1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terry Mills

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Oatdog, Oct 4, 2000.

1. Oatdog

Oatdog Member

He was just granted a release, and I don't know a better place for him. He'd fit in great here with his size and his 39% 3 pt. shooting. Yeah, he's not a great a defender, but he can't be worse than Matt Bullard who was very effective at the 4 spot at times last year. Mills started for a playoff club last year too, so he's not a scrub. His defensive rebounding is good too, which means he will give us more than outside shooting. I say sign him. We may not already have too many players, but you can absolutely guarantee yourself that one of these three big guys: Los, Hakeem, or Cato will be injured at all times during the year. Why not go ahead and get insurance before it happens? I don't want to see Bill Curley back here. Collier will still get his minutes too if Mills is signed.

------------------

2. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Oatdog,

Put down the pipe. Didn't you mention Tracy Murray once as well?

But for the hell of it, light up one more rock and tell us how you think he'd fit in out system and how you would play him to utilize his talents to the fullest.

------------------
    Watch...the Wizard is gonna work magic this year!

3. RENDIGGLER3:20

Well I have never really liked the guy but when I heard he was going to be release the first thing that came to mind was that he would be a perfect man to keep on the Injured Reserve with Bull.If he can do one thing thats hit the outside shot and everyones always talking about we need a big man that can hit the outside shot to open the lane for our guards,well thats what he can do.

------------------

4. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

RENDIGGLER3:20,

We've got Bullard, Langhi, Collier, and Kenny Thomas (he could get better in the 3 jacking department).

Do we need Terry Mills? That would be like wasting a high draft pick on point guard.

------------------

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

perfect T-Ham replacement!!!

Rockets need more fatties on the team.

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of lies:

lies, lies, and heypeeisms.

-DrofDunkingDonuts

6. RENDIGGLER3:20

Well if Collier can prove hiself thats another story Im still thinking he is going to be a bust but if not thats great.

------------------

7. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Crisco,

Let's figure out all of the fat-asses we could sign 1-5.

PG: Khalid El-Amin isn't signed yet
    PF: Oliver Miller. He'd get traded just to save gas money and jet fuel.
    C: Stanley Roberts for a comeback. He and Oliver Miller could Sumo wrestle for a workout.

Find a fat SG and SF to "round out" the roster.

------------------

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

hmm, I know Tim Hardaway isn't really fat, but he is "stocky", and he can chunck up the shots as good as any sg.

and for SF, as Ahmad Craplicker would say, my "main man" Dennis Scott.

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of lies:

lies, lies, and heypeeisms.

-DrofDunkingDonuts

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

We're too late. Mills is probably headed to the Pacers and will be a good fit.

------------------
    GATER

10. AxSomebody

AxSomebody Contributing Member

Pass 1st, Shoot 2nd...
    Stanley Roberts is suspended from the league because of a positive mar1juana test from what I understand.
    I think I've seen a similar discussion about the idea of having Hersey Hawkins on the team...
    I feel the same way about Terry Mills. Great insurance policy, but he's just a hired gun who I don't see the Rockets signing (even though he wouldn't be a bad guy to have around). I am usually off when it comes to stuff like this, but I think that the Lakers could use him or he may end up getting picked up by a New York.....
    What happened to Hersey will probably happen to Terry....I see him getting signed to a bigger role on another team in the near future.

------------------

11. AxSomebody

Well, once again, I am wrong on the team...but I did call that he'd get snatched up by someone else quickly [​IMG]

------------------

12. Oatdog

Oatdog Member

P1st, why don't you put your crack pipe down and tell me how Terry does not fit this team? He's like Bullard in a body big enough to lean on Shaq (not stop, lean and hack) and other big centers. No other center in the league shoots as well as Terry from the outside - not Perkins, not Sabonis, nobody. He'd keep the lanes open all dang day for the guards. Collier has not proven anything yet. Honestly, if we have a reason to pay Bullard this year, then we have a reason to pay Mills, because he does the exact same thing at a position where those offensive qualities are a lot more rare and useful for this team. He would be perfect insurance for all those injuries our frontcourt is bound to have. Whether he would want to come here is questionable, but I don't know anybody else lining up for him other than maybe Indiana. BTW, I never mentioned Tracy, but I did mention Yinka...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Oatdog (edited October 04, 2000).]

13. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Oatdog,

He's repetitive on our roster. And I think that he's a power forward that plays SOME center. Where are the front court injuries that you speak of? Dream doesn't count since he's a given to ride the IR and the pine for long stints because of his health and unfortunate demise.

Guys that are given releases aren't the answer to our problems. People give Bullard crap for being one dimensional, but he can shoot AND help other players score with his tenacity for setting picks. Collier is better than Mills, although I think Mills will always be a better three point shooter. But we don't need perimeter help now. Look at our roster! We need post play and defense. Where does Mills fit in there?

------------------

14. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Oatdog,

One more thing...Go look at nba.com and compare Bullard and Mills, both of whom are listed as 6'10" POWER FORWARDS. You want three point shooting from a big man, right?

Mills played in more games because Bull had to be hidden on the IR for a while. Mills boards more (4.2 to like 2 for Bull). Point is they are similar players, but for what you want and what the Rockets need Bullard is already taking up that role.

I think that we need insurance at the point. Right now if any of our three guards goes down, the other two need to play 48 minutes or Walt has to play out of position-way out of position. For all of the Walt bashers who want him out because of defense, do you want him getting burned by point guards and shooting guards?

------------------

15. Oatdog

Oatdog Member

Like I said before, Mills started for a playoff team at center last year. Now, he wasn't an all star, but he did start. Bullard would never get the chance to start on any team, let alone at center. Mills is way beefier than Bullard, and I could see him coming in for a few minutes, leaning on Shaq on D, and then drawing him out to the perimeter on O just like Divac and Sabonis did last year. If Mills is repetitive with someone on the team, it's Collier. However, Collier's a rookie, and I really don't know what to expect from him.

Granted, we aren't in dire need for Mills. I'm just saying he's a guy out there who really fits our system well and we should give some real consideration to signing. Out of Los, Hakeem, Bullard, and Cato, you know some of them are going to have extended stays on the DL. They're just injury prone at this point in their careers (Cato to a lesser extent). Why not add Mills for cheap if you can?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Oatdog (edited October 05, 2000).]

16. AxSomebody

OatDog, don't mind P1, S2...
    He's a cool guy, but he tends to like shooting down ideas if they're not his own [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by AxSomebody (edited October 05, 2000).]

17. Hydra

Hydra Member

Don't we have 4 guards:
    SA
    Francis
    Cat
    Moochie
    [​IMG]

------------------
    David Stern calls me now and says, 'I apologize for all the things I said to you in the past. Dennis is a lot worse than you are.' -- Charles Barkley

18. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Shandon is a swingman who plays SF as well as the 2. So we really have an extra player on our roster

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

19. Oatdog

Oatdog Member

Those damn Pacers!

------------------

20. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Mill's isn't out there anymore. The Pacers signed him.

------------------
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.

Remember, when someone annoys you it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and pimp-slap the mother****** upside the head!