1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BleacherReport] Do we need to rethink the 3-pointer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rpr52121, May 28, 2016.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This is not really an over reaction to just this year, but the overall increase in 3 pointers has been steady for the past few decades. Heck, it's how we managed to win a few titles with Hakeem, by surrounding him with 3 pointers shooters. Most superstar-led winning teams have had a similar philosophy. It has now been taken to utmost extreme in the NBA as a whole and especially for some of the best teams right now, e.g. the Warriors and Cavs.

So the question is should the value of the 3 pointer be adjusted?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2295233-want-to-make-the-nba-even-better-re-think-the-three-pointer

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Get rid of the corner three. For openers. I think JVG proposed this a while back.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

2.869257243 points.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't think by any means you take it away. But I would extend the line out at least marginally. Perhaps even widen the court by 6 inches on both sides so you can extend the base line three.

It's getting to the point where it is taking away from players that are good at other aspects of the game.

If you did that and take away hacking on players I would be happy.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Let's wait until 6 more Steph Currys and Klay Thompsons show up in the league. So far its really only two guys abusing the 3pt line, nobody else is efficient enough to jack up 15+ threes a game.

6. tksense

tksense Member

The line was implemented for decades. Back in the days, coaches teach u to take one step in when the 3s are not falling. No one feels the 3ball is unfair because the difficulty seem offset it.

Now you have like two players whose lifetime worth of hard work turn them into superior marksmen, and you feel their ridiculous accuracy take away from other players?

Also, if the line extends, it will only benefit the ultra long range guys more, and take away opportunities from the mortals.

As long as there is a 3pt shot, guys like Curry and Thompson, with their unlimited range, will be more effective than other mere mortals. To change that for two guys is unfair to the game.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there is a precedent though. several of them.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/sports/basketball_players_who_caused_rule_changes.htm#.V0rRrNdE_8U

details at the linked site

8. ling ling

ling ling Member

Hakeem, Barkley and Shaq also caused rules to be changed.

Guess what rules were changed for each of the players.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Well, I remember the NBA before the three point shot. It wouldn't bother me if they did away with the three. Offenses are getting rather boring with so many three point shots. Sometimes it seems like most of the game is just three point shots, flopping, and free throws.

10. what

what Member

The 3 point line, coupled with analytics, are killing the game of basketball.

This entire postseason has been pretty much unwatchable basketball, because every teams goes down trying to shoot 3s as fast as possible since they can't play half court basketball anymore.

I don't know what the solution is because this kind of basketball sucks.

11. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

No, there's no point on the floor where the difficulty suddenly ramps up over a few inches closer. Obviously what the NBA needs to do is start at 1 point near the hoop and have computers calculate distance of every shot during the game and dynamically score the shot based on a formula that scales the point value up based on distance.

That's only fair, lol.

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Part of why I bring it up is that the playoffs have just seemed to have a significantly more blowouts than the past. That is likely not the truth and having numbers to prove would be great, but it feels like it.

It devolves into announcers calling yesterday's game between GSW and OKC an "instant classic" simply because the final score did not have a double digit spread.

Instead of changing distances, what about just changing the point values. I think the decimal values the reporter proposes is a little crazy, but I remember some basketball person in the past mentioning something about making 2 points worth 3 points and 3 pointers 4 points. It would decrease the extra benefit at least a bit.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Then don't watch

14. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

I don't know if point values should be changed, but I do know that the game is far better for having the "extra-points line." It incentivizes shots from further out and that kind of spacing allows for better flow in the half court. If there weren't a three-point line, with the size and speed of NBA athletes now, the half-court game would be an absolute logjam of bodies and the game would be horrendous to watch.

15. BackdoorHarden

Yea, I only like to watch Iso basketball and one guy holding the ball for 20 seconds while the 4 others guys stand and watch.

Now that's real basketball!!!

1 person likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Most rule changes are for physical attributes rather than skills.

I am sure the goaltending rule was there because players were getting too tall they could just swat away any shots above the rim.

Shaq and Barkley were just too much of a brute force bulling their way to the basket.

And in most of these cases, the physical abilities taken advantage so frequently made the game ugly.

Until most people start thinking 3pt shots make the game ugly, it won't be changed.

17. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Most of this is sour grapes. There are 2 guys in the league that have worked to perfect their 3 point range and people want to penalize them because they aren't on their favorite team. The rule changes before were for players who dominated the game physically. Curry nor Thompson are physically imposing players, they're skilled players. They both know how to dribble and play off the ball, yet people say they're not playing the game the right way and want to penalize themy because they can hit from anywhere on the court. Yeah cause harden, durant, Westbrook are playing the game the right way with their hero ball.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think a rule change is necessary because of them two dudes.

But i do think it worthy of thought in the whole because no it's not just about two dudes. The three point numbers are obviously way way way higher across the league then 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago etc. worthy of thought. Not sure on conclusions - is it a bad trend? Does it make basketball better, worse? Not sure.

19. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Look at how Curry and Thompson are perceived in the media and by kids around the world. The darling 'splash brothers'!
    The NBA aren't going to change the rules for this gravy train.

Funny though how the 3 point is in a nutshell Morey's philosophy, but its just that he can't get decent shooters to fit.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

*Something to complain about*