1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma State.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Fatty FatBastard

I HATE these types of games.

To preface, I am a Texas Tech alum.

End of 1st Quarter-Oklahoma State 14, Texas Tech 7.

End of 2nd Quarter-Oklahoma State 34, Texas Tech 14.

End of 3rd Quarter-Oklahoma State 48, Texas Tech 21.

Then the fun begins.
    (1st, the refs blew sooooo many obvious calls that put Tech into this deficit in the first place. I'm never for fans getting into games, but if there were refs that deserved a good punch in the face, it was today.)

4th Quarter-Symons drives down the field for 7. OK State 48, TTech 28.

Onside kick-Tech recovers. Drives down again. OK State 48, TTech 35.

OK State drives but manages nothing. Punts to Tech, who drive down the field again. OK State 48, TTech 42.

OK State drives the field. 1st and goal at the 2. 1st down-nada. 2nd down, nothing. 3rd down, zilch. 4th down, (yes.... they are going for it) false start. OK settles for a FG. OK State 51, TTech 42.

Tech recieves. Tech drives down the field again! OK State 51, TTech 49.

Tech fails on the onside kick. OK State again gets nothing. 4th down, OK decides to do a fake punt. They fail. Tech ball.

Tech does two plays to get to OK State's 45 with 1:30 left.

Then the **** hits the fan.

1st down, Symons sacked for loss of 15.
    2nd down, Symons throws a stupid pass that is intercepted. No timeouts. Game Over.

What KILLS me is that the ref's took this game away from them time and time again. The last INT was clean, but that's NO EXCUSE!!!

I'm going to go get drunk now. See y'all.

2. Fatty FatBastard

One aside: At the end of the second quarter, OK State faces 3rd and long. QB goes back to pass, and Tech sacks him for a loss of 15. Flag on The Play?!?

Ref says that one of our defenders made a late hit on the sack which was such a bullsh!t call that even the announcers were moaning. (2nd guy hits the QB 1/2 second after the sack. Just falls on him, no malice, nothing!!!)

Puts OK State in FG range. They take the chip shot for three.

We LOST THE GAME BY TWO!!!!

Refs need to be suspended for crap like this.

Damn I'm pissed!

3. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

Tech just doesn't have the defense to make it happen. Symon's numbers are terrific. If Tech had a decent defense, Symons would easily be the leading candidate for the Heisman. This game really hurts his chances.

4. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It could have been worse, Fatty.

I was watching that game AND Florida against Arkansas.

Florida was winning 33-14 at Arkansas in the 4th quarter. The Hogs scored 2 touchdowns to make it 33-28. Then that Chris Leak of Florida throws a terrible pass that is intercepted by Arkansas with about 2 minutes left to go in the game in Florida territory.

However, one thing happened on that play in addition to the interception...a roughing the passer penalty on Arkansas.:(

So, Florida lucks out and gets to keep the ball and since Arkansas has no timeouts left, the Gators ran out the clock and won.

What a crappy way to lose a game if you are a Hogs fan.

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

The refs didnt cost them this game, plain and simple you cannot expect to win if you give up 51 points. As a Tech fan I would like to say the refs cost them the game but they didnt. They didnt play defense that is what cost them.

Its all good though I was just hoping for a split for the games against OSU and Missouri. I still think that is very possible

6. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

Wow. The officiating was bad, and there were some calls that went against Tech, but WAY more calls went against the Pokes. How about 3 of your defenders being in our backfield before the snap and there is no call and Tatum gets dropped for a 12 yard loss!!! A terrible no call. On the on side kick you recovered, half the team was offsides just waiting for the bounce. Rashaun gets flagged for offensive PI and 3-4 plays later gets mugged and there is no call. Equally bad roughing the passer on us that let you continue a drive as the one you refered to. We got too conservative on both sides of the ball in the 4th quarter and were worn out and Tech got into it again late, but we definietly outplayed Tech overall. It was a valiant comeback and I give you credit for it, but the Pokes are just better. By the way, Symons taunting our fans when you were still losing was real classy. I wonder if Leach thinks Les is more than just a "good scheduler" now. Go Pokes!

7. Fatty FatBastard

RiceRocket1: While I appreciate your comments, they are FAR skewed.

To say that OSU outplayed us in the first half is completely appropriate. But TECH was coming back hard. Your coach knew it . Your fan's knew it. You knew it.

I give OSU props. I felt we would dominate, and we didn't. It was a well played game that the ref's decided. (either team could've won).

But to say Tech was simply outplayed is juvinile.... and naive.

OSU won. Ref's should be banned. End of story.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Fatty has been temporarily possessed by the soul of TheCat.

9. junglerules

junglerules Member

Classic! :) These threads just prove that homerism is alive and well in the BBS....

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Leak went to high school somewhere in Texas, didn't he?

11. tozai

tozai Member

No.

It's crazy that Tech could have won after the way they played.

12. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Our defense really really fu#king sucks!

If we had even a DECENT defense - this game is ours.

Im pissed, but what can you do with a sh!tty kicker and a crappy D?

@ Mizzou - W
    Colorado - W
    @ Baylor - W
    @ Texas - W (overtime upset prediction :))
    OU - L

FINAL RECORD: 9-3 (ranked 20th in the nation)

Im an optimist!!

13. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I agree completely Drewdog. We'd be so much better if we had a below-average defense, but the youth on that side of the ball is overwhelming. Too many mistakes lead to tons of points on the board against you.

Too bad B.J. Doesn't have another year of eligibility. Hopefully performance doesn't drop off too bad next season, as Welker is a senior as well.

14. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'm still amazed that Tech which is a semi- big time football program can have a defense this bad. I hope its the youth rather than just lack of talent. But I'm not so sure any more. They have to step up or they will probaly go 7-5 which is amazing considering how well this offense is clicking.

15. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

No way they loose three more games. They just played the most balanced offense in the conference if not the country (Bell leads the Big 12 in rushing yards and TDS even though he was benched for an entire game and Rashaun leads the Big 12 in receiving yards and TDs). If anyone besides OU beats Tech from here on out I'll be surprised. I know going to Austin will be hard on them, but I think they'll get it done.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

That's very possible. The Horns' pass defense is piss poor. There have been huge holes in our secondary all year long. Cedric Griffin and Michael Huff couldn't guard my grandmother. Dakarai Pearson is hurting right now as well. I see Welker/Glover/Francis/Peters having a big day. When it comes down to it, the Horns don't have 4 guys that can stick with them.

The key will be whether or not Texas can run on Tech. If we can put together a few long drives, it will keep the Red Raider offense off the field. Expect a high scoring game, with BJ or Sloan coming up big. I penciled this game in as a loss at the beginning of the year, and I'll stick with it.