1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hoops Critic Top 50 of all-time

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dream2franchise, Sep 30, 2015.

1. dream2franchise

Anyone been following this. It's been a good read, though I'm disheartened by Hakeems ranking (#12. Behind Shaq and Duncan for big man context). I had to comment of course.

Anyways, it's a good way to kill some time and not worth getting too mad over after all it's just like, their opinion man.

http://www.hoopscritic.com/category/hoopscritic-hot-50/

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

whoever marc griffin is ranked hakeem the 28th best player of all time.

well... f**k that dude

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Kobe 9th above shaq and hakeem.... terrible.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Anyone who doesn't have dream in the top 7 all time is an IDIOT

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

And Hakeem's picture is Tim Duncan. **** that. They say he may be the best 2 way player of all time and have him 12th. Ok.

Hakeem sits in a funny place in time currently, because he's not as fresh in peoples minds as Shaq and Duncan and he's not legendary/pioneer status like Russell, Chamberlain, and Jabbar. He's also a contemporary to Jordan who overshadows that era. You can make lists like this and just plop him in after those guys because nobody outside of rockets fans care.

At his prime Hakeem is as good as any player that's ever picked up a basketball. Period.

#5 BigM, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I can get on board with that. Hakeem was a monster during his peak years. Sum of all parts though - I cant really argue with anyone who thinks a Duncan or Jabbar was better. It's like picking all-time great RB's, there's so many factors to the equation.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Somewhat random, but also connected.

People/media/analysts that are all over Kawhi Leonard these days are hypocrites if they don't have Hakeem as a top 5 player all time. Hakeem may be the best all-around defensive player ever. And btw, he was good at offense, and winning.

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

It's really hard ranking the top 20 or so players. They are all so good. It's also hard to compare players that didn't play each other, or were in their prime at different times.

9. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It honestly depends on how one rates best. At his peak, Hakeem is definitely top 3 in NBA history IMO, but when are talking about accumulative body of work, players like Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, ect just have had longer careers or more sustained performance as they got older. At his peak though, there as not a better two way player than Hakeem.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That is not true. Dream was awesome for a long time. Outside of 86, he just had crappy teammates until 93. Kobe has been nothing but a chucker his whole career. He just happened to have the best front line in the NBA for most of his career.

11. what

what Member

If we we're drafting today, there is no way in hell I take Lebron over dream. Nor would I take him over duncan.

Another thing, Kareem would get owned in the league today, he guy was so slow. Dream would own lebron one on one.

There is not a center in the league that dream wouldn't own. I still take duncan over dream, because I think he was better at making his teammates better.

I'm starting to look at this like:
    1. Jordan
    2. Duncan
    3. Shaq/hakeem/wilt
    4. Bill Russell/ Kareem

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

How did Duncan make his teammates better?

13. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Stopped reading at "#12"

14. what

what Member

If you don't know, you probably wasn't old enough to watch hakeem's entire career.

also, if you don't think ducan is worthy at 2 I don't know what to tell you. The dude, in my mind, is the 2nd greatest basketball player of all time.

15. steddinotayto

Your first statement didn't answer my question.

Your second statement still didn't answer my question.

Your assumption that I don't think highly of Duncan because I simply asked how did Duncan make his teammates better is just you jumping to conclusions.

Is Duncan a better teammate than Hakeem? I'd say so.

But by what metric are you using to conclude that Duncan makes his teammates better?

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Dirk Nowitzki over David Robinson, need some explaining on that one.

Pippen is a little too high and over Patrick Ewing, D-Wade, George Gervin, Allen Iverson, Clyde Drexler, and Kevin McHale.

I don't care what anyone says I wouldn't take him over Nique, Barry, or KD. Arguably, Worthy and Pierce. I know posters disagree, because of Pippen's versatility and defense. But, I don't think a team could win a title with Pippen as their best player, even with Stockton, too.

Elvin Hayes, Walt Frazier, and Gary Payton could be higher.

I feel like Chris Webber, Alex English, and Jerry Lucas should've been somewhere on it.

17. what

what Member

There is no metric for it, except that elusive one called eye test. I watched hakeem for years take 3 on 1, 4 on 1 matchups, he took some shots that no basketball player should ever take.

When's the last time you seen an center shoot an 18 foot off ballance fadeaway jumper going out of bounds? Very rarely because that player would get benched quick.

Hakeem used to do this 5 or 6 times a game.

And then you have to look at him and sampson.

Anyway, duncan is (in my mind) the second greatest basketball player ever.

18. steddinotayto

I forgot you're the guy that predicted Rudy Gay's ascension into the NBA elite, sitting right next to Kevin Durant. That being said, I apologize for wasting everyone's time asking you to explain your posts within this thread.

19. what

what Member

lol, once i start bringing up facts you resort to this. That's fine.

20. steddinotayto

what facts are you talking about amigo? lol you said it yourself that there's no metric to back up your assertion that Duncan makes his teammates better.

lol you've had every chance within your responses to tell me how he made Parker better, Manu better, Leonard better, Diaw better, Danny Green better, Stephen Jackson better, Vinny Del Negro better, etc. but you have yet to do so.