1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Maloney, Eldridge Recasner, Brent Price...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Dec 20, 2003.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

How hard can it be to find slow, athletically challenged, sweet shooting back-up point guard from the CBA? They did it to their own demise in the Hakeem era. Moochie Norris has absolutely no business on the court. He brings absolutely nothing to the team. He's a poor defender, has lost the quickness that got him his ridiculous contract, and is a horrible shooter. He is hurting the team every time he pump fakes out of an open shot and puts the ball on the floor, allowing the defense to react. Even someone like Matt freaking Maloney could make defenses pay with the wide open looks Moochie has had. Maybe I can understand not bringing in a veteran point guard, but there is no excuse for not bringing in anyone as a replacement at this point.

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

How about moving him out of the rotation and giving Wilkes an opportunity?

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I been thinking this for 2 years now.

There should be someone out there, but the rox aren't willing to let that long fat contract sit on the bench I guess.

Mooch used to bring energy a long time ago. Now he just stinks.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I mean normally when you're talking about replacing someone, you think about what you are losing. In this case, they are losing NOTHING! Moochie doesn't add anything on offense OR defense! At this point, I don't see how anyone that can dribble the ball up the court and hit an open jumpshot can't be considered a better alternative.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's really not too much to ask out of a back up PG. Bring the ball up the court, don't turn the ball over, pass in to the post, and hit the open tre. These guys used to come a dime a dozen. Why can't we find one?

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We've got too much crap tied up in contracts to bother looking for one at the moment.

8. Charvo

Charvo Member

If CD cuts Moochie, I think that pretty much puts a nail in CD's GM career with NBA teams. I think Van Gundy is doing CD a favor by even just playing Moochie a few minutes each game.

9. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Whats even more pathetic about LD is, as tired as everyone was after a 4 games in 5 days routine, he was probably the most rested rotation player and he was STILL the worst. I think the rockets are doomed at the point guard position as a franchise. Can't we get just 1 decent one in all of rocket's history? :(

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Great idea. I think some time on the pine as the BACKUP-backup PG might do Mooch some good.

11. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

Yes, Moochie is trash. I think they should look at maybe even signing Tim Hardaway or even Mark Jackson as backup. Jackson woudl work well, since he knows JVG's system and is a smart crafty veteran.

12. mingboki

mingboki Member

Jay Williams of the bulls is about to be bought out much like Eddie Griffin was. Why dont the rockets sign him and see if he recovers? A 50% JWill is still better than Moochie.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Brent Price actually came to the Rockets as a fairly expensive free agent, then got injured and had a forgettable stay in Htown. Matt Maloney also signed a big contract and then was such a bust we released him and ate his salary (believe he still counts against our cap to this day). Seems to me like Moochie fits the mold of those two players perfectly. He was a no-name guy who the Rockets took a chance on, and was productive pre-contract. Maybe the solution is never signing guys to big contracts. I'd love to have the old Moochie playing for the Rox.

I was a big fan of Williams' game back when he was called "Jason" and wore a Blue Devils uniform. Now he's a shell of his former self. Do you think the Bulls would release him if they thought he still had game?

14. Charvo

Charvo Member

I've got no problem with contracts to reward players, but the length of the contract is the questionable part. Why Rudy T and CD thought enough of Moochie to sign him a deal that goes through 2006-2007 is beyond me. Giving long-term contracts to mediocre players kills teams in the NBA.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wilkes is really quick, and could become like an Earl Boykins type of player.

I would at least give him a shot....he can't do any worse than Mooch.

DD

16. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I agreee Cab, but the problem is not finding them. The problem is resisting the Rocket Temptation to lavish so much money on them that we can not sign the next one when he/she comes along. It's like a gambling habit -- we just can not afford these mediocre players any more, they eat up too much of our cap space when they inevitably fleece us. Aren't we still paying Maloney? Seriously, we should call him. Or Eldridge, who is good karma.

17. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

A great idea, let's trade Moochie for J William and Fizer! :D

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

My 2 cents...

ESPN had a story about Jay Williams and Bobby Hurley this past week. If the presentation was accurate, I would have to say that right now the average CFans poster is more mobile and has a stronger left leg than Jay Will. Tragic.

Moochie never was all that good. He was a flamboyant fan favorite who played spot minutes in an ISO offense. His role is different under Van Gundy.

Moochie won't be protected in the Charlotte expansion draft. The expansion rules for the Bobcats are radically different than for any other NBA expansion team ever and I see a great deal of player movement next summer. IMHO, the Rockets' huge trade exception can/will make them a prime player and I look for Moochie to be a BobCat in 2004-05. 3 years at ~$11.9m is not all that much for a backup PG when someone is throwing future 1st rounders at you (not the Rox picks, the TE partners).

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I agree that Jay Williams is done -- hope he gets a nice buyout and a Bull's organiz

Now, as far as Lawrence Norris, goes -- why would the Bobcats select him in the draft? I know you are using the TE to entice them into a deal, but please elaborate on the scenarios you envision. I am feeling particularly dense this Sunday p.m., especially after last night's loss to the (ugh) Suns.

20. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

organizational position. (arghhh -- no edit).