ClutchFans Latest:
Look who's back: Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to a four-year, $32M deal

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

Drapg: Biggest Bust of 1997
Tags:  austin, basketball, juwan howard, maurice taylor, nba Tags
JuanValdez is offline Old 01-09-2003, 05:11 PM   #1
JuanValdez
Contributing Member
JuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsJuanValdez is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #35
In my last draft bust thread, drapg said you can't really judge the busts until you've given him 5 years in the league. I only went back one year because it doesn't seem like people are very interested in talking about 5 year old busts. But, for drapg's sake, I'll give it a shot.

Draft Class of 1997:

1 SA Tim Duncan
2 NJ Keith Van Horn
3 Bos Chauncey Billups
4 Van Antonio Daniels
5 Den Tony Battie
6 Bos Ron Mercer
7 Phi Tim Thomas
8 GS Adonal Foyle
9 Tor Tracy McGrady
10 Mil Danny Fortson
11 Sac Olivier Saint-Jean (aka Tariq Abdul-Wahad)
12 Ind Austin Croshere
13 Cle Derek Anderson
14 LAC Maurice Taylor
15 Por Kelvin Cato
16 Cle Brevin Knight
17 Orl Johnny Taylor
18 Dal Chris Anstey
19 Det Scot Pollard
20 Min Paul Grant
21 Phi Anthony Parker
22 Atl Ed Gray
23 Den Bobby Jackson
24 Hou Rodrick Rhodes
25 NY John Thomas
26 Mia Charles Smith
27 Uta Jacque Vaughn
28 Chi Keith Booth

Washington didn't get a pick because of Juwan Howard.

With a couple exceptions, it seems to me this whole class was a bust. What a terrible year. I think most of these guys are still in the league, but not many are any good. Biggest bust? It could be anyone between #2 and #6. Best deal is easily McGrady at #9. Best deal besides McGrady (and Duncan who is well worth #1) is Bobby Jackson.

Sponsored Link
rimrocker is offline Old 01-09-2003, 05:53 PM   #2
rimrocker
Contributing Member
rimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsrimrocker is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1038
Two All-NBA type players in McGrady and Duncan, some solid contributors, and a few hangers-on. I think that's more than a decent draft. Not every draft is going to be like Dream's.

drapg is offline Old 01-09-2003, 05:54 PM   #3
drapg
drapg is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3584
This surely has to go down as one of the worst draft classes in history, in my opinion.

As for biggest bust, well you could go any number of ways. I'd say Van Horn. He was supposed to be the next Bird coming out of Utah. I remember watching him in college and being awed by his play. He led the Utes to an amazing season, culminated by a loss in the Elite Eight in the 1997 NCAA Tournament (If my memory serves me, but its been a while.)

He was actually drafted by Philadelphia, but traded on draft day to the Nets because Calipari was really high on him. He was so enamored that he was willing to take on the garbage that was Lucious Harris, Don MacLean, and Michael Cage just to grab Van Horn.

What puts it over the top for me is that Van Horn's talent is never questioned, but his heart. Teammates in NJ and now even in PHI are saying he doesn't seem to care when he's playing. I don't know how NBA scouts test that sort of thing (mental tests or what not), but if a guy has the talent but chooses not to use it... well that's the epitome of a bust in my mind.

Of course, its hard to argue with any of those top guys except Duncan, McGrady, and maybe Fortson (maybe.)

Swopa is offline Old 01-09-2003, 06:00 PM   #4
Swopa
Contributing Member
Swopa is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Sep 1999
Member: #767
McGrady wasn't that good a deal either, at least for the team that drafted him.

And I recall reading at the time that some teams were leery of drafting him for that very reason (i.e., he wouldn't be that good until his contract ended, so you might well simply be developing him for his next team). Then again, given the lack of impact players after Duncan, it was probably worth the risk.

I disagree that Van Horn is a bust because of a lack of heart. Having had a front-row seat at the Joe Smith debacle in Golden State, I knew from the start that his severe tweenerdom (not nearly athletic enough for SF, not nearly strong enough for PF) was going to cause him problems.

He'll beat his wings 'til he burns them black...

