1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Assistant coaches: picked by HC / GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jun 1, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

So what is going on H-town. Rudy T had his own staff, JVG had his own staff and Rick Adelman was the last coach to bring his own assistant coaches: http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Adelman_selects_Turner_Sikma-229209-34.html

Since the hiring of McHale and the end of Adelman's tenure, Morey got involved with the whole Chris Finch fiasco. Gunning was also a Rocket before McHale came, so at least those two were picked by the organization (Morey). Were Sampson and J.B. McHale's choices?

Anyhow, it seems Morey is picking at least the defense coordinator for D'Antoni, but what about the rest? Is it part of the agreement with D'Antoni that Morey picks the rest of his staff or do both sides say who they want and meet in the middle? Doesn't seem that way since Rogers & Rex were interviewed already and they are (close to) being hired along with Bzdilek.

So how does this work in general, do most coaches let the GM have some influence or pick their whole staff? And how do people here view it, is it better to let the coach bring in who he wants and maybe get some input from the GM or should the GM have influence since he has a philosophy and a coach might not necessarily agree with that.

To me it seems to show a lack of trust in the head coach and a compensation in this case with D'Antoni being all about offense. I did not like it with McHale and Adelman even less, especially if Chris Finch leaves now. With D'Antoni I get it with noises about him being's Leslie's pick and Morey wants to make sure defense is addressed, though I have little faith in that working because the HC's principles and schemes rule.

Still, I am not a fan at all. A coach should be trusted to bring in his own men, unless it's a young buck like Silas then I get you want a strong veteran presence alongside him. Thoughts?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

It really doesn't matter, as long as Le$lie has the final voice. He clearly knows his basketball and I trust him to make the best basketball decision for our Rockets.

3. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I'd rather have Les make the decisions. He's the boss and he knows what needs to be done to push this team to championchip contention

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Rudy T was a rookie coach and did not hire his own staff, he used the same staff that Don Chaney used.

Jeff Van Gundy had only been out of coaching for 1 season so he basically already had a group of coaches that he was comfortable with. Both Steve Clifford and Tom Thibodeau were part of his staff in NY.

Like JVG, Rick Adelman was an established coach with an established coaching staff when he was hired. TR Dunn and Elston Turner were both off of his staff from Sacramento.

McHale was basically a rookie coach unless you consider the few games he coached in Minnesota. He did not have anything resembling a staff prior to coming here.

Pringles is another story. I don't think either Kurt Rambis or Johny Davis are currently employed though Rambis interviewed for the NY job earlier.

I know Daryl Morey wants to have a say in who the assistants are but I don't know that its not a joint effort with zero input from the coach.

I do think the front office of most franchises being more involved is more of a common trend then it used to be across multiple sports now. Even in football some teams are heavily involved in picking the assistant coaches for the head coach. I'm not sure Jason Garret has ever actually picked his assistants although he went through the charade a couple of times it was actually Stephen and Jerry to picked his assistants.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yep, this is our culture. Can't trust anyone.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

Morey & the rockets

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I think Morey is just more aware of highly skilled, available assistants in the league so D'Antoni was excited by Bzdelik, Rogers and Kalamian being possibilities after he found out who they are. After that, D'Antoni made his own recommendations who Morey will approach and interview and if it works out great, if not Morey and D'Antoni will talk about it and look for plan B.

Not everything is sinister with this team.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Well, there's no reports of assistants being approached other then the ones they reached out the last few weeks. Sounds like you are sure this is how it goes / went. Insider? ;)

9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

This and This. I'd actually prefer Les draw up some plays and suit up from time to time when we go small to show harden and company how it's done. When he's not on the court I'd love to have him give his analysis instead of Bill. I hear the cheerleaders could use some help too...

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Mauri primarily makes all the coaching choices which are reflective of his mantra that coaching doesn't matter

Why do you think after Mauri fired Adelman, he has forced a plethora of terrible to horrible to some of the worst coaches the NBA has ever seen down the Rockets. From McFail to Finchy to BJ Brewerstaff to Pringles.....

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

No he doesn't... he knows what needs to be done to maximize his wealth.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

As I've said...
    We've got an owner that wants to play GM...
    A GM that wants to be the coach...
    and a sg that thinks he's a pg...

nobody will stay in their freaking lane!

this organization is the epitome of dysfunction....

1 person likes this.
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Disagree. Everything about this team is terrible, from what my sources (Clutchfans) are telling me.