ClutchFans
un:
pw:
ClutchFans
Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Notices

Page 1 of 2

Tags:  atlanta, baseball, cincinnati reds, gerry hunsicker, houston, houston astros, mets, mlb, new york, new york mets, philadelphia, reds Tags
UTweezer is offline Old 03-15-2003, 05:25 PM
    Reply With Quote   #1
UTweezer
Contributing Member
UTweezer is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Feb 2002
Member: #3535
I think this is a great pick up for the Astros. He's a lefty and can work out of the bullpen or give you starter innings when needed.

KISSIMMEE, FLA. -- Houston Astros General Manager Gerry Hunsicker announced today that the club has signed lefthander Bruce Chen to a minor league contract. Chen will join the Astros in Major League camp tomorrow.
Chen, 25, was released from Cincinnati Reds camp March 10 and was 0-2 with a 4.31 ERA (19ER/39.2IP) for the Reds last season. He pitched for two other teams last season in addition to the Reds, the New York Mets and Montreal. He pitched 0.2 scoreless innings for the Mets in 2002 and was 2-3 with a 6.99 ERA (29ER/37.1IP) in 15 appearances (five starts) for the Expos last season. He was acquired by Cincinnati from Montreal on June 14, 2002, in exchange for righthander Jim Brower.

Chen also previously pitched for Atlanta in Philadelphia in his career. In parts of five Major League seasons, he is 20-18 with a 4.53 ERA (216ER/429.0) in 139 career appearances (59 starts).

Sponsored Link
meh is offline Old 03-15-2003, 05:41 PM
    Reply With Quote   #2
meh
Contributing Member
meh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsmeh is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4868
Geez. He has certainly fallen off the map in recent years. I remember back when he was another top pitching prospect for the Braves.

I also like the pick-up.

rezdawg is offline Old 03-15-2003, 05:49 PM
    Reply With Quote   #3
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2000
Member: #1294
I dont mind the pickup. It wont make too much of a difference, if any.

kidrock8 is offline Old 03-15-2003, 06:06 PM
    Reply With Quote   #4
kidrock8
kidrock8 is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Oct 2000
Member: #1953
A very poor man's Jeff Weaver.

Great stuff, but nothing in between the ears.

gr8-1 is offline Old 03-15-2003, 06:09 PM
    Reply With Quote   #5
gr8-1
Contributing Member
gr8-1 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #826
I like this pickup.

"Not only do I think he is the Rookie of the Year right now, I think outside of (San Diego Chargers running back) LaDainian Tomlinson, he may be the MVP of the league,'' Baldinger said. "He has far exceeded everybody's expectations. The fact he's having this kind of success so early on a team that, let's face it ... isn't the most talented in the league. ... They look like geniuses for taking him.''

rezdawg is offline Old 03-15-2003, 06:28 PM
    Reply With Quote   #6
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Guys, dont fool yourselves. There is a reason this guy has played for the Mets, Reds, Phillies, Expos, and Braves over the last 5 years. The only reason he still gets on major league rosters is because he is a lefty. He may bring some depth, but thats all it is. Just another player.

DVauthrin is offline Old 03-15-2003, 06:36 PM
    Reply With Quote   #7
DVauthrin
Contributing Member
DVauthrin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodDVauthrin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Nov 1999
Member: #947
No bruce is not just another ho hum signee.

The kid has plenty of talent, and I would be shocked if he didnt make the bullpen.

This a brilliant signing, and the reds were fools for not trying him in their shambles of a starting rotation.

It's a great move, if he succeeds, you just added a young lefthanded pitcher for the future, if he fails, you can send him on his way.

Low risk/high payoff maneuver which I really like.

rezdawg is offline Old 03-15-2003, 06:39 PM
    Reply With Quote   #8
rezdawg
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by DVauthrin
No bruce is not just another ho hum signee.
Like I said, he's here because he is a lefty, nothing else. I dont remember the last time a 25 year old kid filled with "talent" bounced around 5 teams in 5 years.

DVauthrin is offline Old 03-15-2003, 06:47 PM
    Reply With Quote   #9
DVauthrin
Contributing Member
DVauthrin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodDVauthrin is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Nov 1999
Member: #947
He's here not just because he's a lefty. He actually has good talent.

The braves traded him because they wanted Andy Ashby to win a pennant.

He then did solid for Philadelphia until 2 years ago when they traded him for bullpen help as they thought they could win the NL East.

The Mets, Expos, and Reds have all tried to make him a middle reliever, something Chen is not.

I never said he is all world, but this a perfect kind of signing, if he bombs fine release him, if he does well, he is your 5th starter and is young enough to play a big role in a team's future.

