1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hoops Hangout at West Oaks Mall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by skoo9382, Oct 22, 2015.

1. skoo9382

skoo9382 Member

2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Went the last time when Hakeem was there. Surprisingly the line was not long. I guess it just speaks to how infatuated this city is with the stupid texans that Hakeem couldn't even gather much of an audience. If this even was JJ Watt the there would be a parking lot full of Texans fans and probably tail gaters all the way out to Best Buy. Ok Sorry, I went off on a Rant for awhile.

It was worth the time though, got to spend time with other die hard rocket fans and free autograph shirt and cards from Calvin and Hakeem. If this even is like that it's worth it. Calvin was pretty awesome too, very polite and enthusiastic about the event.

3. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Maybe just the publicity isn't there. Found about the event here and didn't even know last year they had an event. Was at the Rockets game the other day and they had nothing. Just the Fanfest which if its anything like the past 5 years it will be a clusterfu##.

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Dwight won't be there. He is leaving town to attend the funeral of his brother. That's according to himself on periscope.

5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I don't see anything on the internet about his brother passing away

6. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Damn, didnt hear he lost his brother recently. That sucks.

7. bmd

bmd Member

I don't either but Dwight has mentioned it the past 2 days on Periscope.

8. OpenLayup-Why3?

Brother might mean a lot of things these days. Homie etc

9. bmd

bmd Member

Doubtful. Someone asked something like "how's your mom and family holding up?" and Dwight responded something like "they are doing okay".

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

They taking my boy Dmo to them Urban areas. :grin:

11. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Man I remember West Oaks Mall from when I was a kid and lived right off Hwy 6. all I recall was the arcade.....surprised that mall is still around. Brings back memories....nothing to contribute to this discussion....just sayin'

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

It has drastically changed in the last 5 years

I wonder how long the open practice/autograph session is going to last since they have this scheduled also the same afternoon......

13. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Is west oaks considered Ghetto? I still pass by it almost weekly but hardly ever go in. Last time I checked in, the mall didn't look all that bad, it was just very empty.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

It's supposed to only be for the kids. That's why it hasn't been highly publicized.

Calvin mentioned it during one of the post game shows for one of these preseason games.

If you don't have a kid with you, "you don't get ****" is how I interpreted it.

15. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Dmo for 'free mo.

16. BleedsRocketRed

Same here. Went there about 3 years ago after not going there for 10 years...My goodness it has changed. A lot of the stores that once were are long gone. That mall is a shell of its former self that's for sure.

17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Wonder what happened to Dwight's brother :(

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Back in high school (mid-90s), West Oaks Mall was the hangout. They had a Sound Warehouse music store in there, a Foot Action, and a movie theater.

Sadly, it has fallen off and in despair much like other suburban shopping malls throughout America.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm surprised they got this event at West Oaks Mall. That place is d-e-a-d, kaput. Twenty some-odd years ago it was okay and there were lots of shoppers, but business and interest has since shifted elsewhere.

Kinda like the Barnes and Noble across Westheimer, next to the Best Buy. Maybe when they took out the Starbucks they took out its life.

We do like to go to the Edwards Cinema there. Fairly new still, and if not very big, it's also not too bad. (Anyway, I ain't going to no Memorial City Cinemark.)

Just saw this after I posted. I could've written "DITTO".

20. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

I live closeby West Oaks and found it surprising they are holding the event there. The mall isn't ghetto per se, but it isn't popping like it used to. I still consider it my favorite mall because I can actually find good parking and not feel like I'm in a sardine can like at Memorial City Mall or the Gallo.