1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy Woj day to everyone!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ferrari77, Jun 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Hope everyone is having a great Woj day/night as he delivers the news before ESPN can relay it to NBA fans!

Huzzah!:grin:

2. htown7829

htown7829 Member

The fake woj that's out there is cracking me up. Getting hundreds of retweets also. I probably won't be saying this when he "breaks" some fake rockets news

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That guys' name is perfect for that because it's obviously hard to spell. :)

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You know the way it works, right?(just like in the NFL Draft)? The teams make their pick and send it to the league reps. When that happens, several people (Woj one of them) intercepts the pick and tweets it before Silver walks to the podium.

Woj isn't really scooping the teams here. Those War Rooms are pretty locked down. He just has access to info at the same time the league gets it.

Now, trade rumors flying around is a different story.

#4 heypartner, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  5. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

The real Woj period is free agency.

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

There was never an impression given that Woj was scooping the teams. I wrote that it was ESPN(their reporters) that he was beating and getting the news on picks and trades before they could get and relay such info.

So basically with the picks, Woj has access to the info at the same time the league gets it but still apparently before ESPN & other outlets it seems.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Or ESPN doesn't want to scoop Silver. That's the whole point of their show, to have Silver announce it. Why would they have someone else announce it on their show? Same happens in the NFL Draft.

What's happened is ESPN's self-imposed rule to not scoop the announcement in order to keep the ratings high for the show has created an opportunity for Yahoo to steal fans away who like to feel they are first. And Yahoo did punch into their ratings this year. And as a result, Yahoo is putting together a quality show with better analysis. I like it better for the analysis. But then again, if JVG and Barkley were still doing the ESPN draft, I'd be watching that.

I actually watched both, back and forth. Still fun to see the players, and ESPN has more of that and the first interviews. Verticle interviews of players comes much later.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I'd just like to say the bigger cap space won't make a difference for some teams that are looking to make profitability. They are not going to spend over a certain budget anyways.