1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

For all those who wish to criticize Rudy please first admit that you are stupid.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Apr 26, 2003.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yes, it would make reading your post much easier if you started off by saying something like “First of all I just want to admit that compared to Rudy, basketball IQ wise, I am an idiot and now I wish to tell you why he sucks”. See then I could say well at least this poster knows he is not qualified to assess Rudy’s coaching abilities but he still wants to voice his opinion. Because if for one minute you think you have a better understanding of the game and more knowledge than a man who has devoted his life to the game than you are a naïve idiot and your post isn’t worth reading.

I understand why you might think you are qualified to assess Rudy’s coaching ability. You see that the Rockets lose to the Clippers and you think to yourself with Yao and Steve on the team how could they lose, Rudy sucks... You read the boxscore and see that Mobley shot 1 for 20 and Steve had only 4 assists, and you think Rudy sucks… You see the Kings pass the ball around with grace and ease and you say to yourself, Rudy sucks… You struggle with the fact that the Rockets have missed the playoffs for the 4th year running and you say, Rudy sucks. You see Moochie, Cato and Mo T sitting on the bench making almost a combined total of almost 20 million this year and you say to yourself, Rudy sucks… You get pissed because Amare beats out Yao for ROY and you SCREAM OUT RUDY SUCKS!

So while to you this is undeniable proof that Rudy indeed sucks, I submit to you that you are using inadequate criteria for assessing any coaches ability and even given adequate criteria you are not knowledgeable enough to evaluate any NBA coach’s ability with any degree of competency. Of course you are entitled to your opinion which is what this board is for so with that I will also state and opinion of other people who may be more qualified than you to give a true barometer of Rudy’s abilities.

Almost every player who gets to know him wants to play for him. Players like KG have said they would go to war for Rudy T. Steve and Yao desperately want Rudy back. Several other NBA coach’s have voice there praise for him. Larry Brown has said that Rudy is a great leader. Rudy has never one NBA coach of the year which is a media vote but he has one sporting news coach of the year which is voted on by his peers, the other coaches, who would know more about coaches than any other group. Rudy has won two NBA championships and 2 international championships and that experience immeasurably valuable.

I personally believe Rudy is one of the best coaches in the NBA period. Of course that is just my opinion. But I can assure if Rudy gets canned today, tomorrow there will be a line of GM’s standing outside his door begging for his services and why is that? It’s because they are equipped to Judge coaches ability and the overwhelming consensus is Rudy is more than just an adequate NBA coach.

2. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

First of all I would like to say that u r stupid!!
    If u use some random comments from coaches or players praising Rudy to assess his coaching ability then u really r stupid!
    Those are diplomatic responses. Do u expect them to say Rudy is stupid? You better dig deeper and see the "experts'" comments.
    There are plenty of them out there. Afterward come back and admit to me that ur indeed stupid!

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

okay?

not for argumentative purposes, but why do you think rudy is a more than adequate coach? the only reasons that you gave is his knowledge of the game and because garnett would "go to war for him".

???

why is he an adequate coach? what has he done these past four years that makes you think that? i don't want to know what other players think of him... has it ever crossed your mind that perhaps rudy is too lenient and that's why players like him?

i'm glad you like him. somebody has to. not downing your opinion... just want to know why you praise him so much. :confused:

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Old Man Rocks

5. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Soup Commander must stay !:cool:

6. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Hopefully Les is stupid!

7. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Uhhh...he's a great coach. But won't work for Rockets. His old strategies don't work anymore.

Yao Ming is not a great one on one scorer. He like motion.

Hopefully Rudy will create a new offense and define roles...

;)

I admit that I am stupid.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Won 34 games in the West with Francis as a rookie and frontlines that featured the likes of Matt Bullard, Pig Miller, and Walt Williams. These were STARTERS.

Won 45 games in the West with a 2nd-year Francis as his best player.

Missed the playoffs by a game this year IN THE WEST with the 2nd youngest team in the league, even though he missed the stretch drive due to illness.

What else do you want?

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

A-freakin-men!

Old Man, you Rock!

10. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

Very good points....

NEXT SEASON THOUGH.

AIN'T NO MORE EXCUSES!!!

They better make it....

They better have a better offense and better defense.

The Sonics, Grizzlies, Warriors, Hornets, and maybe Nuggets are all coming to play.

11. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

best.
    post.
    ever.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Rudy is an excellent coach. CD is an excellent GM. My only beef with them is the routinely insane contracts then hand out to scrubs (Maloney, Moochie, Cato and to some extent Maurice).

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

yep
    yep
    yep

The Soup Commander is da Bomb.

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

do we file this thread with Rockets-R-Us' petition???

