1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny Smith:Humble Superstars Elevate 2015-16 Warriors and 1993-94 Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 25, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nside-the-mind-of-an-nba-record-breaking-team

1 person likes this.
  2. kevtse

kevtse Member

Steven Curry is humble?? Wtf

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

A lot more humble than our boy James Harden.

4. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Back in the days, defense is a difference story. You can't hand check people anymore.

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

What he did last year, all the hate he got from scrubs like Harden. What he's doing this year. Curry could easily talk sarcastic **** about Harden now, how Harden is MVP and Curry is not. But he doesn't do that. He just does his magic. Wins games.

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I thought Hakeem kept saying, give the ball to me. Kobe and MJ won many rings, they had skills and confidence and teammates who complemented them.

Kenny Smith was just lucky to be part of that team.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Now is Tinboy and/or Kenny Smith officially on the Warriors bandwagon?

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Curry and Green ain't humble......

The rest, OK.

Very hardworking, phenomenally skilled, ... But humble? We have to be realistic at some point.

9. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

I immediately thought of when James said something to the effect of, that after Dwight and himself there were nothing but role players. I can see that mentality. It's one thing to think you're the best player in the world but its another to prove it. Not only to yourself and to the fans, but to your teammates as well.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Steph isn't not humble, I'll say that. The better you are, the bigger douche you can be. He could be a much bigger douche than he currently is and he'd still have some douche to spare.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are very few major league sports stars who are as humble as Dream but reading the piece I think what Kenny is really talking about is chemistry. There have been some very successful teams with stars who were not humble. The Miami Heat 27 win streak wasn't led by humble star nor was the Bulls 72 win season. Humility by the star helps with chemistry, remember Yao was criticized for being too humble, but it's really about what the particular chemistry of the team is.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steph Curry isn't as humble as Dream, very few are, but I don't think he is a bombastic douche bag or an all about me guy like a lot of stars. I'm not a fan of his and am still smarting over last year's WCF but I don't hate him.

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

We need a good ole fashioned "Who's More Humble?" Contest...a Humblethon...a Humble-Off...a Royal Humble...

How many humbles/36 is Steph averaging? Like four? Hakeem averaged 5.5 at his peak. Remember when he and Clyde each had 10 humbles in that first round game against the Jazz? That was some good humblin'. And they did it with hand checking still in place!

1 person likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Raw humbles are worthless. You need to look at real, pace-adjusted humbles.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The Warriors act like they're God's gift to basketball when in reality every other team they play that's good has been ravaged by injuries, while they've been left untarnished. I guess after a while that's reason enough to think that you are a product of divine intervention. Nonetheless, screw 'em.

16. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I think it's some truth to this article. I think this is the reason TJ hasn't reached his potential as a player. I think this is a area(humility) were Harden could definitely grow.

1 person likes this.
  17. basketballholic

Steph is humble. Harden isn't humble. Steph gladly shares the limelight and it's all about "us". Harden doesn't share the limelight. Harden doesn't want anybody to outshine him. It's obvious by his responses to personnel changes, etc. Harden wants to win by himself and be recognized that way. And it's hurting our team. Both on-the-court and off the court in our possible player transactions.

Harden's lack of humility is the single bigggest problem on this team right now.

Instead of listening to a Navy seal try to build confidence in our players, Harden should be reading this piece an talking to Kenny about a whole list of things Kenny could tell him to do to show humility and get his teammates on board with him. Then confidence isn't an issue anymore.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Jordan didn't show humility.
    Kobe didn't show humility.
    LeBron never hesitated to say it was "my team" when he was winning in Miami.

Kenny Smith confuses humility with teamwork. There's a significant difference between the two.

19. basketballholic

True about all three guys. But they were phenomenal talents that had their Batman/Robin beside them regardless and they did win with other great players.

However......none of those 3 guys won as much as they would have had they exhibited more humility. Jordan could've won 3 more championships. Kobe's lack of humility cost him playing alongside Shaq and winning 7-8 rings. And Jordan's lack of humility drove him out of the game in the mid 90's. He could've won 9-10 rings had he had more humility. Lebron's lack of humility cost him championships because he would not defer more to Bosh in those 2 Finals losses.

20. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Toward the public he is not but towards his teammates and when he speaks about the team. It's not the team and I. It's this team(including himself).