he doesn't feel he has as much to prove (to a national audience) -- maybe then, he will begin to play within the context of the game.

------------------
    Not only have the Drew bashers crossed the line, but they've sprinted a couple of miles beyond it.

3. OT

OT Member

UB
    It's called experience. Sam has 6 years of it and Steve only has 1. Sam was the same way when he was a rookie.

------------------

4. Odiggidy

Odiggidy Member

So are you saying that Sam is not concerned about attracting commercial endorsements? Please. Aside from pro-ball players rather lucrative contracts endorsements are major sources of income for them. All ball players want to attract endorsements. Maybe you're trying to say Francis does this to the detriment of the team? If so, how?

Exactly how does Francis not play within the context of the game? Especially in comparison to Sam Cassell. I seem to remember one of the main knocks folks had against Sam, was that though he was a great spark off of the bench, sometimes he played a little out of control and definitely out the "dump it to Hakeem" style of offense we played back then.

Hey I hate Francis's turnover tendencies as much as the next person, but I think to say that this (our whatever flaw you see in his game) can be attributed him showing off for the media and not playing within the context of our offense is unfair and completely off-base. It's youth and inexperience, that's it period.

------------------

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

the characteristic that sets Cassell apart from many other players is that he plays with pride and delivers when it counts

And my boy ET's got a much better supporting cast around him than Francis does. Sammy does consistantly deliver when it counts, and has been doing that since his rookie year. He also plays out of control at times, but has improved greatly in that area since his Rocket days. Cassell's biggest advantage over Francis is that he (like Brandon, see the first game) knows when to pass and when to score. Stevie's still learning the nuances.

Francis has better physical tools for the PG position than anyone the Rocks have ever had. He just needs to refine his game and hone his skills some. Potential is an ugly word until its been realized.

------------------

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Esp considering that Francis seems to only
    have like 4 years of exp TOTAL
    [1 - in high school
    1 - at Jo Co
    1 - in college and
    1 in the NBA]

NOTICE they both went to SAN JAC!!

Rocket River
    Houston Farm System . . . . SAN JAC!!

------------------

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cassell is a great player - plays with enthusiasm and skill.

It is always fun to watch him go nuts on the floor.

Steve, however, will be much better. Right now, Steve is a better, but Sam knows more and is the better player.

Steve simply cannot compete with experience, nor should he be expected to do so.

I do, however, think Steve will "learn" much more quickly than Sam did.

I hope Sam plays well, but I want Steve to play better (so he is not allowed to embarrass him, just out-duel him). [​IMG]

------------------
    EZLN

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Right NOW, Cassel is head and shoulders better then Steve, because he plays SMARTER.

Steve is a more gifted athlete, but until he plays smart on a consistent basis, we will always be talking about his potential to be a star.

He ain't one yet.

DaDakota

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oddigity,

You have a point, but some players already have that "6th" sense about playing the game.

Right now, I would take Andre Miller over Francis. He plays a more intelligent brand of ball, and is a more complete player.

I think Francis SHOULD eventually be a superstar, but right now, he needs to calm down.

DaDakota - I call em as I see em.

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

10. Odiggidy

Odiggidy Member

DaDa,
    I too like Miller, the young man is smooth, poised, and patient. I think Francis could definitely take some of the calmness of Miller, how he waits for the offense to develop and doesn't push things.

With that being said though, I would have to still go with Francis. I think he has more potential than Miller or Cassell. Also experience is only as good as what you take from it. Steve seems like the type to learn from his mistakes and work hard to get better.

If you take into account the fact that Steve has not played many years of organized ball, then you would have to assume he's a quick study. Because as any park legend can tell you, you don't make it to the NBA level of play with talent alone.

------------------

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DaDa-You really think the Rockets would have won more games if we had Andre Miller instead of Steve Francis last year?

I like Miller a lot, and on certain teams, he'd have been more successful. But this team is probably better now, and almost certainly in the future with Francis.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited November 02, 2000).]

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

You would take Miller over Francis [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Odiggidy

Odiggidy Member

Hey if there's someone critizing Francis I knew DaDakota would be hear soon to get his shots in... [​IMG]

Seriously though Da', Francis is already a star as far as basketball fans are concerned. Now is he an "allstar"? No, he's not quite there yet(but it is a long season and who know's how fast he'll mature).

Also, I really have problem with how easily poeple through around the term "smart" in relation to ball players. I for one have always been from the school of thought that basketball more than any other sport is more instinct and repetition than intellect.

I mean why did we pratice those jumpshots 30 to 100 times from different spots on the court at practice. So that you would not have to think about your shot.
    Why did we run all of those ball handling drills, up and down the court. So that we would not have to think about(our look at)where the ball was, it was like it was part of our hand, no thought required.
    Why did we run through the different offensive sets over and over again with different defenses thrown at us. So that we would not have to think about when to pass or when to shoot.
    Why did we run those defensive drills over and over again, focusing on our defensive stance and guiding the offensive player where we wanted him to go. So that this would be second nature to us and we would not have to think about it.

What I'm saying is that basketball is such a fastpaced sport that most decisions are made in a heartbeat leaving not a lot of time for thought, but actions based on experience. Do you really think that Gary Payton is thinking about his defense while he's on the court, Or is Jason Kidd thinking about where the ball is going all the time on a fastbreak, or even that Stockon (though I loathe using him)knows or is thinking about where the ball is going to go on the next pick and roll. I say no. I say alot of those decisions are made in moments and mostly based on how the defense reacts. If the defense reacts with A.) I do this, or if the defense reacts with B.) then I do that.

So basically this was my rather long winded way of saying that it's experience and not smarts that make the player. Once Francis gets some experience under his belt he'll be just fine.

[This message has been edited by Odiggidy (edited November 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Odiggidy (edited November 02, 2000).]

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Forget Francis vs. Cassell, I want my Collier vs. Pryzbilla! [​IMG]

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good call, Nike, I had forgotten about that aspect.

The coaches should give both heavy playing time to settle this.

------------------
    EZLN