1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cbssports.com] Somehow, James Harden is overrated and underrated at the same.time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Sep 21, 2016.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Link
    Somehow, James Harden is overrated and underrated at the same time

It makes him one of the hardest players in the league to define

by Matt Moore

Some seriously good takes in the 1st half of the article...which I read...the second half that criticizes Harden....I haven't read that just yet 'cause I'm afraid it's just going to piss me off.

But I like Matt Moore / @HPbasketball . He's a good follow and he gives Harden props when so many just call him a ball hogging flopper. A lot of work and film study went into this article. Nice collection of film embedded in the article.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not a fan of HPBasketball. Not even a little bit. He was the master of framing the narrative he sought to tell without even seeing the games last year.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Thanks for posting. Didn't get into turnovers but pretty comprehensive look at his good offense and bad defense

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Will fill you in on a piece of the negative part. Did an ok job showing different types of defensive looks. But its actually cause for Rockets worry...

"Now the BAD News"
    [RQUOTEr]
    But he's not adequate. He's not below average. He's a complete hole in the earth on the defensive end. His effort and awareness are inexcusable. Here are a few markers to consider:

Harden had the 22nd worst mark of 76 players who played 30 minutes per night for 60 games last year in defensive box-score plus minus, which measures impact on vs. off the floor.

in defensive box-score plus minus
    [/rQUOTEr]

Harden almost bottom 1/4 of heavy minute players in box-score DPM. Is that too surprising? Not really

But its WHO is #1 WORST ON that list in Defense?? New Rocket RYAN ANDERSON . . . :confused: :( Thats the ACTUAL "bad news" of it

** Biggest surprise on list...#4 WORST is highly heralded "two-way" player Klay Thompson. The same rank as DAMIAN LILLAR_. That should be almost just as much need for scrutiny about being overrated/underrated. Especially when Thompson is often mentioned as an anti-example of Harden

1 person likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, Harden is 22nd worst and Avery Bradley is 25th worst, and Bradley was NBA 1st Team All-Defense guard.

The stat just sucks. And Bradley isn't the only top defender with a horribly rating by this stat. Why do ppl point this stat out when it has such huge flaws in it to rate a 1st Team Defender so poorly.

I'm not here to defend Harden at all. I'm posting to hopefully spread the word about how useless DBPM is.

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

overrated on o, underrated on d

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Thanks, that was enlightening.

8. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

another harden article

when the media gonna talk about stephen currys turnovers and crap defense.. oh i know why