1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Nov 14, 2015.

1. dwhite

dwhite Member

The Rockets are severely underachieving with a mega-talented roster. That is coaching and only coaching. When a ship crashes, the crew doesn't get blamed....it is clearly the captain. I actually don't mind McHale, but he is the wrong coach for this crew. They need a disciplinarian, who will scream and go after them when they let their egos get bigger than their gameplay. Calvin Murphy is that man. He may be eccentric (and have questionable background), but anyone who has listened to him announce and do halftime shows should know that he is spot on with his basketball knowledge and appears to have a great feel for knowing when this collective group of players needs a good kick in the ass!!! The Rockets have had the solution to their problems sitting on the sidelines all along and now is the perfect time to make the long overdue change.

2. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

If the rockets lose tonight they might have to try it... Make him the interim head coach and see how he does.

3. conquistador#11

you've been blinded by his suits. love me some murphy but as a head coach? drexler should do it, relive the late 90s.

4. dwhite

dwhite Member

Drexler failed miserably as the Cougars coach (and is too quiet to motivate these guys)....give Murph a chance. He could do no worse than the current situation.

5. OpenLayup-Why3?

Give me D'Anthony

6. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

After a loss Calvin is the one who is most pissed off... Give him a shot

7. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

Murphy cares more about the rockets than eshenfielder, bullard, or drexler, and les has him in a minimal role

8. OpenLayup-Why3?

If we lose by 30 I'm pretty sure it's last game for McHale

1 person likes this.
  9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Bc the man has heart...

10. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I love the Murph. Love. I would crawl over glass if it made him the announcer again.

But as coach? No -- there are just much better options.

11. OpenLayup-Why3?

Last time I was this excited to see Rockets get destroyed was in playoffs against Portland when McHale chose not to play DMo.

12. dwhite

dwhite Member

Love him as an announcer too....think about it, he has madtered whatever basketball tasks he has ever been challenged with. Why not head coaching!!!

13. OpenLayup-Why3?

Guys, lets hope we look like **** in 2nd half too. I can smell changes coming after this game!!!

14. ibm

ibm Member

you cant be more wrong.

15. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Morey Ball not working...why shoot 3's when all you need are 2's!!???

16. dwhite

dwhite Member

Are you saying this team is not talented and we have good coaching??? Tonight's game is a classic example of why McHale needs to be moved to the front office and Murphy needs to be named the new coach.

17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

And what good what that do? Murphy would last 2 months before he quit.. No good coach is going to put with being told how to run their offense...

Nothing is going to change until Morey backs away from his coaching duties..

T_Man

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

They not giving Murphy that job lol this is Houston, TX.

19. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Defense has been the worst I've seen from a Rockets team in a long time. 110 Points from a B team. I'm O.K. with the shots not falling but when the other team is getting 105+ every game, you have no chance.

Meanwhile GS is holding teams under 90 points most games but everybody is fixated on the offense of both teams.

20. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Head coach? Probably not. But as an assistant coach, wouldn't be a bad idea if they would entertain it and he would want that position. He could help the players shoot free throws better too.