1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has ESPN Made It More Difficult For Rockets To Attract Free Agents?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jun 25, 2016.

?

Has ESPN Made It More Difficult For Rockets To Attract Free Agents?

1. ESPNs Crusade against the Rockets affects Free Agents desire to play in Houston

44.4%
  2. OP is hypersensitive, ESPN has no affect on a Free Agents desire to play in Houston

30.5%
  3. ESPN does have an anti Rockets agenda but it does not affect free agents

25.1%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Honest question here and if so why?

Note: JVG is the one anomaly at ESPN that always says nice things about the Rockets.

It certainly seems as if the Rockets get slammed by ESPN a lot more than other NBA cities. In all fairness to ESPN, it is the stories about Houston that I pay closest attention to. I do know that ESPN will occasionally slam other teams such as the Knicks but that team really has been completely incompetent over a very very long stretch of years. They have made the play-offs only 3 times since 2004-2005 season and rarely even have a wining season.

I know we all have polarizing opinions of Daryl Morey but since he took over in 2006 the Rockets have had over 50 wins 5 times, made the play-offs 7 times, advanced to 2nd round 2 times and advanced to the WCF 1 time and 0 losing seasons. Even with all of that ESPN reports on the Rockets as if they are a franchise run by the Keyston Cops. They slam Daryl Morey because he uses analytics, even though all of the most successful franchises in the league have highly comprehensive analytics teams that they rely on.

I do not hear the same types of criticisms of other teams such as the Clippers. It would be hard to argue that they have been a better-run organization than the Rockets. Since 2006 they have had 50+ wins 4 times and losing seasons 5 times. They have made the play-offs 5 times advancing to the 2nd round 3 times but never advancing to the WCFs. The Clippers are a team that had top 10 picks 3 times including a number 1 pick and having Chris Paul gift wrapped for them by David Stern.

Additionally ESPN seems to really focus on the Rockets star players in a negative way. ESPN hasn’t said a positive word about Dwight since he signed with Houston. As a matter of fact it has seemed like they have been on a crusade against him since day 1. It seems to me that they constantly criticize James Harden. Granted James earns a lot of it due to his defense but offensive minded player in the league that doesn’t play defense. Has anyone ever heard ESPN criticize Steph Curry’s defense even before the 04/05 season? How about Dirk’s defense? Oh them may mention it but do they focus on his defense so much that you forget that he was an offensive juggernaut? No. How about Anthony Davis? He blocks a lot of shots and rebounds well but his post defense (when not blocking shots) is atrocious. On top of that, his teams are not very good but I never hear a negative word about him.

Which brings me to Free Agents

There is no doubt in my mind that Kevin Durant has little to no interest in the Rockets. I truly believe that. It’s impossible to know how much of the negative press the Rockets and their star players have received over the last few years has played into that. It’s hard to imagine that it hasn’t played into that at least some.

But what is it exactly that Boston, Miami and LA Clippers have that make them more desirable than the Rockets? Lets look at the teams:

- Miami owes 50 million to a group of players that include Bosh, Dragic, McRoberts, Winslow, Richardson and Weber. Bosh may not even play and if he does what can be expected of him. Additionally Miami has a cap hold of about 30 million for Dwayne Wade. Miami can’t even offer Durant a max contract until they settle up with Wade providing he does not demand anything close to the max.

- Boston does have a nice stable of young talent in a weak conference and with cap space. But their team is certainly not great and if Isaiah Thomas is currently the best player does anyone see them being a legit contender, even with the addition of Durant? None of their players are the caliber that Harden is.

- The LA Clippers much like the Rockets are a team that has had internal issues. On the surface Jordan, Griffin and Paul look like a great fit. But it’s been said in many circles that they don’t really get along good. They have no cap space to sign a max player and they have imploded every single season. With 84 million in salary they are going to have to move a lot of players or one of their stars in order to accommodate a max contract.

None of those teams or their star players receives the type of consistent criticism that the Rockets receive from ESPN. Regardless of what is the truth ESPN annually reports free agents are interested in teams X, Y or Z but not seriously considering the Rockets. Even the year Dwight signed in Houston it was reported pretty consistently that he was interested in Dallas, GS, LA or Atlanta and Houston was always seemed to be on the outside. Even up to the last second ESPN was trying to report that Dwight was either going to GS or going back to LA. ESPN reported that stuff as if they had credible sources within Dwight’s camp reporting back to them.

This year you can expect to hear the same type of reporting from ESPN that we have heard in recent years. Free agent X,Y,Z is interested in teams X,Y, Z but not the Rockets. When the Rockets do secure an interview it will be reported as if its nothing more than a courtesy interview. When reporters like Stein or Broussard are reporting things like Dallas was higher up on Dwight’s list than Houston it just comes off to me as if they are trying to create momentum for the player to sign somewhere other than Houston.

Personally I hope Durant refuses to give Houston the time of day so Daryl Morey be forced go after some attainable free agents instead of wasting his time while good options fall off of the table. But once reports start surfacing about players like Al Horford, Nicolas Batum or Hassan Whiteside I wonder how ESPN will spin those players interest in Houston. Furthermore I can’t help but wonder how ESPN’s consistent bashing of the Houston Rockets and its star players has affected their interest in coming to Houston.

