1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Altuve +/- 60 Walks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CometsWin, Apr 17, 2016.

?

Pick the over or under on 60 walks for Altuve.

Poll closed Apr 22, 2016.
  1. Under 60

52.0%
  2. Over 60

48.0%
  1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So, I'm setting the line at 60. He's on pace for 75 right now but he's never had more than 40 in a season. Is he showing actual improvement or is it just a lucky streak?

Over/Under poll coming.

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

He has turned into a complete hitter. Which I never thought was possible.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

in the same way Giles will be a good pitcher, Altuve very likely won't double his typical walk total--though he may certainly have improved. He's seeing the ball really well right now though and is being patient. If this (walks, power, steals, avg) lasts all year, he'll be in the mix for MVP

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Plus... Altuve is becoming more complete. Evidenced by the opposite field power he's been displaying

+

5. Nook

Nook Member

Altuve is only 25 years old, a year younger than Springer and close to the same age as Mark Appel... So I certainly believe he can still develop as a hitter. He was just a vastly underrated minor leaguer and came up very early.

6. Mashing

Mashing Member

Not to mention his gold glove defense. Never thought he'd turn into this kind of player.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What gets me really excited is the possibility that his power surge this year is a result of being more patient at the plate too. All the sudden he is seeing more pitches, and the result is better pitches to hit. So when he does get them he has a better chance to crush them than swinging at stuff eye level or way outside or whatever (which he was still able to get decent wood on in seasons past but never stood a chance at driving deep).

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Still can't believe they have him locked up for pennies till 2020.

He may be deserved of an early raise if he continues to keep this up (a token of appreciation and commitment to him being an astro for life).

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's had other times where he was walking at a decent clip, but then would go a week or more before the next one.

I'm actually more interested in the surge in power. He's absolutely crushing those balls.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The opposite field power excites me...he had never hit an opposite field home run, and now he has two of them within a couple days.

Exciting to watch this little dude do big things.

11. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Exactly. We saw him turn on a mid-90s fastball in the series against the Royals onto the railroad tracks, and then he follows that up with two oppo blasts in the next series? That's mighty impressive, must be nice to have that kind of talent!

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Now, if he could just quit getting picked off - perhaps that is what he will work on for next season. :)

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Per 790am...

Altuve had never hit more than 3 HRs in a calendar month.

Now he has 4 with 10+ games remaining in April.

14. Buck Turgidson

I think we're just going to have to resign ourselves to the fact that that is just the kind of player he is. Uber-aggressive on the bases, sometimes to a fault.

15. bobrek

I wonder if any of it has anything to do with his height. If he takes the same lead as a "normal" sized aggressive runner, he has less of a reach to get back to the base.

I haven't seen all of his pickoffs when diving back, but the ones I have seen, a "normal" reach would have made him safe most of those times.

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

You can stop wondering.

His smaller frame should enable him to be quicker than taller guys, thus, compensate for any reach discrepancy.

He just messes up sometimes.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I can't imagine that matters. That would imply that he is unaware of his height and how much of a lead he can take, and is instead basing his lead size on what he sees other people do. I think he's well aware of his size, reach, and presence.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Is that what your wife tells you?

:p

19. bobrek

Based on how many times he gets picked off compared to other potential base stealers, he may not be. :)

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Still on pace for over 70 walks. He actually leads the league in doubles and steals right now, also has 8 home runs. Crazy.