1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets still have a chance to pull a Dallas.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ZRB, Jan 18, 2002.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Realistically, the playoffs are out of reach, but there is still something to accomplish this season. Two years ago, Dallas was a lottery team. After a terrible start, they finished the season with a record of 17-3 or so. They got on such a good roll, that they were able to carry it over to the next season. They didn't have to spend half of last season working on chemistry, since they had already developed it the year before. As I'm sure you know, they made it to the second round of the playoffs last year.

The Rockets have the talent to get on a major roll to end this season. This is the perfect opportunity to develop a winning chemistry without the pressure of making the playoffs. The Rockets can NOT think tank. They have to do the best they can to win some games, so they can carry it over into next year.

They should also do the best they can to avoid trades. Only role players should be added from this point on. All the pieces are in place, the talent just needs to be developed.

#1 ZRB, Jan 18, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2002
  2. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Damn true! :cool:

3. TroyBaros

TroyBaros "Special" Friend of Steve Francis

What? You have got to be kidding me. Playoffs out of reach?
    Have you seen the standings lately?
    were 6.5 games out of 8th spot.
    Lets see portland lost tonight and oh yeah seattle lost last night.
    Aside from the Lakers and Spurs and Wolves ad Kings it is anyones ball game to make the 8th spot.

Nothing is impossible

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Well that same season I believe we finished 14-9 and it was during that stretch we finally started overcoming some of our 4th quarter problems (at one point the next season I believe GeneP said we were 28-4 in games we led going into the 4th quarter) and actually learned how to win, and while we didn't bust out of the gates the next season it definitely gave us a feeling of we could be winners and I believe that end run was crucial in us winning the 45 games we did (well also having a healthy team).

Actually, this season seems quite like 2 seasons ago. Injuries have decimated our team and our record. We are a young team (sometimes playing 4 rookies). We are having 4th quarter problems again. Now hopefully we can end it like that season and learn how to finish games while growing more as a team and then follow it up with a healthier and more successful season and things should look good from there on out (unless of course injuries are just gonna bite us in the ass from now until eternity). The growing process is a slow one people. Give this team a little more time. It worked two seasons ago. It has a decent chance of working again.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The next person who says the word Tank is going to get spanked in the face. :mad:

6. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

mmmmmm.....mmmmmm....mmmmm...TA........mmmmm......TAN.......mmmmm.......mmmmm....TANK!

:D

7. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

It's been said many-a-time on this board, and is going to be said again.... NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE HEART OF A CHAMPION!

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

problem is...this team isn't a champion!!

9. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

why not tank? Who cares about what Dallas did..... just because Dallas did that, it doesn't mean we can.. why not pull a san antonio and tank like they did, we could get the #1 pick and win the world championship in 2 yrs? Why not pull a SA rather than Dallas?

10. red

red Contributing Member

aka ace=aka shut-your-pie-hole

but seriously, no one wants to go down as a tanker. players wouldnt want to go to a team that doesnt compete. a #1 pick doesnt guarantee success, look at the clips. i still have championship hope...it aint over

11. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tank. Tank. Tank.

Why not some rest for migraines and sore ankles?

How about this lineup :

T. Brown
    Langhi
    Tmo
    Collier
    Cato

Come on, ping pong balls!
    :p

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You juniors have a lot of balls. I don't mean lottery balls either. To hell with the tank talk. Go Rockets!!

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have said it before and I will say it again. Don't tank on purpose, but play the young guys and get them some seasoning, and come back strong next year.

DD

14. Timing

Timing Member

Err... never underestimate the heart of a lottery team!!!