1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When is the NFL going to get with the times and remove the stigma surrounding the use of weed

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by what, Apr 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

To me it is plain silly that weed is regulated in the nfl the way it is. I can see why teams passed on Tunsil with the current rules, but to me it is plain backwards thinking.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's already happening.

10 years ago this would have been a league-rocking scandal.

Now it's like... 'lol, weed' and far more about the drama instead of the supposed 'crime'.

It will keep making headlines until it is no longer a crime, though.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The NFL has always been slow to catch up to society.

4. Apps

Apps Member

It's a conservative sport with conservative employees--just look at some of the coaches. It stands to reason it would take a long time. The NFL could actually be considered quite liberal compared to the sensibilities of some of its fans, as a matter of fact.

5. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

It's "lol, weed" to the fans and consumers, but not to the NFL nor its teams. Read the rules and look how far top talent falls (Mathieu, Tunsil) because of smoking weed.

6. Victorious

Victorious Member

I think its hilarious that the one video could land him in the substance abuse program. Yet a guy like Manziel is a known party guy before he came into the NFL yet he wasn't subjected to the program. And look at him now.

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Being a party guy means the guy is a substance abuser? :rolleyes:

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Wasn't the rolled up $20 in a Vegas restroom prior to the start of his rookie year? That's just as damning. You can't prove what that $20 was for from a pic as much as you can't prove what was in that gas mask from the video.

9. Victorious

Victorious Member

I don't know man, what about alcohol? Seems to have a bit of a problem with that I think. You might even go as far to say that alcohol was one of the factors that led him to losing his job. Or does alcohol not count here? LOL

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

It would help a lot if it was legal nationwide.

11. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

No matter how you feel about it, mar1juana is currently illegal in most of this country. If you have a potential multi-million dollar deal on the table but you just can't resist that reefer then you are not a victim. You are just a dumbass.

The NFL can't go opposite of this since the Mary Jane is an illegal substance by (most) US laws.

We could argue the legality of mar1juana all day long (I personally support decriminalization); but I feel no pity for someone who bongs up and tries to play the victim later.

And I certainly do not feel pity for any dumb ass who either takes or allows a video of themselves smoking a damned bong attached to a gas mask. Even if that was your first puff then you have already smoked yourself stupid!

If you don't want to be held accountable for your own dumb ass behavior, then don't act like a dumb ass...and definitely do not record it!

I would love to see a day when our country does not look at the reefer and immediately think criminal consequences. I, personally am not interested in it; but I don't give a rat's ass if anyone else does want to and does it on their own time and in their own homes.

But this isn't a conversation about if weed should be legal in the future. This is a conversation about the here and now; and in the here and now you have to be an absolute, #$@(ing idiot to allow yourself to be recorded doing something illegal (especially if you had a million-dollar job offer on the table like the NFL draft).

And you'd have to be an even bigger idiot to try to justify a position that has quite possibly literally smoked itself stupid.

12. Victorious

Victorious Member

Would there be the same reaction if he was drinking out of a beer bong, instead of smoking a bong? I HIGHly doubt it. Thats the problem. All substance abuse should be treated equal, legal or illegal.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He's a coke head, boss.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Who are users that led NFL teams to championships? It is a drug that is not only illegal nationally, but performance dampening at the most critical moments both on the field and off. There is Michael Phelps, but outside of that who are the users that have not only made a difference, but taken teams to titles? Need not draft. It is ironic that Miami, who battled Ricky Williams for years, decide to take Tunsil.

15. Victorious

Victorious Member

A similar example I can think of is Tyrann Mathieu. Weed cost him millions too in the draft. He mentioned he smoked regularly since 12 yrs old. But I bet teams would love to have him on their team, who was All-Pro 1st team last season.

Let's be real here, the NFL is not a church. Look no further than the concussions/cte topic. You do know that NFL players regularly smoke, right? If you are not in the substance abuse program, you are drug tested during a "testing window". Once you pass that you don't get tested for the year. The only people that fail the "random" test are the ones dumb enough to smoke in the "testing window". Players know ahead of time.

I'm shocked more people don't know this. Here are some quotes from a article that talks about mar1juana use in the nfl for rec uses to as a pain reliever and help with depression/suicide.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...veted-by-nfl-players-as-invaluable-painkiller

Texans Owner Bob McNair:

16. Fantasma Negro

Once weed is nationally decriminalized I think the league will utilize treatment derived from mar1juana research to aide in a myriad of medical issues that come with playing in the NFL. Physical but mainly mental