1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Question: False Starts / Delay of Games

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Major, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Major

Major Member

OK, during the Tulane game, Texas used the "delay-of-game" strategy to run some clock and end the game. This also happened once by accident in the K-State game with a false start on Texas' last drive.

Each time, the clock is running, we run the play clock to 0, take a delay/false start penalty, and the clock runs another 25 seconds again. My question is why can't a team just take 18 delay of game / false-start penalties and run out 8-10 minutes of clock if they are up by 5 or 6 points?

At first, we thought it was maybe not during the last 2 minutes, but we used that against Tulane to end the game. It happened in a close game (K-State, also happened against us in the Colorado B12 title game) and in a blowout (Tulane). It happened when we did it on purpose (Tulane) and then by accident (K-State).

Anyone know the rule on this?

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Probably has something to do with an offensive losing clock as well as yards when the game is under 2 or 5 minutes. I know in the NFL when the time is winding down at the end of the half or game if the offense commits a penalty they run the clock down.

3. drapg

drapg Member

Perhaps because the other team could deny the penalty, subsequently forcing a 2nd down, than 3rd, than 4th and a punt.

Of course I've never seen a team deny a DoG penalty, so I don't know if that's even allowed, since it occurs before the snap (like a false start)

4. Major

Major Member

Probably has something to do with an offensive losing clock as well as yards when the game is under 2 or 5 minutes. I know in the NFL when the time is winding down at the end of the half or game if the offense commits a penalty they run the clock down.

That's what we thought, but Texas did it both with 4 minutes left (K-State) and under a minute left (Tulane). In this case, though, running the clock down due to an offensive penalty is even better because the offense is trying to run clock.

Of course I've never seen a team deny a DoG penalty, so I don't know if that's even allowed, since it occurs before the snap (like a false start)

Yup - neither delay or false start penalties can be declined.

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

oooh a thread about my favorite loophole. i was telling people yesterday we should've done this on purpose to kstate to end the game (though they had 3 timeouts so really it wouldn't have worked). i really just wanna see some team do it, not b/c i don't think it wouldn't be chicken**** to do, but just to let everyone know what a stupid rule it is. it also happened last year against ou when they had the ball w/ about 5 minutes left. i will say, yesterday against kstate when we did it with 14 seconds left, the clock didn't run until we snapped it but maybe we just snapped it as soon as it was set.

anyway, if someone can get an actual official ruling on this that would be great b/c i've been thinking it was stupid for a long time to give the offense an advantage for their mistake.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I can't believe I didn't notice this till this season.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't believe the game clock is suppose to start after a delay of game penalty or a false start. Against the Tulane game, the clock keeper was being merciful by letting the game clock run.

8. Major

Major Member

I don't believe the game clock is suppose to start after a delay of game penalty or a false start. Against the Tulane game, the clock keeper was being merciful by letting the game clock run.

I dunno -- it happened against K-State on Saturday and Colorado in the B12 title game, and f4p said it happened against OU last year as well. It seems weird for no one to complain in critical situations (teams down by 1 possession with 5 or less minutes left).

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is the wierdest thing, has this been going on before this season. There has to be some sort of explanation.