1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Old Are You? When Did You Start Watching Baseball?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Buck Turgidson, Sep 1, 2015.

?

2 Only, Choose Wisely

1. 6 to 12 years old

20.0%
  2. 13-21 yo

8.2%
  3. 22-35 yo

47.1%
  4. 36-50

25.9%
  5. 51-oldman

5.9%
  6. Baseball fan since Tball

60.0%
  7. Became Astros fan when they got good

1.2%
  8. Astros fan in 2004/5

7.1%
  9. New Astros Fan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I am bobrek

2.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Buck Turgidson

Answer 2 only, please.

2. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Just saw poll... delete

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Misinterpreted that poll

4. right1

right1 Member

Since birth! Watched my first game in the Dome at a few months old. By the time organized tball started, I already hated the Phillies, Dodgers, Giants, Reds, Braves and Pirates. Saw Nolan's #5 no hitter on Sept 26, 1981at age 6.

5. baubo

baubo Member

I only answered one, 6-12 years old. I don't remember the exact year but they were on channel 20 and I remember the pitching staff had Reynolds and Kile. Because my family didn't care about baseball, I basically learned the game by watching. At first I think mainly afternoon games when they pre-empted my cartoons or whatever sitcom rerun was on TV. It was a gradual process so I'm not sure when I actually became a fan of the game rather than just waiting for it to end so my favorite tv shows would get back on.

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

How did you watch Reynolds and Kile pitch if you are 6-12 years old? :confused:

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

57 years old. Watched baseball when Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek did the national game on Saturday mornings. Sat there in the living room with my mitt on, just in case (you never know when someone fouled one back and through the TV screen. I lived in the SF Bay Area back then so, so followed the Giants and watched Mays and McCovey, Bobby Bonds, Ken Henderson, the Alou brothers, Marichal and Perry, Hal Lanier and later Tito Fuentes and Dirty Al. Collected cards and kept every team in a binder. Ran away from home when my parents accidentally threw away the binders.

Played Mel Allen's baseball game. Baseball was different back then. Knew every player of every team. But have to admit... this year's Astros team is closer than any team to being like those teams of the 60's and 70's.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

He misunderstood the question.

He started watching age 6-12, not his current age is 6-12.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

28 now, started watching in 94 when I was 7. Watched the Rockets first, I figured if I enjoyed one sport, I might enjoy another one.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I've seen games at Colt stadium.

11. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I am 39 years old.
    I have watched them for as long as I can remember.
    I remember collecting 1981 Donruss baseball cards, and the Astros were my favorites at the time, so I go at least that far back.
    I remember watching a late game, at my aunt's house, and Kiko Garcia was manning short for us.
    He played for us in 1981 and 1982 according to the Internet.
    I also remember being at a game in the Astrodome, and everyone remembers the Jose Cruz introduction, but another stands out as well. Tony Scott.
    The announcer would say Tony "Great" Scott.
    Scott was there from 81-84 it appears, so tough to say which year it was that I remember the introduction from.
    I also remember leaving a game with my dad driving, and us getting in a wreck turning from the Astrodome parking lot probably onto Fannin I would guess. That was probably 1980 or 1981 also.

12. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

since 2001. I was 10 at the time.

played little league around that time as well and fell in love with the sport.

how many black people can say that? lol

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

44, been a fan since the late 70's.

My Dad was/is a huge sports fan, so I was literally born and raised an Astros fan. Astro games at the Dome were a BIG part of my childhood.

I was an Astros Buddy when I was a kid and I have pictures of me sitting with several no-name players in the rainbow uniforms back when they would come pose for pictures in the stands before the games.

14. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

38 years old

Started following the Astros when I moved back to the states from Germany (I'm an Army brat) in '86 (9 years old). I lived in El Paso and wanted a Texas team to root for. Luckily for me the Astros were better than the Rangers, so I chose them to follow and have stuck with them through thick and thin ever since.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Colt Stadium was hot. We would go to games every year starting in 1962 when I was 4 1/2, so my love of baseball started by watching as opposed to playing. My mother used to be a secretary in the DAs office (Frank Briscoe) and she would occasionally get some free tickets. The best was when we sat in an enclosed area of Colt stadium and they had an included buffet.

We were at the 24 inning 1-0 game in 1968. I have had tickets in my hand to a number of no-hitters yet was either unable to go (out of town during Scott's), chose a late season Rockets game over an early season Astros game (Ken Forsch) or went to the movies (Larry Dierker).

I got a foul ball when I was around 10 and my brother got one when I was around 11. Original Astros buddy with Larry Dierker and I met Norm Miller at Glen Rose Baptist church. Two guys attempted to steal our Firebird during the Astros-Mets playoff series. The crack Astrodome security detail prevented the theft and moved the car up near the ticket booths since the thieves had broken through the steering column. Unfortunately, they did not catch them.

A few years ago the Astros used to unite with Tommy Bahama and sponsor a golf tournament. We were privileged to play with Larry Dierker and the following year we played with Carl Warwick.

1 person likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Since early to mid-80's. 86 was the clincher for me. I was starting to play baseball well, and ultimately the Astros series vs. the Mets had me all in from that point forward.

17. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Didnt even notice the "when the Astros got good" choice. Should have answered that lol. but Im 24 and started watching since Biggiom Bagwell, Bell, Wagner.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Proud to say I stuck around the bad times too. ^.^

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I went to game four of the Phillies series; IIRC, the game that featured the controversial Jeff Leonard non-catch. I remember a long delay... did they review it? It's funny; I've almost never gone back to revisit that series.

Here's what I distinctly remember (I was 9): 1) it was loud - and I was a veteran of the Luv Ya Blue Oilers, fortunate enough to have family tickets - so I knew loud; 2) my uncle unexpectedly lifting me over his head, celebrating something, that nearly gave me a heart attack; 3) the entire crowd, filing out of the Dome after a tough loss, spontaneously breaking into a loud-as-**** "Houston! Astros!" chant. Oh, also, my (likely) drunk uncle (again, I was 9) peeing in the parking lot. I thought he was the coolest man alive.

Oh, and did I mention I wrote all the copy for MMP's Home Run Alley?... Yeah, well - I did.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Fixin to turn 40 this weekend. Started going to and watching some games when we moved here in 1980 but I was still pretty young. The 86 season is what made me the fan I am today.