1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Free Agency Ideas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cashmoney, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Thought I would start a thread covering a list of free agents I like, and the Rockets are potentially looking at (keep in mind it depends on what direction we take and what system we roll with going forward). Mods feel free to sticky this to keep it all in one place. Who do you think we should pursue/sign? Feel free to raise other free agents you like or I haven't mentioned.

Free Agents

Kevin Durant: The ultimate prize. Needs no description.

Al Horford: A well rounded All Star (not a true star). Doesn't rebound like you would expect him to, but has expanded his range over the past year to become the prototypical stretch four. He attempted 3 triples a game and connected on 34% of them, which is solid enough to be a threat. Has begun to work further and further away from the paint, has a nice mid range jumper, which would suit Harden's pick and pop game. Will get the Max and is 29.

Nicolas Batum: Something of an unknown. Had his worst season in 2015 but bounced back nicely this year with the Hornets. His dip in efficiency over the past couple of seasons is something of a worry (only 42/35 % this year), but the Rockets should heavily pursue Batum if Durant strikes out. He is comfortable handling the ball and is a triple double threat, he 5.8 assists per game this season (career high), assist to turnover ratio of two. Can be inconsistent at times but he would be a great get for Houston. He would bring a similar skillset to what Parsons did with better defense.

Harrison Barnes: Has been talked about a lot on this board, I have expressed support for him in the past, but think Batum (and obviously Durant) would be better. He's not worth the max but if he doesn't get it from the Warriors he will get it from someone else. Solid three point shooter but is limited offensively, which I doubt is what we really need.

Hassan Whiteside: Outrageous stat sheet stuffer, but are we interested? His true defensive impact may be overstated, and has many of the same flaws as Howard, age being in his advantage. Would be surprising.

Evan Fournier: Touched on him before. Absolute baller. Would be awesome here, he wants the max (yuck).

Kent Bazemore: Something of a dark horse. I'm not sure how willing Atlanta are to pay him, very versatile wing who can play SG and SF. Solid shooter, but most importantly he is able to put the ball on the floor and make something happen. Exceptionally athletic. Still only 26/27. Are we interested?

Evan Turner: I like Turner. Very nice well rounded game. Not a great offensive player but capable, and sound defensively. Exceptional play maker and runs point for Boston regularly. Can't shoot the three but I can envision him playing the Livingston role for us off the bench, leading the second unit. Often uses his size to back down smaller players. Good player.

Joakim Noah: How much is left in the tank? Exceptionally gifted passer for a big man, intelligent player who plays with heart. Could be awesome off the bench.

Jared Dudley: Would almost be shocked if he didn't come here. He has high praise for Harden and has expressed that he would like to play with him in the past, very nice player. Elite three point shooter. We need shooters.

Mike Conley: High IQ player, just solid all around. Doubt he comes here, doubt we pursue him, but keep tabs on him.

Courtney Lee: Would be an excellent addition. Very capable three point shooter and plays stoic defense. We need shooters.

Ryan Anderson: Rockets have expressed interest in the stretch four before, but I doubt he comes here. Isn't worth the max in my opinion and is just far too inconsistent to be a major piece on a contender.

Darrell Arthur: A bit left field, but has improved his range significantly. 38% from three this year, a nice option that can stretch the floor. His mechanics are very smooth, again, we need shooters. Could play a little bit of the Speights role off the bench.

Gerald Green: Maddeningly inconsistent with a weak handle but athleticism for days. Has had a poor year in Miami but he could fit into our system and is a solid three point shooter over his career. Would be cheap. We need shooters.

Chandler Parsons: lol.

4 people like this.
  2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

You forgot Dwight Howard

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

There's not going to be any reunion happening here, but I'd imagine that's what you find amusing.

Because from a talent and fit standpoint, I think it's fairly obvious this team misses his versatility. He made us a lot more dynamic, which I suppose, is another reason to consider a Batum type.

