1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Looking back, who would you have rather had—Battier or Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DallasThomas, Jun 23, 2016.

?

Which one was the better use for the #8 pick?

1. Shane Battier

105 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Rudy Gay

75 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

It's the offseason, almost draft time, and this is a relevant topic that used to be hotly contested.

But now that we've seen how both of their careers played out (for the most part), what's your opinion on the deal that sent Stromile Swift and the #8 pick (used to select Rudy Gay) to the Grizzlies in exchange for Shane Battier?

EDIT: For reference, here's what Clutchfans thought of the trade at the time:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=114437

2. amaru

amaru Member

Battier. The team in with him, McGrady, Scola, Yao and Artest had championship potential until injuries killed us.

1 person likes this.
  3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Rudy G. Athletic wing that could score to go next to Mac and Yao would have been super helpful.

4. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Love Battier for sure, but I always wonder if having another scorer to lessen the load for TMac and Yao would've prolonged their careers at all. You sure as hell wouldn't have playoff games where only 4 members of the team score.

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Gay. I liked Battier but he always rubbed me the wrong way when he said he didn't work hard on his offense in the summer and that it didn't interests him as much as defense.

6. HTOWNTAKEOVER

HTOWNTAKEOVER Member

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was at the draft party at TC. When Gay was falling to our pick I told my friend that we need to pick him. Once we were on the clock almost every Rockets fan was on their feet. Loudest draft reaction for the Rockets I ever seen. Then some guy next to me tells me that its a proposed trade to Memphis to get Battier. I saw it on the screen and everyone booed and left. I wish we kept Gay.

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Battier is a proven championship piece. I was in the Toyota Center that draft night when the announcement came that we just swapped Gay for Battier. The entire place collectively looosssst theirrrrr shhhhh*****. I got wrapped up in the moment as well, but very soon that season Battier started doing all that champion-level glue & intangible stuff while McGrady constantly humiliated Gay every time we played Memphis. Oh and look how crazy good Memphis got when they traded for Battier. And he was a big time contributor for the Heat. Twice.

Whose your daddy? Battier!

Love that guy.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

How is this even a question ?

Rudy Gay is horrible. Unless your argument is that JVG could have developed him better, this is a no brainer.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Rudy Gay obviously, he reached Durant's level years ago

but seriously Gay sucks, he's a low efficient chucker with no defense.

he had the potential to be pretty good, too bad he stagnated and no winning team wanted him

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Knowing T-Mac and Yao were made of glass, I'd say Gay.

He actually had value. All Battier got us was Hasheem Thabeet.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Gay. Just because he is the Gay we know today doesn't mean he couldn't have developed into a completely different player with the Rockets.

13. Down19

Down19 Contributing Member

Also Shane Battier was VASTLY overrated here. Nice role player is all. Rudy Gay's 2nd year in the league he was already averaging 20 PPG. Certainly could've helped us when TMac and/or Yao was hurt

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

shane was sposed to be "a" piece for rockets to contend. it turns out that he was "the" piece.

definitely rudy. his defense would've been good enough and rthey needed help scorign.

15. maw7079

maw7079 Member

Rudy Gay... I knew that then

16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Battier is underground famous for being a great role player while Gay is known for his team's being statistically better w/o him... Besides Scola as a 3rd option and Artest as a 4th was plenty good enough.

17. marky :)

marky :) Member

Battier was A right piece to have. Too bad some of our other pieces didn't fit and/or broke down.

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Gay had more sheer talent...

but Battier gave this team something they needed more - leadership!

I believe this question epitomizes the present problem with the organization... too much willingness to gamble on talented players with questionable character (Royce, TWill, etc...) rather than just getting hardworking intelligent guys that are self motivated - rather than looking for others to motivate them...

We need a couple Battiers today... DMo and Capella are good starts...

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Kings are shopping him per Woj

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Shane, the big reason is the possibility that he'll coach for us at some point. He's smart, nothing wrong having a guy like him around. Tough player. I liked him regardless of what Rudy ever did.