15. Yun

Yun Member

So! In your opinion what is an ADEQUATE criteria to evaluate a coach?:)

If a coach cannot assemble a team, cannot motivate the team to play well, cannot make the strategy to win against so called "inferior teams, why would he be considered as a great coach?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great post, Old Man. :)
    It's hard to keep perspective sometimes when we've gone through the kind of season that just ended for us. I can't remember one quite like this one, thank god, or this 'ol guy would be 6 feet under. I really don't want to see another head coach on the sidelines.

In so many ways Rudy IS the Rockets. But get the man some help... get him a couple of assistants, including one with head coaching credentials, to add some ideas and experience to the bench. I'm not saying "fire the ones we've got", not at all, but it's clear to me that we need to expand the staff. We need someone who can step in if needed that's been there before. And we could use some people to teach the players things they don't seem to be getting. I hate to even mention Dallas, but they are having success with a bigger staff. We don't need as many as they've got, but we could use a couple of more.

Thanks for the post. It was needed.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I never once said Rudy is a lousy coach. I might've said he did a lousy job this year, and I think there's a strong case to be made for that. What I love about these pro-Rudy threads is that every single one of them says the same thing:

1) Rudy coached the Rockets to 2 titles.
    2) Players love Rudy.
    3) Coaches respect Rudy.
    4) Rudy's been with the Rockets for 30 years.
    5) Rudy has cancer.

Well, la-de-freakin'-da, as motivational speaker Matt Foley would say! None of that has meant a damn thing the last four years when the Rockets kept ending up in the lottery. I'm sorry. I love Rudy. When I think of the Houston Rockets, three guys come to mind. Dream, Calvin Murphy, and Rudy T. But you know what? Professional sports is a business. It's an environment with a "what have you done for me lately?" mentality. Owners, fans, and the media all expect results. And judging by that criteria, Rudy, Carroll Dawson, and the assistant coaches have done a piss poor job in the last 5 years with this franchise.

They haven't developed any of their young talent. Steve's weaknesses this season were the same ones he exhibited as a rookie. Cat still can't make a decent pass to save his life and he still hasn't met a shot he doesn't like. Eddie Griffin is still a Matt Bullard clone. Mo Taylor still doesn't play D or rebound. Yao was reduced to a Shaq-wannabe by the end of the season. And Boki couldn't even get off the damn bench.

They also haven't done anything to adjust to the new zone defenses. Their personnel moves and offensive system(if you can even call it that) seem to indicate that they still believe an ISO-system similar to the Dream/Clyde/Barkley era will work when the results on the court have consistently proven otherwise.

And for all the talk of players loving Rudy, they sure don't seem to respect the guy when he asks them to do something. The guards froze Yao out of the offense all year long even though the coaching staff insisted to reporters that they wanted everything to run through him. Steve, Cat, and especially Moochie kept dribbling the ball too long throughout the season, resulting in last second desperation shot attempts and 24-second violations, despite the coaches' claims that they were instructing the players to move the ball around. Hell, even something as simple as Rudy telling them to foul the shooter when they were up 3 points was an impossible task, which led to the infamous Matt Harpring 3-pointer and the Jazz's overtime win in Houston.

And yet after many of us continue to point these things out. After the Rockets continue to miss the postseason year after year. After Yao Ming loses a Rookie of the Year award which practically had his name engraved on it after he was voted into the All-Star game as a starter. After the ISO streetball offense becomes so predictable and futile that every broadcaster in the country is making fun of it during games. After all the losses in games decided by 3 points or less. After all the losses to lottery teams, particularly those missing key players. After the back-to-back flameouts against Portland and Utah with a playoff spot on the line....

All you can do is bring up the same five comments I listed at the very beginning. Or blame this team's failure on the West being too competitive. Or say the players are too young. Or point the finger at Larry Smith(who was handpicked by Rudy as his top assistant). Honestly, I sometimes wonder how low this team really needs to sink before you'll demand change.

18. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

The first two responses to this thread proved your point..even though they forgot to first admit they were stupid.
    Good post. The Old Man Rocks.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Who are you I've never read any of your posts and this is certainly not a response to some guy named dough ku. First lets get one thing straight I am a Rocket fan first and foremost. I root for the Rockets to win always and I want nothing more than them to win more championships. And if that means firing Rudy than do it with some decency but do it now. I also understand that no matter how good a coach sometimes a situation can go sour and it's time for a change. For example I think Lenny wilkins is a good coach but Toronto needs an overhaul and a new direction and sometimes starting with the coach is the easiest way to do that.

And if the Rockets continue to miss the playoffs than yes irregardless of Rudy's abilities a change would be in order. I like many others expected the Rockets to make the playoffs and was more than just disappointed that we did not. But unlike others I could see reason why were unsuccesful.

And I could see positives in this season We started off with a new motion offense in the beginning of the season… Similar to the Jazz were everyone is supposed to have an opportunity to get their shots because you move the ball and pick and roll until someone is open and then the open man shoots. The problem is Rudy was having hard time selling that philosophy to a bunch of Iso players like Steve, Cat, KT, and Moochie who wanted to create their on shots.

