1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj podcast with Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, Feb 13, 2016.

1. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Link

Man I miss Yao

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Thank you man. Love listening to Yao! Great personality. Great human being.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dang man, the feels. Yao was too damn selfless; had to play for the motherland. I want that 06 Yao back so bad. I would trade both dwight and harden for that beast again.

1 person likes this.
  5. Caesar

Caesar Member

I really wish we only played him 30mpg or less after the first signs of foot trouble. His first 3 seasons, he only missed 2 games. He played an average of 30.8mpg. That's where he should have stayed. We can blame him playing year round basketball his whole career, but the Riley, JVG, Thib line of coaching has some damning evidence of overworking players into early retirement due to injuries.

The Rockets as an organization failed as well. If only Morey was the GM for Yao's entire career. Those teams were so bad until Morey came along.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/djMBIaqlY1Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mktLxZ6e83I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:(

7. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

man I miss Yao Ming! such a humble, selfless guy. Its a shame that he had so many injuries. he risked his career to play in the Olympics, unfortunately for Rockets fans it didn't end well. Dude deserved better health than what he got.

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Read his book again recently. Love the stories about him and Stevie's early friendship and how Stevie took him under his wing.

Francis and Yao were so easy to love. And Cat Mobley.

Was fun times being a Rocket fan with those boys rolling.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Listen to the podcast. Yao says that he broke the navicular bone in his foot in February '08 and the doctors told him after surgery that he would need 8-12 months to heal. He rehabbed hard and was ready for the Beijing Olympics in August, 6 months later. He said he knew he was risking the rest of his career, but his pride for playing for his homeland (especially playing in China) meant more to him than his NBA career.

We may not like the way it turned out, but that's who the man was. We can't blame the Rockets training staff or coaches for that.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Adelam increased his minutes (to 37mpg) when he got here.

11. hakeemthagreat

Yea fun times. But also frustrating watching Francis iso dribble for 23 seconds and turn the ball over. Sounds very familiar:p

12. BleedsRocketRed

My 2nd favorite Rocket all time. Man I miss him, what a great personality and player

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yao is the **** man... So glad he was a Rocket. I loved his story about not being afraid of Shaq untill the second time he faced him lol.

14. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

great listen. For the record I believe that first shot in the Olympics vs the US in 08 was from 3.

15. Chuck_Ferrari

Chuck_Ferrari Member

That was great and inspiring to hear. He is so wise beyond his years.

I loved the part about how he explained that your opponent is what essentially creates you.

And the honesty was extremely refreshing...how he wasn't intimidated by the Shaq on the first matchup because he didn't really know what to expect, but was conpletely nervous on the second matchup. Also, the part about playing for the national team that's been mentioned, and breaking down a different cultural perspective.

16. sew

sew Member

Yao is a great human being.

17. Rocket_Boy_34

Rocket_Boy_34 Member

Thanks for sharing those videos. That takes me back to one of those eras when our superstar was likeable...

18. NickKent

NickKent Member

Just listened to it. Wonderful to hear his humility and graciousness after all these years

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Enjoyed watching him grow
    Enjoyed watching him play
    I knew he'd a baller when I saw him on the cover of SI at age 17

Rocket River

20. MD_in_Training

I can't even listen to this without great sadness... it's great to hear his voice, but the tragedy of his injuries:(