ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Hangout > BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion

New Tax Bill Gives Increased Child Care Credit to Parents...But Not if they are Poor?
RocketMan Tex is offline Old 05-29-2003, 09:30 AM   #1
RocketMan Tex
Contributing Member
RocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #97
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/29/politics/29CHIL.html

No child credit to families with incomes between $10,500 and $26,625?????

WTF??????

If this is true, both houses of Congress, as well as the pResident, should be drawn, quartered, tarred and feathered. This is absolutely disgusting to me, and I don't even have any children!!!!!

Sponsored Link
Preston27 is offline Old 05-29-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
Preston27
Contributing Member
Preston27 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3550
More proof. That's all I have to say.

Shouldn't this be in the debate forum, by the way?

Preston27 is offline Old 05-29-2003, 09:42 AM   #3
Preston27
Contributing Member
Preston27 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3550
Doh, it was in debate.

mc mark is offline Old 05-29-2003, 09:45 AM   #4
mc mark
Contributing Member
mc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Aug 1999
Member: #698
and another thing...

All the explanations talk about either a single person or a married couple with children. Nowhere does it talk about a break for a married couple with no kids. I guess we won't be getting a check.

Rockets2K is offline Old 05-29-2003, 10:00 AM   #5
Rockets2K
Clutch Crew
Rockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Mar 2000
Member: #1351
Quote:
Originally posted by mc mark
and another thing...

All the explanations talk about either a single person or a married couple with children. Nowhere does it talk about a break for a married couple with no kids. I guess we won't be getting a check.
well..it is a child credit right?
kinda hard to get a child credit if you have no children..

mc mark is offline Old 05-29-2003, 10:09 AM   #6
mc mark
Contributing Member
mc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchmc mark is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Aug 1999
Member: #698
Rocket I know...

I was just being silly...

wouldabeen23 is offline Old 05-29-2003, 11:33 AM   #7
wouldabeen23
Contributing Member
wouldabeen23 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9489
RocketMan Tex,

Are you truly suprised by this? A leftover adminstration of Reganites and Bush Sr. cronies....

Rockets2K is offline Old 05-29-2003, 11:35 AM   #8
Rockets2K
Clutch Crew
Rockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsRockets2K is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Mar 2000
Member: #1351
Quote:
Originally posted by mc mark
Rocket I know...

I was just being silly...

OMG! being silly in the D&D forum?

sorry...not used to that around here..

No Worries is offline Old 05-29-2003, 11:48 AM   #9
No Worries
Contributing Member
No Worries is James Harden -- racking up the pointsNo Worries is James Harden -- racking up the pointsNo Worries is James Harden -- racking up the pointsNo Worries is James Harden -- racking up the pointsNo Worries is James Harden -- racking up the pointsNo Worries is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Jun 1999
Member: #584
Quote:
Originally posted by RocketMan Tex
No child credit to families with incomes between $10,500 and $26,625?????

WTF??????
There is a very simple explanation for this. The overwhelming majority of people who make between $10K and $26K are Democrats and likely did not vote for Bush. Makes sense now?

Trader_Jorge is offline Old 05-29-2003, 11:50 AM   #10
Trader_Jorge
Contributing Member
Trader_Jorge is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineTrader_Jorge is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineTrader_Jorge is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4468
It's hard to give tax credits to people who *don't pay taxes in the first place*.

Mr. Clutch is offline Old 05-29-2003, 11:55 AM   #11
Mr. Clutch
Contributing Member
Mr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Nov 2002
Member: #7931
Quote:
Originally posted by No Worries
There is a very simple explanation for this. The overwhelming majority of people who make between $10K and $26K are Democrats and likely did not vote for Bush. Makes sense now?
The original bill did include the credit for those people. The Dems wanted only a $350 billion dollar tax cut, so it got cut out. The Republicans wanted a $350 billion dollar tax cut.

Read the article.

Supermac34 is offline Old 05-29-2003, 12:03 PM   #12
Supermac34
Contributing Member
Supermac34 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSupermac34 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSupermac34 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Apr 2000
Member: #1359
They already pay such a small amount of tax that giving them an extra credit would pretty much be welfare, not a tax refund.

You don't refund a credit to somebody that already hasn't paid much tax.

