1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Rockets be a better team with Paul George instead of Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Nov 30, 2015.

?

Would the Rockets be a better team with PG instead of Harden?

1. Yes. Improved defense, ball movement, AND PG is a great scorer.

38 vote(s)
    63.3%
  2. No, the Rockets would be worse with PG instead of Harden. (Explain why)

19 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. No, simply because I'm a homer.

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Not asking who the better player is. I'm asking if the Rockets would be better with PG instead of Harden. I think so because it would improve the atrocious defense, and Lawson would be able to thrive as the primary ball handler.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Nice Unbiased poll, I like that, really helps with discussions

3. boozer13

boozer13 Member

i don't think PG is that great of a defender to make that much of an impact on this team defensively, but since he is playing great so far, i can see that it could be a slight upgrade. but overall, PG has a lot to prove and if Harden picks up his game, i wouldn't do the trade.

4. Swishh

Swishh Member

I didn't list any reasons for "NO" because I don't agree with it...which is why I put 'explain why' in parentheses. Calm down.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Having Lawson here makes this question easier.

Assuming Ty would shoot better than 20% FG

6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

This year's PG vs. this year's Harden? Probably. Any previous iteration of PG? No. And any interation of PG vs. last year's Harden? Definitely not.

So far, this year's PG is playing like last year's Harden in terms of raw production and efficiency (PER 26.1, TS 60.5%).

However, Harden is still the superior passer - it's not even close - and the raw production numbers don't highlight how important Harden's playmaking is to whatever passes for offense with the Rockets. If PG were here, we would also need a playmaking PG, which theoretically we have with Lawson but that version of him has been altogether missing.

Harden is starting to put it together this year though, so I reserve judgement until I see how he responds to this abysmal (though slowly improving) start. So far, PG has outplayed Harden. But there are a lot of wrinkles to that comparison, and it's not comparing apples to apples when you consider the role each player fulfills.

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

PG is my second favorite player as I have stated many times over the years. But PG is not better than harden as of now his PER is only 1 point higher than Harden and that's accounting for Hardens terrible shooting to start the season. Harden still is top 4 in Estimated wins above PG and that's right now.

Hardens season last year was better than PGs this year and harden did it through 81 games PG is on fire through the first 15 games. He's done this before, Remember 2 years ago he started out hot avg 25 ppg and a lot were saying he was better than Durant. Ultimatly he fell back to his normal shooting avg and ended the year at 21 ppg and a very generous 3rd team all NBA honor, while KD took home league MVP.

I love me some PG but there's absolutly no way he continues to shoot 45% from 3 especially with his high volume this season. I think PG has climbed into the top 10 players in the game and a Legit mvp candidate this season and he absolutly is playing better than Harden so far.

With that said Harden will dominate him and all statistical catagories by years end besides rebounding and he won't be that far off.

Harden is an amazing basketball player that a lot of ppl take for granted he's so gifted offensivly in ways only a few who have played the game have possessed ever.

Would PG have added 3 extra wins to our team this year so far? I'm actually willing to say yes but overall in the long run players like Harden through thick and thin win you games and take u to the playoffs yearly. Just put it this way Harden can go head to head with KD lebron curry and outplay them. We have seen this before, PG has never done that.

And to the guy that said PGs defense is overated? Your crazy PG is te best two way player in the game and is elite just as good as kawia defending the wing.

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

No. This place is so much more enjoyable when we are winning

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

Nice write up. I wasn't asking who the better player is though. I just think PG over Harden would make this current roster better.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Good Lord this website has some atrocious fans

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just can't think of a way to politely respond to this in detail so I'll just say no and leave it at that.

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

I used to think Paul George is overrated but him playing both sides of the ball the way he is, id have to say i'd easily take him over Harden now. I love his attitude too. Harden has bad attitude, bad work ethic and NBA burn out written all over him. I can easily see Harden disappearing from the game by 30-32 years old like the Arenas's of the world. He got his money, he good. Lifetime of strip clubs in his future no matter what. Good for him. Bad for us.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Didn't this exact thread/discussion happen before and Harden proceeded to, like many non knee jerkers expected, make all the PG backers look foolish by seasons end?

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

This is Paul George waving at his good friend after not seeing him for months. Such a great guy.

[​IMG]

15. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

A dialed-in Harden on both sides of the ball (much as he was last year) is better than Paul George. Paul George, though, is better than Harden when Harden is inconsistent about giving effort on the defensive end and less focused on hunting down the very best opportunity for his team on the offensive end.

Currently, I'd prefer George on the Rockets, because I think his game would integrate better with Lawson, Ariza and Howard. On a team with less overall talent, I might still prefer Harden.

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Yes, thought this two years ago. I had to say quiet during last season due to injury and Harden MVP'ing everybdoy, but even Harden MVP. I'd take PG.

He's not as aggressive as a scorer or playmaker, but on this team, it'd let Ty be the primary playmaker, PG the second, and our defense would just be nasty. Well, assuming we had a strategy, but given our personnel it'd be nasty. Still should be, with Harden, but there's a lot to be seen(coaching wise).

PG is also becoming more and more dominant scoring wise, I do not know why he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He is capable of guarding 1-4; perfect for Durant, Curry, etc. I really think he's got it all.

17. Swishh

Swishh Member

That's all the question is asking and some people are going crazy, lol. I agree.

18. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

This.

I laughed when I read those poll questions. In effect "get paul, great defense, great ball movement AND can shoot" or "harden" with no flowery embellishments to go with it. 3rd answer "i'm a homer for harden". 3rd answer pokes fun at anyone who answers number two.

Here's the same take as your poll OP with a different subject to demonstrate:
    Who do you VOTE for President?
    1) Politician #1 who is great, awesome, wonderful and will give you free money.
    2) Politician #2 (if so why?)
    3) Idiot who is in the bag for politician #2... (don't bother explaining why)

OP if you really don't realize this is a laughably biased poll you need to rethink your existence...

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The only time George was better than Harden was the first two months of the 13-14 season.

I'd rather get a coach who holds Harden accountable. Last year's Harden is better than George will ever be.

20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

To be honest if Lawson gets back to the way he played at Denver, i might take PG

Lawson as primary ball handler can create like we know and throw down oops to Dwight and Capela

Defense would also be greatly improved

Lawson
    Ariza
    PG
    DMo
    Dwight

Is formidable and seems to fit well