1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

What did Dwight do to deserve so much hate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Valen, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Valen

Valen Member

When I had a poll on who was responsible for the failure of this season, most blame Morey, some blame Harden, and the others blame JB. But rarely do I hear someone blaming Howard for the failure of this season. Yet, here at the end of this season, the board is unanimously trashing Dwight Howard and want him gone. Heck, with how much complaint Brewer got throughout the season, you would think he should be the first to get canned. But there is no mention of it. What the heck did Howard do? Yea he under-perform this season but so did everyone else. In my opinion, Harden drop off from last season was even worst. Ariza is aweful too. But damn, everyone wants Howard's head all of sudden.

2. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I didn't see your poll, but if I were to vote, I would pin a majority on Dwight. He is the team's highest paid player. Yet, he was totally useless and as an offensive player while clearly taking a step back as a defensive anchor. That would all be forgivable if he shut up and accepted being a glorified role player. Instead, he complains about post touches and wants to be 'showcased'. It is no coincidence that things have ended badly everywhere he has played. The common denominator with the problems in Orlando, LA, and Houston is Dwight.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

People want an escape coat.

4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

because we all now know that dwight being the second best player on the team wont produce winning basketball.

he can't score if it's not a dunk or a lob.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

maybe because he looked happier after each of our 41 losses than he did after a game winning shot in the playoffs.

the other thing is the return on investment. he's not worth his cap hit. that money could be spent elsewhere and his contract would actually be a hinderance if he were to opt in.

1 person likes this.
  6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I don't get the people who say he complains about touches. Sure of course he wants more touches and he answered an interview question wrong from a PR stand point but he hasn't been complaining all year to the media about not getting touches. He stated last year that he accepted his role and just wanted to focus on the team winning. He has said that he does not need touches. Sure this is also PR but people are making it sound like he's going out and publicly complaining about not getting the ball and that's just not true.

7. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

He needs to move on from the rockets in either case

8. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

i dont think hes the problem, but letting him walk might be the solution...

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

His game never improved it actually regressed. This is with 2 of the best big men to ever play the game available to him!!! Can't play him in the 4th qtr of tight game. Never developed a face up game or improved his FT

10. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Dwight was right you know. He always said there needs to be more ball movement everyone needs to touch the ball. I think Dwight did the best he could with what he had.

11. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

since the Yao era, i have never like DH, his game is so dependent on althletic ability, he got lucky too have such a perfect team to compliment him in orlando and went to the finals, but as a player, he is never really a dominant player, he needs someone who can throw lobs and who can initiate offense for him, his skills are flawed because you can always foul him and get him to shoot free throws and mess up the team's offensive rythm, his on court demeanor is not good IMO as well, he has low basketball IQ, you can go on and on, when we got him, i have mixed feelings because i know that he is not the best second option along harden, but i would love to have a try, now seeing the result, i think it's time to let him go, i believe most of the people on board should have the similar feeling like me

12. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

He gave us hope and then he destroyed it.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He never worked on his free throws.

1 person likes this.
  14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

this is a job not even captain obvious can do but i'll give it a try.

uhhhhhhhh..20+ MILLION ****IN DOLLARS AND HE GIVES UP! thats why. he played 45min and couldnt even get 10pts. cant make even half of his fts no more. he didnt get paid for this. i defended dwight all season but he didtn show up in the playoffs to his level. he's not the only one.

15. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Nope, I blamed harden. Still do.

16. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

He involved with professional sports in Houston. If people didn't hate him right now - and he's likely leaving so they have to get in their licks while there's still time - they'd get around to hating him eventually.

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

If he leaves Houston, the fans don't deserve to boo him. He did played his butt off in the playoffs.

18. hakeemthagreat

I think the consensus is Dwight wants more of a role, more touches, but hasn't put in the work to deserve those touches. Still no jump hook, still can't shoot FT's, and still doesn't compete every night. How can you demand greatness from others when you aren't demanding it from yourself? No way Bogut should be outworking you bro

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NOTE: Duplicate post from the "blame Harden" thread. Gotta share the love. :grin:

I know some folks think the Starters are morons, but here's their analysis of what went wrong with the Rockets. Spoiler alert: they don't blame it all on Dwight.

Rockets segments starts at 7:10.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7GAcKJgnzuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He lets balls within reach fly him. He has no post skills. Makes rookie mistakes with fouling and three seconds etc. He mails it in too often. All this at a whopping $20million plus a year.