The moth don't care if the flame is real
'Cause flame and moth got a sweetheart deal
And nothing fuels a good flirtation
Like need and anger and desperation...

--Aimee Mann, "The Moth," from the album Lost in Space

Last edited by Swopa; 01-09-2003 at 05:08 PM.

Vengeance is offline Old 01-09-2003, 06:19 PM   #5
Vengeance
Contributing Member
Vengeance is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2000
Member: #2026
2 NJ Keith Van Horn -- I'd say he's somewhat of a bust for being a number 2 pick. For no. 2, I'd expect more out of the player. However, considering the lack of good players in this draft, it's not altogether horrible, but still not great. Agree with drapg on Van Horn's talent and lack of intensity. Van Horn's had a solid career though . . .
3 Bos Chauncey Billups -- I'm not a big fan of Billups' game -- another pick I'd expect more from . . .

4 Van Antonio Daniels -- And IMO, here is one of the VERY BIGGEST busts. For a NUMBER FOUR PICK to get someone who's basically a below average backup is really disappointing

5 Den Tony Battie -- The busts keep continuing. Personally, I liked Darvin Ham's game better than Tony Battie's at Texas Tech, and while Tony's had a better NBA career, he in no way justifies his no. 5 pick.

8 GS Adonal Foyle -- The bad player parade continues . . . damn does he suck. Not a terrible shot-blocker though.

I'm tired of going through and analyzing every bust -- this would take all week!!! This draft sucked from 2 onward. BAD, BAD draft. I've got to give Kelvin Cato some props here -- he's at least a servicable player, which is more than you can say for half of the players taken before him.

Invisible Fan is offline Old 01-09-2003, 06:25 PM   #6
Invisible Fan
Contributing Member
Invisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2001
Member: #3318
Quote:
Originally posted by rimrocker
Two All-NBA type players in McGrady and Duncan, some solid contributors, and a few hangers-on. I think that's more than a decent draft. Not every draft is going to be like Dream's.
Yeah, most of these guys are on contracts that extend them beyond the average lifespan of an NBA player....

What ever happened to Brevin Knight?

bnb is offline Old 01-09-2003, 06:29 PM   #7
bnb
Contributing Member
bnb is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebnb is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebnb is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebnb is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebnb is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebnb is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herebnb is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5696
Quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Fan

What ever happened to Brevin Knight?
Currently averaging 3.8 ppg for the Memphis Grizz.

rezdawg is offline Old 01-09-2003, 06:52 PM   #8
rezdawg
Contributing Member
rezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererezdawg is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Feb 2000
Member: #1294
Damn, this could easily be one of the worst draft years in a while. Yuck.

ScreamingRocketJet is offline Old 01-10-2003, 03:11 AM   #9
ScreamingRocketJet
ScreamingRocketJet is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Member: #744
Quote:
Originally posted by drapg

What puts it over the top for me is that Van Horn's talent is never questioned, but his heart. Teammates in NJ and now even in PHI are saying he doesn't seem to care when he's playing. I don't know how NBA scouts test that sort of thing (mental tests or what not), but if a guy has the talent but chooses not to use it... well that's the epitome of a bust in my mind.

I can't agree with the KVH critics. This is a guy who has averaged 19 and 9 all his career and made it to the play off's most years and the finals once, nearly always as his teams number one or two player.

This is a guy who is not particularly athletic and doesn't have anywhere NEAR Larry Bird's natural talent. He can shoot a three and he is white...so he got the next Bird label.

He is a very good, just behind all star level guy who'll get you 20 and 10 most nights. I don't call that a bust.

The talk about his 'heart' is crap also. They say that about Duncan also. It seems any guy who doesn't get physically agitated when his team loses 'lacks heart'.

CY02 is offline Old 01-10-2003, 04:19 AM   #10
CY02
CY02 is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #10016
Talking about bad draft class, 2000 must be the worst for the last 10 years or so.

