1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe we'll be good...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jul 20, 2016.

1. 1Deep

1Deep Member

After last season I admittedly was kinda down on the Rockets organization as a whole, but with the additions of Gordon, Anderson, and Nene along with what seems to be a fired up James Harden I can't help but think that we may be in for a great season.

I know we missed out on the top free agents, but it seems like we may have added the shooters we so badly needed and a junk yard dog type personality that will definitely help us in Nene.

Thoughts?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We might be fun to watch - and good on offense. I think we will be BETTER than last year's team but with GS so good, we are not contenders.

DD

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Maybe, maybe no.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Nope.

Don't think we're getting to 40 wins.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'd say 50 wins isn't completely out of reach if our new acquisitions can stay healthy.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Agree with DaDakota. This team might be more fun to watch now but we will NEVER reach the level of GSWs to even have a legitimate shot at the title. Not now and not in the next few seasons. We have to sit and wait for the GSW reign to end. It'll probably be after the Harden era before the Rockets have a legitimate shot at a title. That's the harsh truth.

Pretty much every team in the league is now just waiting for Curry, Green, Durant and Thompson to get old and past their primes.

I'll be able to enjoy the season as long as I don't place championship level expectations for the team. I think most ought to follow suit if they want to keep their sanity.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

"We are not a "super-team", but just a group of guys..."

The best case scenario is a good regular season team cemented in mediocrity. They'll win plenty in the regular season but it's clear to me this team has a capped ceiling.

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Nope, this team sucks now and it's sad because it didn't need to be like this. Mike D is a bum-- thanks alot Les for forcing crap decisions down the organizations throat instead of relying on the people you hired to make those decisions like Morey.

9. tested911

tested911 Member

I have the same feeling as last year..

Competitive - Maybe
    Playoffs - In the Hunt
    Championship team - Not close
    Offense - Should be top 10.
    Defense - Bottom 1/2

Issues - Harden hogging the ball when he has a off night.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think this team will be back at 50+ wins this season. And if blessed with health, will shock a lot of people. I see no reason why this team shouldn't be able to contend for the Thunder's now vacated #3 seed.

The only huge question mark that I have at this moment is Clint Capela. He absolutely has to grow up and develop like yesterday for this team to put it all together.

11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Those who think we will be under 40 wins are delusional. Our team is BETTER than last year. I mean didn't see you see those stats where we actually play better when Dwight sits? Now imagine a more experienced Capela w/ the additions of Ryno and Gordon (mind you, they immediately become our 2nd and 3rd best scorers).

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Unquestionably will be better than last year, but other teams got better as well.

1. Warriors
    2. Spurs
    3. Clippers

Then I think you could make a case for any order of Rockets, Grizzlies, Jazz, Thunder, and Blazers. I think the Wolves are a year away and the Mavs will almost surely fall out.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

3rd HC in little more a season, new coaching staff, new system plus a huge roster churn replacing 3 of the 5 starters. Just making playoffs should be considered a successful season. Expectations have to be tempered more realistically while Rockets adapt to new chemistry, coaching, culture and system.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yup. Teams in the mediocre or worse will do good in getting as many future 1st round picks as possible. Get like 3 1st round picks in 2018, that way when the players they pick that year hits their prime in 2023, the GSW era would be long gone.

15. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

I'm excited for the season.

I would rather an underdog that overachieves than a good team that underachieves. Last season was a swing and a miss but my expectations this season have leveled off.

16. rocketsmetalspd

Anything is possible and nothing is guaranteed to the top 3 in the WC. The Warriors have lost most of what made them a great team and will have to deal with team chemistry, the same can be said about the Spurs and their old back court. The Clippers are the Clippers and will some how find a way to implode as the season unfolds. As for the Rockets I believe that a new environment will benefit the team chemistry wise and having the D really improve will be key to the season, still 4 to 5 on the top 8 will be on the horizon.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agree anything is possible, even bottom 5

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree with this. And it isn't even just Golden State. The best case scenario for the Rockets won't have them sniffing the Spurs either.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I think we will be much better than expected.

Mainly because we got a coach that knows how to maximize James Harden and our offense will actually revolve around James Harden again.

Dwight was great for us but he was an unnecessary cog on offense and his post game was really detrimental to the style Rockets were going for.

As for the playoffs, I am not sure how well we will do, but you don't beat teams like GSW without luck even if you have a solid team. And "getting lucky" in this case is getting hot from 3, and the Rockets have on-boarded two very good 3 point shooter.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

My advise to you, enjoy the games. Don't get too emotionally attached to any specific expectation. If you can't enjoy it, turn it off or leave the arena. Go do something fun or something meaningful. Or else it is going to be one long miserable season.