And he has had proven big league success. That plus his age, and lefthandedness is why he is attractive to teams.

He is not just some ordinary lefty as you are making him out to be.

That is all I have been trying to say.

rezdawg is offline Old 03-15-2003, 07:06 PM
    Reply With Quote   #10
rezdawg
Contributing Member
The reason people think of him as such a stud is purely because of his name. It sticks out as the "Prospect". Kinda like a Todd Van Poppel.

Chen is average, at best. Like I said in my first post, he will make little difference, if any.

Raven Lunatic is offline Old 03-15-2003, 07:27 PM
    Reply With Quote   #11
Raven Lunatic
Contributing Member
Raven Lunatic is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRaven Lunatic is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRaven Lunatic is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRaven Lunatic is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2000
Member: #1589
Quote:
Originally posted by rezdawg
The reason people think of him as such a stud is purely because of his name. It sticks out as the "Prospect". Kinda like a Todd Van Poppel.

Chen is average, at best. Like I said in my first post, he will make little difference, if any.
Todd Van Poppel has always struck me as a very "scrubby" name.

You'll be amazed at the friends you have there on your trip.

rezdawg is offline Old 03-15-2003, 07:28 PM
    Reply With Quote   #12
rezdawg
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven Lunatic
Todd Van Poppel has always struck me as a very "scrubby" name.
Then you dont remember the hype he got when he was drafted.

EddieWasSnubbed is offline Old 03-15-2003, 09:07 PM
    Reply With Quote   #13
EddieWasSnubbed
Contributing Member
EddieWasSnubbed is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneEddieWasSnubbed is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneEddieWasSnubbed is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneEddieWasSnubbed is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneEddieWasSnubbed is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneEddieWasSnubbed is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 2002
Member: #3471
I think it's a good signing. With some work, I think he can return to good form. Remember he's only 25.

Oski2005 is offline Old 03-15-2003, 10:02 PM
    Reply With Quote   #14
Oski2005
Contributing Member
Oski2005 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereOski2005 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereOski2005 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereOski2005 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereOski2005 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereOski2005 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereOski2005 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Nov 2001
Member: #3275
What do you guys think of Hooten? Is he the kind of coach who could put Chen back on track?

gr8-1 is offline Old 03-16-2003, 03:43 AM
    Reply With Quote   #15
gr8-1
Contributing Member
gr8-1 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #826
UT's pitching staff was much better after Hooten left.

"Not only do I think he is the Rookie of the Year right now, I think outside of (San Diego Chargers running back) LaDainian Tomlinson, he may be the MVP of the league,'' Baldinger said. "He has far exceeded everybody's expectations. The fact he's having this kind of success so early on a team that, let's face it ... isn't the most talented in the league. ... They look like geniuses for taking him.''

MadMax is online now Old 03-17-2003, 11:40 AM
    Reply With Quote   #16
MadMax
Contributing Member
MadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldMadMax is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Sep 1999
Member: #732
Quote:
Originally posted by DVauthrin

Low risk/high payoff maneuver which I really like.
exactly right...MAYBE he lives up to some of that potential with the 'stros...but even if he doesn't it didn't cost you anything significant. great pickup.

Baqui99 is offline Old 03-17-2003, 05:02 PM
    Reply With Quote   #17
Baqui99
Contributing Member
Baqui99 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBaqui99 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBaqui99 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBaqui99 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBaqui99 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneBaqui99 is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1703
He's this year's version of Ron Villone.

xiki is offline Old 03-17-2003, 05:10 PM
    Reply With Quote   #18
xiki
Contributing Member
xiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finexiki is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4978
Quote:
Like I said, he's here because he is a lefty, nothing else. I dont remember the last time a 25 year old kid filled with "talent" bounced around 5 teams in 5 years.
Very true.

But lefties are like 7 footers -- someone always believe he can coach them to greatness.

Puedlfor is offline Old 03-17-2003, 05:20 PM
    Reply With Quote   #19
Puedlfor
IRC Zookeeper
Puedlfor is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2000
Member: #1517
Quote:
Then you dont remember the hype he got when he was drafted.
He got hype because he threw a fastball that threatened the sound barrier.

Chen's got some nice talent, and some good stuff but the attitude is a question mark. Who knows, maybe he'll turn it around with the Astros.

I really doubt he will, but there was a reason he was a top prospect, and for such a low cost, its worth a risk.

rrj_gamz is offline Old 03-18-2003, 07:22 PM
    Reply With Quote   #20
rrj_gamz
Contributing Member
rrj_gamz is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodrrj_gamz is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6626
I like this pick up too...

No harm no foul if it doesn't work out, but I bet he's willing to show everyone he's ready...

Page 1 of 2