1 person likes this.
  2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Great post. Totally agree. Houston seems to be the favorite target of the media bullies.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe, but its probably a result of the rockets shooting themselves in the foot. Being a terrible defensive team and signing Antoni in the offseason puts us more in line with the Kings than the spurs.

Lets blame ourselves first, and focus on the important issues at hand.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yes.

They embarrassed the Rockets by televising them trying to play basketball.

5. bmd

bmd Member

Yes, it does hurt the Rockets. Players are human beings and their perceptions are often shaped by media just like the fans' perceptions are.

When the media keeps trashing a team and basically calling them a joke, it could make players not want to play there and be associated with that reputation.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Rockets did this to themselves, they allowed this to unfold over the years. It has finally caught on fire, this biological radioactive waste.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

What if they are a joke? :confused:

8. rocketseagles07

The media in general has. And the rockets themselves haven't helped

9. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

The average basketball fan outside of Houston thinks harden is awful

10. atamirisa

atamirisa Member

I think part of it is our reputation of treating players like assets and pioneering the use of analytics in the NBA. I don't think we were treated unfairly during the T-Mac/Yao years and pre-Howard era, but I think getting Dwight is what started this media circus. Also, Harden's lack of defense is easy to target. The Lakers had the same problem when Dwight was there, people were constantly talking about how he and Kobe didn't get along. I don't think it's the media's treatment of us as much as it is certain players that attract negative media attention. Before we got Harden, nobody really even talked about us or gave us the time of day.

Miami makes sense because Wade will relent and take less if they can convince KD to stay. They have a nice young core in Winslow and Whiteside (assuming he stays), have a decent market, and more importantly they're in the East. Whatever team KD goes to in the East (if he does)will automatically get to the Conference Finals.

Boston makes even more sense, and they will be an immediate threat to Cleveland. Brad Stevens has an amazing reputation, and players love playing for him. They're even younger, have more assets, and will be a perennial threat for many years to come. If he goes to a team in the East, Boston makes the most sense.

No way he goes to the Clippers. They will be LOADED with the big 4 of they can keep them but I think DeAndre or Blake has to go. CP3 and Durant would be an awesome duo to watch, but even with KD I still don't think they can beat the Spurs or Warriors in a 7 game series. I'm saying this because the Clippers should be going to the Finals every year but can't get it together for some reason.

11. OTMax

OTMax Member

Rockets made themselves an easy target, ESPN is not taken seriously but enough for perception to be shaped by it. Morey and his big mouth sets the example, mixed with Leslie's personality and the star chasing among other actions are not helping. The icing is Harden and the cherry on top is D'Antoni.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Some will dismiss this as whining but I do think you're right. Perception hurts.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, the Rockets organization has brought this on itself, there is no bias, just reporting what is going on with the team.

The Rockets are not a well respected org right now, due to the way they have gone about their business.

If they start winning, all will be forgotten.

DD

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course it has, just look what it's done to the fanbase. How could it not affect others?

Doomed, doomed, doomed doomed

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Basketball fans outside of Houston thinks Harden is a talented offensive player that flops and doesn't make an effort on defense. Fans would like to have him on their team.

ESPN rags on a lot of players and teams, not just Houston.

The Rockets franchise has been an easy target because decisions made by Morey and Les. No one thinks more highly of themselves than Morey and Les.

16. Play07

Play07 Member

just ignore the fact that we have the most COCKY, OUTSPOKEN, MOST TWEETING,

GM in the league smh, let's blame ESPN tho

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No, any idea that the rockets play poorly is "perception."

Even their 41-41 record is just perception.

No one knows how many games we really won.

1 person likes this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

NO.

FA dont' decide on their workplace based on BSPN.
    They talk between themselves and inform their opinions and they listen to their agents. They talk to former players of the current coach, they talk to former players of the team and that's how they get influenced. Not by what ESPN says.

1 person likes this.
  19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I completely get this kind of reaction. But I'm not so sure I agree with it. If we are referring to last season as a bad year then I actually think it says more good stuff about the organization than bad stuff.

The team finished .500 and made the play offs... in a bad year.

Now if we were saying that last season was a good season for the Rockets then I would be more inclined to say the organization is not very good. If last season were considered a good season what would that say for previous seasons?

I get your comment and feel the same way frequently but If the Rockets come out and have a 50+ win season in 16/17 then last season was nothing but an anomaly.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yes, I do believe all the media hatred from TNT, ESPN, has destroyed our reputation on social media which probably gets to the players themselves. Sooner or later, it becomes fact that we are a terrible organization with selfish, ******* players who all hate each other who also break promises and don't pay our players.

There was an agenda towards us ever since the moment we signed Dwight Howard away from the Lakers.

Like i keep saying, with the way we treat Dwight and even some how they treat James Harden, the media has won and even turned many of us against our own players including front office. Big media won. Now all of those big market media members are scrambling to get their own big market teams to sign away our worthless, immature, selfish and unskilled players in Dwight Howard and next year in James Harden. When Dwight is in a Knicks, Warriors, Bulls, Heat uniform and next year when Harden is wearing a Lakers uniform, the Houston Rockets will go back to being completely irrelevant in the media and all those things that were hated on about our organization will mysteriously disappear all the while both Dwight and Harden will be loved and praised once more..