1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy impresses his Olympic players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old School, Aug 31, 2000.

1. Old School

Old School Member

From the Chronicle:

Olympians wowed by Tomjanovich

By FRAN BLINEBURY

AHAINA, Hawaii -- It began in a room that was as laid-back as the swaying palm trees lining the beach, as loose as a hula dancer's hips. But it smoked and it smoldered and it grew into something as large and powerful and fiery as the volcanoes that formed these islands.

It wasn't a speech so much as a testimonial. Not politically motivated but emotionally generated by all of the feelings and memories that still churn inside the grown-up kid from Hamtramck, Mich.

"You only get one chance to make a first impression," Rudy Tomjanovich said.

And Rudy T hit nothing but net in his opening remarks to Dream Team 2000.

"He won them over right there," said Rockets assistant coach Mike Wells. "When he finished talking, I think they would have run through the freakin' wall for him."

It is tricky circumstance, this Dream Team coaching gig. On the surface, the most difficult decision would seem to be whether to hit driver or three-wood off the tee in the daily round of post-practice golf at a tropical resort.

But for the entire experience to be more meaningful, truly memorable, there has got to be a deeper motivation than simply slam-dunking on another overmatched Angolan en route to the gold medal and more sneaker endorsements.

Honor brings responsibility
    "It's an honor, of course, to represent your country in anything at any time," Tomjanovich said. "And as a professional, you have a responsibility to do a job to the best of your ability.

"But in our case, I think there is an added burden. As a team of the best players from the best league in the world, we represent the game itself.

"We are basketball. The rest of the world looks to us as a standard, and it's up to us to keep the bar high."

Even when the initial reaction of the outside world is to label this bunch as Dream Team Lite. No Magic, Bird and Jordan, now retired, and no Shaq, Kobe or Tim Duncan, all of whom took a pass on Sydney.

But Rudy T will not let them feel less than worthy or capable. That's not his way. Never has been.

"That was the most important part of the message Rudy gave them," said Quinn Bucker, ex-NCAA champ, ex-NBA champ, Olympic gold medalist at Montreal in 1976 and now a vice president of USA Basketball. "From the older guys on the team like Steve Smith and Gary Payton and Alonzo Mourning to the younger guys like Ray Allen and Shareef Abdur-Rahim, he let them know it was his privilege to be their coach and their privilege to be here.

"I'll tell you, coach (Bob) Knight could get us going with some of the things he said at Indiana. But I never heard anything like Rudy. I haven't played competitively in 15 years, and I was ready to put on a uniform."

"He gave me goose bumps on my arms," said Smith.

"He gave us respect and a challenge to show the world," said Payton.

"I'll swim to Australia for him," said Kevin Garnett.

It wasn't Rudy T's intention to play the role of the Gipper or deliver an address like Lincoln at Gettysburg. He simply began talking, and it all started to come together in bits and pieces, from his distant past to beliefs he clings to today. It was a personal acknowledgment of his past and his present and all of the factors -- hard work, talent, luck -- that have brought him to this point.

An attitude of gratitude
    "I'm still the guy who grew up in Hamtramck and probably would have worked in a factory all my life if it weren't for this game," he said. "I can remember watching TV as a kid and seeing those guys standing on the podium at the Olympics, getting gold medals and hearing the national anthem playing and dreaming that it could be me.

"Now I'm living that dream. I know plenty of other players, other coaches who work as hard as I do and haven't been given the things I have, the championships, the recognition.

"Now I'm the coach of the U.S. Olympic team. Am I the most deserving guy? I don't know. But I have the chance, and I want to do it the best way I can for my country."

Some in the room had never met Tomjanovich before, so they were unfamiliar with his croaking voice and thought maybe it always cracked like that. Then they saw him pause and search for words, heard them catch in the back of his throat. This was coming from deep inside.

"You know, it's too bad we have a salary cap in the NBA," said Rockets trainer Keith Jones. "Because after them being around Rudy and seeing what he's about, I think we could take 10 of these guys back to play with us in Houston. Heck, I've got six of them in my pocket now, and we've only been here a week."

------------------
    Just Build It!

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

This is a very good experience for Rudy. He can make the players like him and in the future we can have a great chance of getting some players.

CATO, SHANDON, KENNY, WALT, DREW, DRAFT PICK for KG!

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

3. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

It great to see that Rudy is getting the respect he deserves from other NBA players.

Who knows? Maybe Kevin Garnett will demand a trade to Houston, seeing that he's willing to swim all the way to Australia for him. [​IMG]

Seriously, this could eventually pan out in our favor. Houston is already a big attraction for free agents, and this could be huge in the future. Maybe we'll get lucky and McDyess will say something like "If only I had known that Rudy was such a good coach..."

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

4. Sane

Sane Member

WOW, that's super for our free agent situation.......who are the small forwards on the dream team this year?

------------------

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is super for the Rockets, but I am really looking forward to watching the Olympics because of Rudy.

DaDakota

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

6. #1rocketsfan

#1rocketsfan Contributing Member

Maybe Webber is watching. Why isn't he there to begin with though?

------------------

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

"Some in the room had never met Tomjanovich before, so they were unfamiliar with his croaking voice and thought maybe it always cracked like that. Then they saw him pause and search for words, heard them catch in the back of his throat. This was coming from deep inside."

