1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BBALLBREAKDOWN] Why Patrick Beverley is a lockdown defender.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreamShook, Sep 19, 2016.

?

Is Patrick Beverley a lockdown defender?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    56.8%
  3. This poll is not giving me enough nuance.

11 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Not a very engaging video, and a lot of these clips aren't from last season if any, but at least we're getting some good pub about Rockets players, right? I think Bev's defensive stance is interesting. I wasn't really paying attention to it. Kawhi doesn't do that.

Reputation is almost everything in the NBA now. Bev still considered a "lockdown" defender after only 1.2 seasons of good defense?

Polarizing two star thread incoming? let's watch!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1d8ncma8z5A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. opticon

opticon Member

nice insights, solid vid.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Decent vid. Protip: watch on 1.25x speed.

An aggressive defensive guard is always going to look extra good when team defense is good and extra bad when team defense is bad. I really think the reason his defense dipped is mainly because the overall team defense has been atrocious and because he focused a bit more on his offensive game.

His offensive improvement isn't going away IMO. He showed over a whole season that he can nail 3's when open. He could stand to be slightly less aggressive if he's interested in big rotation minutes and maintaining his focus.

I'm glad we have the guy. At the price we're paying, he is always going to be at worst a 20-25 minute rotation player and at best an average starter. You also can not put a price on his heart and attitude on the floor, especially on a team sorely lacking in that department.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

There's no such thing as a lock down defender with present rules.

5. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I think his defensive demise has been exaggerated. He may not be elite, but he's clearly above average.

6. hakeemthagreat

I'm not sure what you're looking at when ppl says he's no longer a good defender lol. He may or may not be the same defender he was when he got here. But he is still one of the best in the NBA at his position.

FYI, If you're guarding the BEST players like CP3, WB, Curry etc..You're going to get scored on. The factor is how easily did they get their shots off

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He's still decent, but clearly not as good as he was before the meniscus injury.

8. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

My hope is that without a position battle to worry about this year, Beverley can again focus on the things that won him the role in the first place. It'll be a bit of an uphill battle given the defensive personnel around him with the new acquisitions. But I actually do expect good things from Bev this season on the defensive end.

"Lockdown" is hard to quantify. But top 5 at his position, absolutely.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

his defense is not nearly as good as it was 2 years ago. its about average to a little above now at times. He now tends to commit silly mistakes by playing over aggressive and using an intimidation factor which has little effect with guards now. the drop off shouldn't that much of a surprise though besides his knee injury. The defensive intensity he was known for cannot be sustained playing as a starter.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see the option for Beverley is the most UNDERRATED lockdown defender in NBA HISTORY.

there's also no Dwight-bashing choice. This is not the GARM that I know and love. :cool:

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

My hope with less mins and pushing him down the offensive pecking order and a Reaffirmed importance of being a defensive first player... You will see the old Bev.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Nope, he was back in 2014, but ever since 2015 hit and the injury bug happened...not so much.

13. basketballholic

Mitten is going to be better.

14. Exiled

Exiled Member

The poll choices should be :

1-noooo
    2-No way ,
    3-not even close

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You know who should watch this video? Patrick Beverley. I'd love to see him playing like he did in his first 16 months with the team.

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if the team can play defense again he can be a good defender, but not lockdown.

17. rocketseagles07

Beverley was an elite defender for one year, the first one. His lateral quickness isn't the same.

Prime example of how when you get a rep you keep it. Plus people always confuse AGRESSIVE D with quality d. Word to Russell Westbrook

18. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

How can you be a lock down defender when you get bounced around screens and get hopelessly out of position on PnRs because you're playing top PGs too close all the time ...

19. hakeemthagreat

I can recall only a few games Bev's man got the best of him last year. Is he a elite defender? Absolutely yes. Is he has good as his first year here? Probably not. But that may be because his role has expanded offensively, and maybe injuries. But Bev's still a beast

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Beverley was #4 in Defensive RPM, in PG starters behind Chris Paul, Rubio and Lowry (#5 overall in qualifiers). I think this ESPN stat matches the "eye test"

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/1

Yes you can cherry pick advanced stats to match your opinion. But it certainly does NOT say that Bev is "bad" or "mediocre" on D.

Add in that Bev is ALSO #4 in 3 POINT% among PG starters (#8 all qualifiers) and thats a 3 & D point guard.

Bev has weaknesses required of traditional point guards, lacks playmaking, passing and finishing. Past that I dont understand all the hand wringing about Bev. We've known what he is. Its not his fault that the Rockets dont find a better point guard upgrade. Not his fault Ty Lawson didnt work out. There is the question of fit in MDA's system, but I dont think he's played himself out of Houston like T-Jones or Dwight