4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Hell no on Evan Turner, have you heard him talk in interviews?...

He thinks he is the second coming of Jordan

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Whiteside would be great.

Unless Whiteside develops the ol' "Dwight demanding the ball in the post" syndrome, Harden and Whiteside PnR'ing all day would be fantastic.

6. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Every time we recruit shooters, they become duds on the Rockets. Ariza, Terry, Prigioni, Garcia, & Casspi are a few that come to mind. Look at all these players and their 3pt % are always below their career average when on the Rockets. It's the damn lack of plays we run and the fact that we are so predicable to guard.

7. StrawberryJamm

Agree with you on Nick Batum after we strike out on Durant.

Another risky but high potential target for max money is Bradley Beal, could be the best shooter and fit next to Harden outside of Durant.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I really hope we sign Jared Dudley. I like that guy a lot.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

it won't matter if Morey spends all his time with Durant and Horford while other teams focuses on the rest of the free agents.

we'll most likely shop in the bargain bin for bench players again.

10. BAHAMIANFAN

This. Most of the time our salary cap is 90% on 2 players and a bunch of vet min scrubs. Last night was evidence of this fact.

11. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Wrong.

Delfino was elite. Parsons was above average. Ariza had one really good year from three in his contract year :)rolleyes:). Garcia was poor in his final year but was a good shooter before that. Terry has been a solid three point shooter here, he's simply too old.

Prigioni shot a good percentage on very little volume and Casspi was mainly useless over his career until this season.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd love Courtney Lee back but Ryan Anderson should be a priority signing.

13. BAHAMIANFAN

It's not wrong. Those players listed above did not meet our expectations as shooters and practically disappeared during playoffs.

14. ibm

ibm Member

jeff green and aminu are the 2 guys i'd like to have on our team.

15. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I forgot about Jeff Green, if the price is right I'd take a look, very inconsistent though. Aminu is contracted for another three years I believe.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Lee, Conley & Batum.

Trade Ariza plus pick for serviceable big man

Give away brewer and a 12 pack of beer to help ease the receiving teams suffering

keep dmo and super cool beas

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

I just say stay away from Anderson, Turner and Parsons.

Overall i think it's better to sign two great/very good players, so, my idea is:

PLAN A: Durant-Horford

PLAN B: Whiteside-Batum

PLAN C: Biyombo/Ezeli/Boban (only if cheap)- Barnes-Fournier

Notes:

- not a fan of giving a max to guys like Batum, Whiteside, Barnes and Fournier, but at that point you just have to use your cap space so...

- Conley is good but yeah, he's not coming here

- i like Bazemore, really, but not sure he's worth the money he's goin to get...

- Noah is maybe even more injury prone than Dwight at this point

- Where's Lebron on that list? :cool:

18. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

good post.

Allen Crabbe might be a decent young guy to add.

They won't exactly solve all our woes, but adding Noah and Dudley would go a long way toward adding locker room leadership. Something tells me though that Thibs will sign Noah to an overrich deal that everyone will question, and possibly give Pekovic the Josh Smith treatment.

19. skoo9382

skoo9382 Member

i think Dudley would be a good pick up for on and off the court. Seems to be a good locker room guy.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good list.

I think Noah, Dudley, and Lee could all 3 come in and fit/help immediately. Hopefully they won't cost too much. I would really love it if all 3 came. A Harden/Lee backcourt would be great (if we had additionaly playmaker(s) at SF and PF which of course we don't).

These guys probably will cost too much (for what IMO they will contribute): Parsons, Fournier, Anderson, Barnes, Batum.

If we had a 1st round pick (or two - thanks for nothing, SVG!) and were capable of doing a full rebuild, we could make a damn good team for next year.

Lee/Bev
    Harden/Seth Curry
    Parsons*/Player B
    Power Forward/Dudley
    Whiteside/Noah

Probably close to impossible for us to have done that but still, would have been nice.

*We'd need his cutting/playmaking ability