1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith Threatens Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by theoldblood, Oct 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjS70gwD850

I know many people cannot stand SAS, but for the sake of discussion what do you think about this statement?

As a journalist, credibility is everything to one's career, so I can understand why SAS is upset for being called a liar. But he didn't have to threaten Durant with that statement.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Stephen ******* Smith needs to be fired.

3. nemac

nemac Member

meh its just theater

4. TheresTheDagger

I just saw this...even watched the actual clip from SAS. I gotta tell you...he wasn't playing. At least that's not how I took it.

I think this could get his ass fired honestly. That was just stupid.

5. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

This is what I was thinking also. SAS vs KD

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd actually watch that show if he carried out his threat and started poor imitation of woj-like exposes peppered with his rage induced rants.

But shows over, move along.

7. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

So, the media is going to hate KD now?

Wait a minute ... everybody hates the Rockets. Our team doesn't get any love and respect from the media.

So, KD to H-town? :rolleyes:

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Damn, he dropped the ether.
    No way he gets fired, he defended his integrity and is way too valuable.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

they both deserve each other

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think his threat was moreso that if Durant slips up or has slipped up in the past, he will know about it. In this way he does have power.

I don't like the guy, but I do not doubt he has his contacts. People say he throws stuff at the wall but usually when comes at something it's pretty specific. Like the Doc Rivers going to the Clippers, a coach being traded. I remember people here laughed about it too. Hell, I laughed at it...

The Lebron in Miami thing IIRC no one predicted before him. He was either going to go to the Knicks to play in a big market. I remember SAS was on this too, saying that he'd go to NYK. Then suddenly he switched to Miami and people thought "Well, no way he'd go to WADE's team...right?"

Lo and behold, before the last seasosn started. SAS warned the Cavs organization that they needed to get Tristan Thompson resigned. This was right when Lebron signed back or around that time. Now here we are, Lebron has made it pretty clear what he wants the team to do. Something SAS has pretty much shouted that Lebron would leave again.

He's no Woj, obviously. Woj doesn't predict things, Woj tells you what is about to happen minutes before it is actually announced. SAS is more like a gossip guy. His comment about how he learns what he knows just by being in the arena reveals that he probably relies on gossip...and that is flimsy to go by.

This whole Durant business is silly. I don't think he needed to really defend himself so strongly and it smells off drumming up controversy. I think it's pretty clear he has contacts or sources. The Durant rumor was throwing stuff at the wall and he was called out on it. Should have just laughed it off and moved on instead of going 0 to 100 like that.

I can say it now "I have a few sources. Telling me Durant is going to go to either the Lakers, Knicks, Bulls, or Houston. Strong indications that these are the places he's considering." I mean that's easy, but the stuff he's been specific on have been right.

I don't like the dude, says dumb things and pulls the race card out every week about. He's right about ONE thing on this though. You don't want to make enemies out of the media.

Just look at the MVP race between Harden and Curry. One guy is the media darling and on court wise, he deserved to win. But listening to the media about it? Curry this, Curry that, Curry hit 70 3s at practice! Curry has a wife! CURRY HAS A DAUGHTER! STEPH CURRY! MVP! By December they were in full throttle for him.

How the media covers players is huge. Some players can put up great numbers but never be as marketable as others. A lot goes into that, and a big chunk of that is the media.

Durant and Westbrook as a duo have been pretty salty towards questions EVERY single player gets "Do you think your coach will be fired?" and "Are you planning on leaving this team?" I mean, these are pretty basic questions. Howard was asked it not too long ago. Just shrug your shoulders and say "I'm just worried about training camp/next game and move on."

3 people like this.
  11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Kevin Durant is taking reporters too seriously, but Stephen A is taking comments about reporting too seriously. Is that really worth a threat? That was too dramatic, even for Smith. This was a bad topic to pick during a slow media day.

"You're a good dude, but don't you ever f*** with me." That was some straight old school mobster s***.

Skip didn't make it any better. He made it worse. "Why bite the hand that feeds." Skip skip skip... the fans feed. You talk.

Both these guys need a producer from ESPN to put them on a leash or they will completely lose cred with the players and fans. You know, the ones that give them information so they can talk on tv. Who's feeding who, Skip?

It's a good thing that the media is bigger than two talkshow heads, right JayG?

#11 don grahamleone, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  12. OTMax

OTMax Member

I get both sides and both are taking it waaaayyy tooo seriously. SAS can act like he's a great reporter all he wants, most of the time he's talking out of his ass, showing a clear agenda and acts like he's the man. Durant is cool and all, but he needs to grow up, because the questions people ask him are indeed some they ask a lot of other guys and there's mature ways to deal with that.

13. hakeemthagreat

Stephen A is good, but not above being replaced. He thinks he untouchable. Karma seems to catch up with overly cocky ppl like him

1 person likes this.
  14. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

I really dislike how SAS and Skip try to take credit for KDs accomplishments.
    "We voted for you for MVP." "I was praising you when you were in college." "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."
    KD got MVP because he deserved MVP. KD became a superstar on hard work and talent not because you praised him in college. They both are so full of themselves. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Holy crap. 20 minutes of SAS talking about how legit he is? Prayers for all those who tried to listen to that.

16. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Media spotlight makes Stephen think he is smarter than he actually is.

17. malakas

malakas Member

He is a troll a clown and a liar. And you shouldnt watch his show because you give him power and attention. This is why the standards of sports "journalism" have fallen so low. Because we empower a$$holes and r****ds like SAS and read BSPN. We give him the power now to go and publicly make threats. This is our fault too.

2 people like this.
  18. the shark

the shark Member

Not a fan of SAS, however he had some valid points.

Calling someone a liar (especially in that industry), is a pretty big deal.

That said, I don't think ESPN Mgmt is going to be thrilled about one of their employees threatening someone on live TV. SAS also came across EXTREMELY childish stating he'll ALWAYS have the last word.

19. likestohypeguy

What was the actual threat? Or at least where does it start in the video?

1 person likes this.
  20. the shark

the shark Member

That Durant didn't want to make SAS his enemy.