1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao "Hatin'" Article (Chicago Tribune)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, Aug 22, 2002.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This article re-hashes some quotes but introduces new ones. As a Yao Ming fan, I take personally the inevitable targeting of my boy. I do like Jay Williams' attempt at diplomacy toward the end of the article; but I only bolded the disparaging remarks. :D

-------------------------------------------

NBA Stars are targeting Yao

by Sam Smith

Now everyone will get to see what all the fuss is about.

"There has been a lot of hype about him the last two or three years," Chicagoan Michael Finley said about China's 7'5" Yao Ming, the No. 1 pick in June's NBA draft.

"It will be interesting to see if he's worth the hype. I know the big guys on our team are definitely looking forward to the challenge. They're going to put it to him. It'll be interesting to see how he'll do.

"I don't think he'll do well," the Mavericks' Finley said. "That's my opinion. Believe me, he'll be dunked on."

The U.S. team meets China on Thursday at Oakland Coliseum in preparation for the World Basketball Championships starting in Indianapolis on August 29. It's the first exhibition for the U.S. team, which includes Proviso East's Finley and Bulls top draft pick Jay Williams.

Williams, who had been hurting, scrimmaged Wednesday and declared himself ready to play.

But the attention will be on Yao, whose jersey might as well have a target on it rather than the word "China."

"We're going to beat him up," Pistons forward Ben Wallace said, after the U.S. team's sixth practice Wednesday.

Some around the NBA have labeled Yao a revolutionary player who might change the NBA game because of his size. And NBA players have heard, especially after the draft, how far the international players have advanced and how they're surpassing America's youngsters.

Yao is said to have matured considerably since playing little after getting in early foul trouble in a loss to the 2000 U.S. Olympic teams in Australia.

And while U.S. coach George Karl tried to downplay any matchup against Yao, his players seem determined to make this more than a typical exhibition.

"I don't know what to expect," said Wallace, the league's leading rebounder and shotblocker last season. "But, being a basketball fan, I want to see what he brings to the table. We know all the hype. That's about selling tickets. I just want to get out there and mix it up with him and let him know what type of game we play in the NBA and see if he responds to a strong, physical game."

Thus far that is questionable.

China's team, which is missing Dallas free agent Wang ZhiZhi because of a dispute with his national team, lost 94-66 to the Canadian team in an exhibition last week. Yao had 17 points and just six shots. Richard Anderson, a 6-6 forward who played in Austria last season, pushed him around quite a bit.

"I need more weight training," Yao said after that game.

His team practiced Wednesday night after arriving in Oakland and he said afterward through a translator, though he has spoken English in some interviews, that he believes it will take "two or three seasons" for him to meet expectations.

Yao also said he'll have more "feelings" after the game and said he does want to prove he can play in the NBA. Then he sounded like an NBA veteran when he talked about how his success would depend on the referees and complained good-naturedly about media interference in his life.

A sidelight to the game is the matchup, though not directly, of Yao, the top pick, and No. 2 selection Williams.

Williams participated in his first complete practice after sustaining a groin injury and was impressive. Karl said Williams primarily will be insurance behind Andre Miller and Baron Davis.

"I'm looking forward to playing [Thursday]," Williams said. "But it's not the No. 1 vs. No. 2. Teams pick what they need and Houston wanted a big presence. It would be a different story if they had picked a guard."

In China, Yao is said to be regarded as a god.

But if anyone on the U.S. team bows down Thursday, it may be just to help Yao off the floor.

"OK, he's the #1 pick," Toronto's Antonio Davis said. "Now he has to go out and play some basketball. Lots of No. 1 picks have flopped. We'll see how he handles the challenges."

2. Old School

Old School Member

I pray that someone tries to dunk on Yao and he breaks their nose with a non-intentional elbow in their grill.

os

3. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I don't think that he'll get dunked on, but if the Chinese coach knows what he's doing he'll pull him if he starts to get dominated (as in physically subdued). He might have his fair share of good playsagainst the U.S. though, too bad that Vincanity will not be their he doesn't hate Yao like these othere 3rd tier, "stars".

4. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

Jevnd is right.

These guys(U.S players) are not the star players out there. Though they ain't "3rd tier" players either. This will be a good test for the guy. Though his team SUCKS, there will be no help defense for him. It's not like Eddie Griffin will be his weak side help. There's probably going to be nobody there. And Because of that it's gonna make Ming look bad. So he's gonna get "BEAT up" from these players because of the players he has on his team.

It's not his fault.

:rolleyes:

5. Possum

Possum Member

One thing for sure the foreign players have surpassed Americans players on is character. Look how humble these guys are. :(

6. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

It won't matter what Ming does. He didn't miss a shot against Canada so everyone griped about his strength.

:D :D :D :D :D