1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey remember when we all booed Robert Horry cause we wanted Harold Miner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, May 26, 2016.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You remember it. Flashy dunk artiste from USC, aka Baby Jordan, was available, for a Rockets team that had 0 perimeter drive threats. . Instead the Rockets passed on him for Buck Johnson 2.0, a move that was viscerally and vocally disliked by an ornery draft night crowd and universally panned later....and we all know how THAT one turned out.

Well......this is pretty much...

nothing like that.

Doomed. Probably

5 people like this.
  2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LOL
    [​IMG]

Rocket River

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

It's the fact that we have an owner that keeps exerting his elementary basketball knowledge opinions into decisions that force the franchise to take steps back when we could be moving forward.

as long as we have an owner that meddles into the job that he has hired other people to do but they can't do properly because he wants control and say so... as long as we have an owner that does that we will NEVER have a championship team again

It makes me sick

#4 Realjad, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Worked for Jerry Jones with Barry Switzer :)

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I was at the Summit that night for the draft event. Minor kept falling and falling..

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

LOL... Houston was very fringy on the Rockets back then. Still drawing 9,000 a game at the Summit.

8. bmd

bmd Member

I laughed.

9. Mutombo

Mutombo Member

Lol thanks for this. I needed it!

10. MONON

MONON Member

My brother & I were there that night & were excited that Miner was still there when we picked. When Horry's name was called, we both turned & faced each other with this "WHO" look on our faces. The only thing we heard at that point was all the BOOing & it went on for a couple of minutes. I'll never forget that.

While MDA's the last hc on my list, this really depends on the defensive assistant coaches on his staff. Because of that night, I'm willing to let it play out a little bit making a final decision.

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Remember when I booed Marcus Morris during the DRAFT CHAT cuz I wanted Kwahi Leonard?

12. PeppermintCandy

Had the Rockets picked Harold Miner, they'd have won four championships rather than a measly two.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude that was STEVE PATTERSON'S DECISION

not LES ALEXANDER'S

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You know what was worse? How everyone hated the JJ Watt pick...sometimes fans really don't have a clue.

What's that old sports saying for GMs and coaches? If you listen to the fans you'll be sitting with them soon enough.

Rockets have been a good organization for a while. Last season sucked. A lot. But it certainly was an outlier to how good they've been. Not elite championship good but they have banged on that door a few times.

1 person likes this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steve Paterson was under the Charlie Thomas regime.

Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Vernon Maxwell, making Rudy T coach, that was not on the Alexander watch.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm not talking about any of that though.

I'm talking about the general belief that fans sometimes have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to drafting players, picking coaches, and these big decisions that teams make.

17. Asian Sensation

Hey! I remember we all booed Bryce Drew cause we wanted Rashard Lewis. Then we missed out on him again by taking some other euro scrub named turkan or something. Aside from some obvious picks and a few gems we really suck at drafting. Especially between picks 12-20. Then there's times when we drafted an athletic wing and got excited only to be traded within the hour. Richard Jefferson, Gay, Batum.

Luckily we won't be blowing a 12-14 pick this year. Unfortunately we don't have it to trade either. Boo

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah, but the problem here is that we're not talking about fans second-guessing coaches and GMs, we're talking about second-guessing an owner. An owner isn't coaching or running a basketball team for a living, his experience and knowledge lies elsewhere. In fact, its highly likely a rabid fan will be better informed than an owner who isn't that involved in operations and just wants to see that bottom line every year.

The only saving grace I can see in this hire is if we surround him with good assistant coaches then it might be ok. But then again you can say the same for other coaches like JVG or Vogel who are all objectively better than MDA.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Well, the JJ Watt comparison might have been appropriate if the Rockets had hired Silas, or even the third assistant from SAN. Since both would have been relative unknowns, versus a much more publicized and thus desired alternative like Vogel, or Thibs, or even JVG.

Instead, they hired someone whose record and coaching approach/philosophy is very well known. Both locally and nationally. And thus there is much opposition. So much so, that the organization feels it necessary to tout what a wonderful assistant coaching staff they will hire to support the headcoaching hire. Including a top notch defensive assistant.

Which tells you that even the organization knows the hire is not only widely unpopular, but for good reason.

20. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I thought it was Rudy T who wanted Robert Horry and he just passed it up the chain.