1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Is it too early to call Yao Ming a bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Woofer, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2002/11/07/burning_questions/

Yes. Way too early.

Hey, the Great Wall of China wasn’t built in a day. Sure, Ming was averaging only 2.5 points, 4.0 rebounds and 0.25 blocks through his first four games. And yes that was Jerome James of the Sonics schooling the 7-foot-5 rookie in the low post the other night. We’ll even concede that Yao has been a disappointment in the shot-blocking department, the one area in which the Rockets expected him to be able to contribute right away.

But, c’mon, the guy just arrived in the U.S. a few weeks ago. He barely knows his own teammates, let alone the rest of the NBA. He understands English better than he lets on, but he still has to learn the lingo and terminology. (At first he didn’t understand when teammates said, "Wazz up? He thought it sounded like, in his words, a "common profanity in Mandarin.")

Yao has shown enough signs to keep the Rockets from cursing their decision to make him the No. 1 overall pick. He had seven rebounds in 13 minutes during his second game. He was 4-of-7 from the floor the following game. He’s still getting pushed too far out from the basket, but the Rockets are working with him on it.

Like Kwame Brown, last year’s top overall pick, it might take a while for Yao to get used to the size and speed of the NBA game. The Rockets are preaching patience. They know that Yao’s only 22 and in the meantime, he’s not going to get any shorter.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad to see some people pushing for patience.

3. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Amen. A few bad games and people start to go crazy.

4. dttd888

dttd888 Member

I wonder how bad things got in Washington last year regarding Kwame. It's all about fair-weathered fans that want results way too fast. Talks about "give this guy time" have been exhausted. But that's all we can do. If you're going to judge him negtively already, do so. But don't jump back on the bandwagon next year. But when ya'll do, don't go around saying, "I believed in him the whole time."
    He wasn't this slow and tired in the World Championships, and you heard what players were saying about him then, and what they continue to say. If people are going to take anyones opinion to heart, take the player's opinions. Someone on his level. This guy is legit, and he WILL get better.

5. blackwidow89

blackwidow89 Member

4 real, ppl need to bak off yao ming, who cares if he is only avg,ing the same as dan langhi, or that he looks like shawn bradley. just the fact that we are drawin sum attention and that this means more allstars in htown(steve and MOBLEY) ...
    btw give him by december.,. i say he will blow up, and beast all y'all haters

PEACE:cool: :cool:

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, if yao only averages 4 p.a.g. then I will consider him a bust, but I am seeing him break out around the break.

7. Sane

Sane Member

It will take me till 10 games into NEXT season to consider him a bust. That is, of course, considering he's been training in the offseason and practicing with the team.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Giving large busts a bad name.

9. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

No doubt. It's way too early. It might be a few years before anyone can label Yao a bust.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

hes a young rookie

that has been playing a while

and he missed most of preseason and training camp....

:rolleyes:

11. bsb8532

bsb8532 Member

No it's not too early. David Carr was a bust after his first INT, Jeff Bagwell was a bust after his first strikeout and Hakeem was a bust while playing 2nd fiddle to Ralph Sampson.....

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I think he has to go back to China until September. He has to play in an Olympic qualifier.

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I think 2 years, but he will probably get much better over the first 6 or 7.

14. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

I'd have to admit it is a little frustrating to see a number 1 pick not dominating straight away.. but look at it this way.. hes improving cato just from being on the bench heh

15. cujo

cujo Member

A better word would be "contributing" vs"dominating".... How many number one picks dominate in their first year?

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Most of the above is true...we must be patient. I've watched every game and Yao has not gotten into the pace of the NBA. He looks like a kid who likes to drive fast thrust into his first NASCAR race. With some more experience and court time he'll hopefully pick up his game.

Kwame looked like a fish out of water much of last year...some said a bust. Kwame has looked good last preseason and then lost in the regular season. When he had another good preason this year, critics were skeptical. He has proven hiself to date...although he's not consistent as DC would like...everyone can see he's got superstar potential. He worked hard this summer because he wanted to be better.

Yao's got decent court sense...I see it in his passing. However, he's not nearly aggressive enough for the NBA game. Part of that can be attributed to being new and learning a new style, team, way of life, etc. I think he'll need a couple of years to really feel comfortable...he wants to be better...thats the key and will be the driver to his success one day.

17. Sane

Sane Member

I think they CAN call him back for the Olympics qualifier in September. But if it's against an Asian team, I wouldn't be surprised if they just did it without Yao. Now that they've seen the effects of Yao's late, and fatigued arrival, they will probably think twice about flying him all over the place.

18. jxu777

jxu777 Contributing Member

Not a chance. Those at CBA are mechanical bureaucrats. If they did what you said, Wang Zhi Zhi would have been a starter in the NBA now. I very much wish I am dead wrong here. Just get my fingers crossed. And do hope the Rockets organization will stand up to them when push comes to shove, not like the gutless Mavs.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

What qualifier is this you refer to?

We hashed this out last month, and determined that there are no Chinese NT obligations on Yao Ming next summer/fall.

look here for the info provided...look towards the bottom of the page where Gater and myself did all the research about when and where YM will be needed by the NT..

can you provide anything more concrete to support your supposition?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.