Eventually Steve came around somewhat and some of the other players as well but KT was one of the last to come around. He was a blackhole on our team. He figured it was his contract year and he was going to get his. But even he finally started coming around especially after he started playing time to Mo T. And I was actually happy with his play towards the end. Still I was happy to see him go.

Oh and please don't tell me look how stupid Rudy was to trade Kenny over Mo T. Trading Mo T was never an option noone wanted Mot's contract and they stilll don't. So the choice was Eddie or Kenny. Someone needed to go and at this time most of us agreed it needed to be Kenny. Yes he has had some good games for the Sixers but he also had some great games for us as well. But he does have his faults. And there were certainly things he couldn't do as well as MoT and Eddie.

He is a high energy player who could take it to the basket as good as any power forward in the league but he was undersized and had a poor outside shot. Mo T had a sweet outside shot and could defend the stronger power forwards but he wasn’t a strong rebounder and he still had some recovering to do. Eddie was an awesome shotblocker and good rebounder who sometimes had poor shot selection but at other times he looked like the second coming of Rasheed Wallace.

So we had 3 PF’s who all were adequate but none were obviously better than the other. So the Rockets decided that Kenny wasn’t our future. Eddie G was. And once that became established than it was time to move KT and it was a good move that brought in Posey he quickly became our best defender and fastbreak player. So I thought Rudy and Caroll made the best trade in adifficult situation. You can disagree. but please don't try to make me believe that it is the system that made Kenny a blackhole because that's just BS!

Okay so I digressed on this KT thing but my point was that we were developing a new motion offense that was working somewhat and showed promise in my eyes and then YAO EMERGED! So in midstream Rudy had to change his offensive strategy around a player he believed to be our future and he had to get players like Steve Cat and Moochie onboard with this new philosophy even after they hadn't completely been sold on the old one. But slowly they came around even though they still haven't got it completely. Of course you'll want to blame that on coaching but just shows your naivete. It took Larry Brown 2 plus years to bring AI around to understanding it's a team sport.

And some players will never completely (I suspect Cat will always want to be the central focus of and offese and won't really be happy unless he is). So now we are and inside out kind of team with Yao being the central focus and everyone b****es because we don't play like the Kings. Well we are not the kings are the Jazz for that matter we don't have a Stocton on are team or a team full of great passers. And if you agree that Yao is our future and that he needs more touches then you can’t criticize an offensive strategy that doesn’t use pick and rolls and curls as much. And you can't criticize coaching or you can but that's just stupid. Oh by the way a team that won the last few championships did it exactly that way inside/out. With also a lot of Iso's.

It's a simple coaching philosophy that Rudy know's better than most NBA coaches and that's if you have players that can command double teams than you get them the ball and allow them to score or find the open guy on the floor... because someone is going to be open if you double and triple team. So now you have to find role players that can spot up and hit the open shot like Elie and Kenny Smith. Well with Stevie and Yao we have the gift of having 2 of those double team type players on our team but with no one else consistently hitting anything on our team we still struggled. And when they did, when Rice and Posey where on fire we blew people out. So if you could just be patient and give Rudy some time to implement a totally new offensive scheme built around Yao and Steve and bring in the right roll players that fit this new team, I think you will see an improvement. Of course you probably don't have that kind of patience. Fortunately you are not the owner.

I could go on but even though I'm an old man I still have a little bit of a life so good bye for now.

#19 Old Man Rock, Apr 26, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2003
  20. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

this was 3 or 4 years ago, wasn't it?

and still didn't make the playoffs. what?... is our goal to be the best team to miss the playoffs every year or to be the 9th seeded team by one game every year? is that something to strive for? i can hear les and rudy now...

rudy: i'm sorry les for another disappointing 5th consecutive season.

les: don't worry rudy. we're IN THE WEST. it's an accomplishment to have made it to the 9th seed.

what kind of progress have we made, freak?

why is "in the west" in all caps? you're acting like you just proved something. nope. you didn't. sorry. yes... we're in the west. are we going to whine about that every year now? is that something that we can change? NO!!! les was stupid to say that. if you're going to take one of his lines, please make it one that you can make an argument for. thanks.

only a few of the "young" players that you are talking about don't even get playing time. it's funny how NO ONE mentions that. francis isn't that young. mobley isn't that young. moochie, glen, maurice, kelvin, hawkins... none of them are considered young anymore. who are are young players? hmmmm... boki, collier, maddox, and griffin (if you want to call griffin a player... he's the only exception to playing time). that's what's bringing the average age down. sorry. try again. young doesn't cut it anymore.

i want legitimate answers... not excuses.

one more thing...

if yetti is reading this... no, i don't have anything positive to say.

:p

#20 OmegaSupreme, Apr 26, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2003