1. Kenyon Martin , Cincinnati New Jersey
2. Stromile Swift , LSU Vancouver
3. Darius Miles , East St. Louis HS L.A. Clippers
4. Marcus Fizer , Iowa State Chicago
5. Mike Miller , Florida Orlando
6. DerMarr Johnson , Cincinnati Atlanta
7. Chris Mihm , Texas Chicago
8. Jamal Crawford , Michigan Cleveland
9. Joel Przybilla , Minnesota Houston
10. Keyon Dooling , Missouri Orlando
11. Jerome Moiso , UCLA Boston
12. Etan Thomas , Syracuse Dallas
13. Courtney Alexander , Fresno State Orlando

I can't see any HOFer or All-NBAer here and only 2-3 possible All-Stars (K-Mart, Miles, Mike Miller). A really pathetic class and I don't think I spoke too soon.

Invisible Fan is offline Old 01-10-2003, 04:23 AM   #11
Invisible Fan
Contributing Member
Invisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemInvisible Fan is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Dec 2001
Member: #3318
Yeah, we don't have to wait 3 more years to say the 2000 crop stinks.

Bogey is offline Old 01-10-2003, 10:00 AM   #12
Bogey
Contributing Member
Bogey is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodBogey is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: May 2002
Member: #4096
I wouldn't include Miles as a possible all-star. The guy has shown me absolutely nothing. What a draft.

Kayman is offline Old 01-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #13
Kayman
Contributing Member
Kayman is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #347
You know, Cato at #15 looks like a steal for that draft now...

Desert Scar is offline Old 01-10-2003, 02:24 PM   #14
Desert Scar
Contributing Member
Desert Scar is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Aug 2000
Member: #1767
KVH is clearly the 3rd best player from that list and clearly better than all other top 8 picks except for #1 (Duncan, the one no brainer from the draft)--thus it is a pretty big stretch to say he is a "bust" being picked #2 that year.

Since the stinkers were well pointed out, especially, 3-4-5, I'll not add much there.

DA, MoT, Cato and Bobby J were all good picks relative to where they were taken that year, even if none are close to elites at their position.

The Sensei is offline Old 01-10-2003, 06:54 PM   #15
The Sensei
Contributing Member
The Sensei is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5977
96' draft (I think...) was quite amazing.

AI, Ray Allen, Kobe, Stephon Marbury, Pierce, Dirk

As I recall...

DoitDickau is offline Old 01-10-2003, 07:17 PM   #16
DoitDickau
Contributing Member
DoitDickau is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Mar 2002
Member: #3593
you're mixing up years. dirk and pierce were drafted in 98

jmwilliamson is offline Old 01-11-2003, 03:02 AM   #17
jmwilliamson
Contributing Member
jmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donejmwilliamson is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9133
I don't really understand how people can say this was a horrible draft year. I mean granted, only two super stars came out of that draft, but it's a rare year that more than two super stars emerge from a draft. However, generally there at a few more star level players and in this draft, it's Tim Duncan, Tracy McGrady, Keith Van Horn and then a whole slew of bench players.

but in looking over that last, i only counted four that aren't still in the NBA. I'd say it's fairly remarkable that 24 out of 28 of those players are still in the NBA five years later when the most they are gaurunteed is a three year deal. Also, there are what? 8 or so that are key reserves for their teams? that's not bad at all.

my vote for biggest bust is Chauncey Billups.

Sonny is offline Old 01-11-2003, 05:37 PM   #18
Sonny
Contributing Member
Sonny is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Mar 2001
Member: #2340
Quote:
Originally posted by jmwilliamson
my vote for biggest bust is Chauncey Billups.
I agree totally. Huge bust, especially since they passed on TMac.

Funny story, Chauncey's brother called me on a sales call a few weeks ago for AIU online. They are an online college, get your degree in 10 months for 15 grand. I passed.

Support the Fairtax

Support Clutchfans.net CC.net Tip Jar

peleincubus is offline Old 01-11-2003, 08:17 PM   #19
peleincubus
peleincubus is James Harden -- racking up the pointspeleincubus is James Harden -- racking up the pointspeleincubus is James Harden -- racking up the pointspeleincubus is James Harden -- racking up the pointspeleincubus is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Oct 2002
Member: #7720
Man I forgot about Rodrick Rhodes. I wonder whatever happened to him.

Swopa is offline Old 01-11-2003, 10:52 PM   #20
Swopa
Contributing Member
Swopa is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Member: #767
He's playing in the Philippines.