I always thought Rudy sounded like that cause he was drunk all the time [​IMG]
    Just kidding

Rudy is the man. I lvoe the guy. Couldnt ask for a better professional sports coach. If only we can find one like that for the Astros and the Texans??? I always liked Jeff Fisher as a football coach and all aorund guy and he did pretty well last year. Just a thought.

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I just think this is further demonstration that Rudy is one of the world's top basketball minds. How many Rudy bashers have we seen on this BBS over the past few years? How many of you are still out there and still admit it?

Not only is this guy a great coach, but he is a terrific person. That is a rare commodity in sports today.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. JR

JR Contributing Member

I will admit to some Rudy-bashing in the past. As recently as a year ago, utterly confounded by the signing of shandon anderson, drafting of steve francis and the return to 'dump its in, backing it in . . . '

But Rudy came back from the dead and changed his coaching style to suit his players (of course he was basically forced into it, but . . . )

Anyhow I've never called Rudy a bad person or a bad judge of talent but I have disagreed with some of his substitution patterns / in-game decisions. But i have to say that after seeing where this team has come from a talent and chemistry standpoint in the last 12 months and then reading stuff like this article (those quotes from the players HAD to be made up!), I have to give a big-time hand to Rudy and CD and the gang. The moves and progress in this short of a period are the kind of things that separate a championship team from a playoff hopeful. And as someone else mentioned in a recent thread, the Rockets have done it all with a class (a la hakeem, fulfilling (stupid) promises to maloney et al) that is unique and obviously appreciated by players, agents and other organizations.

i can't wait to see rudy with some of his classic sideline antics in sydney.

------------------

10. Miggidy Markell

Rudy used the post-up, back it in and kick it out offense because that is what suited those players at that time........could you imagine the Rockets of 97 or 98 doing the run and gun offense? That would be completely and utterly stupid. We had some really good post players, Dream, Charles, Willis and we also had some great three point shooters in Elie, Maloney, Johnson and Drexler could hit some. So if you look at it, that is the only offense that really suited that team. Now could you imagine this team doing that offense with Cato, Thomas and Rogers

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

"You know, it's too bad we have a salary cap in the NBA," said Rockets trainer Keith Jones. "Because after them being around Rudy and seeing what he's about, I think we could take 10 of these guys back to play with us in Houston. Heck, I've got six of them in my pocket now, and we've only been here a week."

Yikes! I just drooled all over my lap!!

------------------
    Bring It!!

12. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

RT Criticism

Okay Jeff .... I was one that criticized him. Not unmercifully like some, but criticized strongly at times. Usually about some stubborn game plan that was one dimensional and more importantly predictable and not working ... and yet he clung to it.

I am vindicated only by the fact that when he finally went to a more wide-open, alternate game with everchanging in-out, pick/roll, pierce and pass-off, control and slow, iso and zone attack and other schemes did this team began to win and gel.

But I have a lot of respect for him as a coach and a person. I do think he has had some professional off seasons, when he self-admittedly lost some of the fire and drive. Some personal problems interferred with his game. This is not unlike many players also. Or ourselves.

But,your point is taken.

RT As A Coach

I wanted to comment on RT at practice and his effect with the olympic players. Even surrounded by well travelled and lauded coaches such as Brown, etc... he remains a player's coach and a coach's marvel.

His Work

The practices are like being back in High School. He puts up with no egos, yet he lets you be who you are. He's not buddy-buddy with them, yet they can talk to him about anything , at anytime. His insight is scarry!

These guys are used to being treated by their coaches or franchise owners like gods/spoiled brats or conversely as chattel laborers. One extreme or the other. RT gives them respect. He is one of them. Just standing beside him you can see he is a player and KNOWS the game. All the simple and all the complex things that make it work. He garners trust from day one.

Then he goes to work.

And, I mean work. He keeps it up, the whole time. Drill after drill. If you complain he either smiles and jokes about your ability to keep up with the pace, or he says "well, you can take a seat if you need to", then turns his attention on someone else. You of course, stay in there and plug away. Then about fifteen minutes later he looks over at you and grins at you,as if to say ... " see, that wasn't so bad", and from then on, you would go to hell and back for him.

"No Ego"

He never allows his ego clash with the game or a player's ego. There is no Win-Lose standoffs between the coach and the player. This is a bigger issue in Pro-Sports than some would imagine.

RT will never hurt you with the press. No back stabbing. No embarassment. Some of you do not know how important that is to a professional athlete.

He truly gets some deep, deep respect from the people that are the heart of this game.

Larry Brown said two or three days ago that he would be happy to put on a uniform and play for Coach Rudy. "Today,right now! (laughs) He is a coach I would have loved to play for."

[This message has been edited by oeilpere (edited September 01, 2000).]

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I thought the Olympics would be a good recruiting tool for future years, but this is great! I know we may not see any results for a couple of years but it is great that RT impreesed everyone like he did.
    Hopefully somewhere down the line either one of these players directly, or even one of their teammates that learns about RT form one of them, will consider the Rockets even more heavily because of Rudy.

------------------

14. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Duh. That sounds so pompous. I should have said:

"Some of US do not know OR FORGET how important that is to a .......blah ...blah ...blah ..."

Sometimes I sound awfully preachy. Sorry. Just trying to make a point and got carried away..

15. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

Oeilpere

How do you know so much about Rudy's practice schemes and habits? have you had any personal experience with him, or are you merely presuming?

------------------
    Oh.. so this is how you add a signature huh? coo coo.