1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden relishes fresh start, getting stability with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kturner77, Jul 23, 2016.

1. kturner77

kturner77 Member

Q&A with James Harden on the upcoming season. Addresses his and other players' fit with new coaching staff, commitment to accountability and playing defense...

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2016/07/23/morning-shootaround-july-23-3/?cid=nbacomsocial_tw_sf31591983

Harden relishes fresh start, getting stability with Rockets
    POSTED: Jul 22, 2016 5:34 PM ET
    By Lang Whitaker

One year ago at this time, the Houston Rockets were preparing to enter the 2015-16 season as presumptive contenders. Following a trip to the Western Conference Finals, the Rockets were hoping to ride their dynamic duo of James Harden and Dwight Howard a bit further this season.

But it couldn't hold, and after a sluggish start to the 2015-16 regular season, the Rockets fired head coach Kevin McHale. Interim coach J.B. Bickerstaff got the Rockets to the playoffs, where they made a first round exit at the hands of the Golden State Warriors.

Plays and coaches have come and gone in Houston, but the one constant has been James Harden, the All-Star guard who gets buckets come rain, sleet, snow or sun. In his seventh pro season, Harden led the NBA in minutes played for a second consecutive season, and averaged a career-best 29 points per game.

This season the Rockets have a new coaching staff and added quality veterans such as Ryan Anderson, Nene and Eric Gordon. Still, Houston's fate will largely rest on Harden's shoulders.

Harden met with a group of reporters this week in Las Vegas at the introduction of his latest shoe from adidas, the Crazylight 2016, which is available now.

Q: How many pairs of shoes do you go through in a season?

HARDEN: Normally? I'm not sure. I like to have a fresh pair every game.

Q: You seem like you'd be hard on them, the way you play.

HARDEN: I mean, I do a lot of cutting, a lot of moving, a lot of running. But for the most part my shoes hold up. Sometimes if I get into a rhythm, and I have a really good week of scoring or playing well, I'll ride the shoe until it falls off.

Q: So you're superstitious?

HARDEN: (laughs) Sometimes. Not always.

Q: How do you feel you fit into Mike D'Antoni's system, and how do you feel his system benefits you?

HARDEN: You know what? The day he got hired, we watched film. We've communicated several times a week. You know, it's going to work. I'm really excited about it because he's prepared. He's prepared, he's given me knowledge, he's given me things where I can fit into his offense and what he's trying to do. And not only myself but the entire team -- I asked him questions about how Patrick Beverley fits and the new guys that we got fit. So it's exciting. And [we added Jeff] Bzdelik, who was the head defensive coach for Memphis. You know, everybody talks about, 'The Rockets aren't a good defensive team.' Well, we got one of the best defensive coaches in the league now. So it's all about preparation. In this league it's all about preparation, putting guys in positions where they're successful, and good things happen.

Q: Do you feel like you get a bad rap for your defense?

HARDEN: Yeah, yeah. But everybody makes mistakes. I can look up the same amount of plays for myself as the other top guys in the league. So I don't really worry, I don't focus on it. And now with the more talent that's going to release some offensive pressure off me, I'm going to be able to go out there and play both ends of the floor at a high level. It's really difficult to go out there, play all 82 games, lead the league in minutes and have to do everything offensively. I mean, no one else had that weight on their shoulders in the league. So like I said, it doesn't really bother me. I focus on what I gotta do and I just go out there and do it.

Q: Next year the salary cap is projected to go up again, but you chose to sign a long-term extension now. What was the thought process behind that?

HARDEN: For me it's not about money at all. Financially, I'm pretty well. It's about winning. It's about building something. When I first got to Houston I got an opportunity to have my own organization, to be a leader and do it the right way, how I wanted it to be done. So me locking myself in, having an opportunity to get guys around me who want to do the same thing...the mindset is great character guys who want to win. And I'm here for it.

Q: Have you spoken to Kevin Durant at all since he made his decision?

HARDEN: Not really, not really.

Q: Last season kind of overshadows what happened two seasons ago when you guys made it to the Western Conference Finals. What do the Rockets have to do to get back to that level?

HARDEN: Well, basically, half our players are new, and an entirely new coaching staff. So, it's about the culture, it's about doing things the right way and holding each other accountable. That's something we kind of lacked last year, and it showed. I'm just excited to have some stability, have some guys who are going to work and focus on winning. This year's going to be a lot better.

1 person likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Bottom line.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bottom line.

1 person likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

Bottom line.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Again not taking responsibility for his defense and thinking better teammates will fix everything, not a good mentality.

6. bongman

bongman Member

He admitted he made mistakes, what else would you have wanted him to say that he is the only one responsible for last year?

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Harden talks a lot about how excited he is that the "coaches are prepared." Dude WANTS to be coached. I just think back at the train wreck of last preseason. Harden wants strategy and direction and less "clap, clap. Play harder."

This season will be better.

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

His teammates sucked balls last year and that gets lost around here.

1 person likes this.
  9. RCPM

RCPM Member

This 100% !

10. rocketseagles07

Man I don't think I can remember a time where I've seen a player so relieved that another player is gone.... Like you can clearly tell he's just happy dwight is gone..

11. rocketseagles07

BTW I know he needs to be more accountable but what do you guys want him to say? "Yea I know I'm trash defensively but I'm gonna try harder"... He's a professional athlete who beleives he's one of the best basketball players in the world. He's not gonna s*** on himself

12. Chamillionaire

They all have politically correct answers. Wish players would just be real.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

THis...

Infact...on a recent radio clip from Kelvin Sampson...he basically said the same thing. Harden most likely will benefit from having game plan structure...If MDA can find a way to make Harden trust the system before reverting back to ISO ball, I really think he will make this Rocket team surprise many teams in the NBA.

14. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

The words throughout the summer are nice to hear but Rockets have never backed them up. When does summer league start? That'll show if this team means what it says

15. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Start? It just ended.

16. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I meant preseason

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Be nice to trade Ariza and Brewer for Rudy Gay and have Dekker backup Rudy.

18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hahaha illogical thinking at its best, in two ways it's bad: Ariza and Brewer over Gay and Dekker on its own and Gay instead of Ariza means no defense.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We'll be alright, we'll be fine.

20. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I think once camp opens and he can see guys like Gordon, Anderson, and Nene come in and get the ball and create their own QUALITY shots and make them, he will no doubt trust them and the system. He didn't see that last year giving the ball to guys like Howard, Ariza, and T Jones. That will make a huge difference.