1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Covered Threes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Nov 25, 2015.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I've got no problem with shooting threes. Rockets won 2 championships shooting a sh#tload of them. But they were OPEN threes. We have 2 of the most elite drive and dish studs in Harden and Lawson, so WHY THE H*LL ARE WE SHOOTING SO MANY COVERED THREES?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!! The philosophy should be simple: don't bring anybody to help, Harden/Lawson scores. Bring somebody over, kick it out to an open 3 point shooter. Not rocket science. Same stuff as when the Rockets won the championships. Except the post was being doubled and not the driver.

2. chandlerbang21

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Have you considered why we are getting so many open threes? Opposing defenses are packing the paint to prevent drives and to take away Howard. Teams are more than willing to give us open looks as long as we continue to shoot so poorly.

Trying to drive into that much traffic is a losing proposition. There's just too much congestion. The only way to prevent teams from playing that type of defense is to start shooting at an average rate or better. If we continue to shoot sub 30 percent then we will continue to see a steady diet of this same defense.

4. oakdogg

I'm not concerned about shooting open threes. That's a good shot.

The question I'm asking is why are we shooting so many covered threes, which are bad shots.

5. oakdogg

Then, enlighten me. Either by posting a link or summarizing the conclusions.

"Old topic' is about the lamest post I can imagine.

6. aelliott

We're not shooting all that many covered 3s, about 8 per game. Most of those are when we can't drive and nobody wants to take the shot so they pass the ball instead. When the shot clock winds down then we end up having to throw up a contested 3.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We had even more open shots last year. Over 30% of our shots were open threes. 27.5% this year. And we led the league last year is contested threes, as well. This year we shoot 2% more contested threes than last year.

They aren't packing the paint to stop Howard, they are not letting Harden drive. The notion defenses are saying, make them make their threes is not really happening. We are just that good at getting open looks. Not to say it's a good strategy without premier shooters, but we have always gotten open 3s at a high clip.

I think the small increase in contested threes is due to less fastbreak opportunities we are getting, because our defense sucks. I wouldn't look much past that in analyzing these number.

But let's be clear, the type of 3s we are getting haven't changed from last year.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

9.2. And it is second in the league. Compare this to ATL, who is second in the league to us in open threes, but second to last in contested threes.

This isn't about what the defenses are doing by "packing the paint", it is lack of what we are capable of doing. Without movement or some way to get the defenses moving, we can't get the layup part of Moreyball like other teams can. We have to settle on contested threes because we fail to get the defenses moving.

#8 heypartner, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Brick Bros.

Ariza and Brewer.

10. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Team is screwed if they don't crap some kind of inside game. We used to be a threat from the three because we got some space to shoot it. But with no threat in the post defenders can stay home and cover the three. I fear this is what we are going to see unless dmo comes back and can perform down on the block

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

bev got back on the court after 2 weeks and immediately launched a contested 3....clank

pissed me off

12. aelliott

Defenses are definitely falling back into the paint, why wouldn't they? Most times Harden gets the ball up top there's two big and Harden's man between him and the basket.

If you were coaching against a team shooting sub 30 pct, what would you have your team do?

13. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Ariza is ****ing useless on offense.

14. oakdogg

If defenses are falling back into the paint, then why is that not opening up an open three? Still doesn't explain why we have so many covered threes. The only answer I see is that we are lazy.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its not covered threes, its not even threes. Its just plain shooting.

This team cannot hit a damn shot.

16. oakdogg

I agree. Nevertheless, as one would expect, the team shoots significantly worse when not open. Therefore, why are they having to chunk so many covered 3's?

17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Because they have no traditional offense...

No hi - lo post players..

No mid game...

No cutters...

Basically go to the three point line and shoot... Everyone keeps saying this is what Golden State is doing and in fact that is the opposite of what GS is doing..

The mentality of this team has to change and right now I don't see that happening..

If you keep doing what you're doing.. You'll continue to get the same results...

So simply put, the only thing that changed was the figure head.. The offense and the defense stayed the same.. And so has the results.

T_Man

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

it doesnt make any sense. they weren't lights out shooters last season but they were also no where near this crap. they get tons of wide open threes.
    dont even konw how to use lawson right.
    horribly inconsistent passing the ball to dwight

i dont want harden to go into superman mode again for rockets to win a ****in game. this is pathetic

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well he dropped 40-5-5 tonight with 3 steals, a block, shooting over 50%/ from the feild and 3pt line(5 made 3's)....and we still lost. Not even superman can save us from this atrocity of a team.

Seriously I don't care about the 8 attempts 25%, just tell me WTF is up with the OPEN shots 13 attempts with only 28%??? I mean might as well take contested shots we're hitting them with nearly the same efficiency. Good grief.

20. MistaK

MistaK Member

Why we are shooting so many covered 3s? Because pretty much everyone seems to be too scared to shoot the ball right now! They hesitate or pump-fake themselves out of an open shot more often than not!