Pole is offline Old 05-29-2003, 12:06 PM   #13
Pole
Contributing Member
Pole is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPole is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPole is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPole is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPole is James Harden -- racking up the points
Member: #20
I haven't read the article because I've never felt like registering for the NY Times, but obviously, you're talking about the new tax bill. I'm not going to argue it's merits, but I will address this one point:

You're talking about a tax credit, correct? A tax credit offsets taxes that are paid in. I'm pretty sure that income range is specific for a reason. I can't remember all of the different types of credits available to low income individuals, but I'm pretty sure that the standard deductions and personal expemptions for a family with as little as one dependent would be pretty close to that high water mark.

In other words, what I'm trying to say is this: I don't think those people are paying any income taxes anyway, so logic would dictate that a taxing authority would not "pay" them over and above the nothing they are already paying in.

I'm not saying that the government should'nt provide them with any assistance.....I'm just saying that the IRS isn't the logical disseminator of this assistance (assuming they have a zero tax bill as I would imagine).

Pole is offline Old 05-29-2003, 12:07 PM   #14
Pole
Contributing Member
Pole is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPole is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPole is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPole is James Harden -- racking up the pointsPole is James Harden -- racking up the points
Member: #20
Great....I just typed several paragraphs to explain what several people explained while I was typing.

F.D. Khan is offline Old 05-29-2003, 12:16 PM   #15
F.D. Khan
Contributing Member
F.D. Khan is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2000
Member: #1287
Quote:
Originally posted by Trader_Jorge
It's hard to give tax credits to people who *don't pay taxes in the first place*.
You beat me to it TJ. I think its absurd that many throw around the slogans that the tax breaks are not for the poor and they are not recieving tax credits, when they pay next to nothing in taxes in the first place.

I'm sure most would gladly give up a child tax credit to be essentially not paying any taxes and be a deadweight to the rest of the population. And then bitch about not getting more.

What should we do?? Write them a check just for living in the good ole USA??

johnheath is offline Old 05-29-2003, 12:18 PM   #16
johnheath
johnheath is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Feb 2003
Member: #10857
LMAO!!!

Those mean Republicans aren't handing out cash to poor people again??

This is a classic thread. You lefties want to refund tax money that was never paid in the first place.

Mr. Clutch is offline Old 05-29-2003, 12:30 PM   #17
Mr. Clutch
Contributing Member
Mr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsMr. Clutch is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Guys, this has nothing to do with poor people not paying taxes. It has to do with the fact that a $380 billion tax cut could not pass, so they had to reduce it to $350 billion, and something had to be cut.

It doesn't look good for all involved. The article goes into some detail into how exactly it happened:

"The gap in the number of families who receive the child credit occurs because of how the formula was arranged in 2001. Congress decided then to give refunds of the credit to low income families, but just to a maximum of 10 percent of the amount they made over $10,000, or a refund of $600, whichever was lower. The $10,000 amount was indexed to inflation and is now $10,500.

When the credit was raised to $1,000, many families could not qualify for the extra amount, because the 10 percent maximum still limited them. Ms. Lincoln proposed raising the formula to 15 percent, which would have covered the increase in the credit for most of those families. Her proposal made it through the Senate Finance Committee, but later she voted against the full cut.

Because her vote and those of other supporters were not necessary for final passage, Republicans knew they could drop the provision without hurting the bill's chances in the Senate."

And now the spin begins.

MadMax is offline Old 05-29-2003, 12:32 PM   #18
MadMax
Contributing Member
MadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Sep 1999
Member: #732
so assuming i don't fall in that low income bracket...and i have one child...what amount will i be receiving this summer for child tax credit??

RocketMan Tex is offline Old 05-29-2003, 02:23 PM   #19
RocketMan Tex
Contributing Member
RocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketMan Tex is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Member: #97
Quote:
Originally posted by johnheath
LMAO!!!

Those mean Republicans aren't handing out cash to poor people again??

This is a classic thread. You lefties want to refund tax money that was never paid in the first place.
Nope. Just handing cash out to their friends, the uber-rich. As usual.

Mr. Clutch is offline Old 05-29-2003, 02:25 PM   #20
Mr. Clutch
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by MadMax
so assuming i don't fall in that low income bracket...and i have one child...what amount will i be receiving this summer for child tax credit??
$400 bucks.

The first $600 should have been applied on your return.