1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will come first for Rice next year? Ego or Team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Festeral Otto, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Contributing Member

How will Glenn behave next year. Will he come in and expect to be the 'old' Glen Rice?(no pun intended), or will he make his best effort to fit into a young team that (most likely) will not be looking for him to be the 1st, 2nd or 3rd scoring option.

The Rockets seemed to have always had two types of aging players: The ones looking for one last team to make a contribution to(ala Purvis Short, Larry Smith.. maybe even Clyde) and the ones that haven't quite realized thier time as the super stud is over(Barkley, Pippy and last years' Hakeem).

I understand that it may be difficult for some player's to realize that it's time to take a back seat, however, this is still a team game despite all of the NBA marketing hype to the contrary.
    Teams evolve..with or without players participating in that evolution. Glen, in my view, can either be a valuable role player or a very expensive pain in the arse.....

2. jshabang

jshabang Member

Who cares,

My mon always said you can't miss what you never had, and in my opinion we never had The "Glen Rice". So he can come back with any opinion he wants, I could care less. Ask for another trade for all I care.

3. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Contributing Member

While your mom may be wise...it doesn't change the fact that the Rockets are stuck with him. If he complains about minutes, shots or anything else...it would be a blow to team chemestry and no one is going to want Glen in a trade next year...

Expect to see Rice in the blue jammies for the foreseeable future...whether you, me or Rice himself likes it.

4. jshabang

jshabang Member

Understandable,

My point being, if he complains to much, he'll have a nice comfortable seat right next to Larry Smith, rather than be out on the floor playing with Franchise and the Franchisettes.

Believe me, Glen knows better than you and me he's at a point in his career where he's not the player he was 3 to 4 years ago. He's not washed up by any stretch of the imagination, I'm not foolish enough to say that. That jumper is the stuff of legends and could return at any time, but I personally think Glen knows he's not coming here to be the man and carry a Franchise. Hell he's not even gonna be the man next to the man.

I believe Glen knows he's not an any position to come back demanding this and demanding that. He has something to prove to all of us when he gets back, before we get into any of that. I'm not dissing Glen either. I'm a huge Rice fan, I was ecstatic about the trade when I first heard about it. However, I'm also a realist.

So Glen needs to,

Come back first, put up some decent numbers, show me a hint of that legendary picture perfect shot, Then talk about having attitudes about playing time or anything else. Give us something to argue about.

That's the truth
    No Chaser!!!!!!!!!!!!