1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roster Cuts

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rosters must be trimmed to 75 by 3pm(CT) Tuesday and 53 by 3pm Saturday. Practice Squads can be assembled Sunday at noon.

WR Alan Bonner
    WR Jace Davis
    WR Travis Labhart
    OT Aaron Adams
    OT Bryan Witzman
    G Cody White
    DE Cameron McLeod
    DT Chris Neild
    LB Jason Ankrah
    LB Jeff Tarpinian
    P Will Johnson

LB Reshard Cliett placed on IR.
    S Terrence Parks placed on IR. Could be released with injury settlement.
    TE Anthony Denham placed on IR. Could be released with injury settlement.
    G/T David Quessenberry placed on NFI list.

#1 J.R., Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

So you have 53 on the roster and then 10 on the practice squad? Or can you have more people on the practice squad.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans cut wide receiver Jace Davis, defensive lineman Chris Neild <a href="http://t.co/rK32UXD8a5">http://t.co/rK32UXD8a5</a></p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/638393569221349376">August 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Correct. 53 + 10 man practice squad.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Alan Bonner is gone, looks like Strong and either Worthy or EZ will be staying.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> cut OLB Jason Ankrah, WR Jace Davis, NT Chris Neild, DE Cam McLeod, WR Travis Labhart, OT Bryan Witzman, NT Cody White (more)</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/638408853478993920">August 31, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Travis Labhart is gone too, WR picture looks clear now.

Keyshawn probably staying too.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Um...Bonner and Labhart were never contenders to make the team.

Hopkins
    Washington
    Shorts
    Strong

those 4 are absolute iron clad locks

They only carried 5 last year, so if they are doing that again then the 5th spot is between Mumph, Keyshawn, EZ, Worthy and Damaris Johnson.

My guess is that they end up taking 6, keeping Mumph and then either keeping Worthy or EZ.

I don't think Keyshawn makes the team.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'm sure Mumphrey is on the team. The question is if they will carry 6 or not and who that 6th would be.

10. justtxyank

Keep in mind that extra spots at WR and DB will be tough again this year because the Texans will likely be carrying 4 RBS to start the season thanks to the injury to Arian.

QB: 3
    HB: 4
    FB: 1
    TE: 3
    WR: 5
    OL: 8
    DL: 6
    OLB: 4
    ILB: 5
    CB: 6
    S: 5
    ST: 3 (K, P, LS)

That is what they went with last year. It's hard to squeeze an extra receiver or DB onto that roster honestly. That's why they are so big on "multiple." If they thought Charles James could really play RB, perhaps they could cut from 4 to 3 which would buy them an extra roster spot somewhere.

11. justtxyank

I am too, but the point is that if they are only taking 5, there's no way for them to keep Mumph AND a guy like Keyshawn, Worth, Damaris Johnson, etc.

I don't see Keyshawn as likely to make the team AT ALL.

12. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'd keep Hopkins, Shorts, Washington, Strong, Mumphrey, EZ

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Keyshawn shouldn't make the team. He's been the same player since he was drafted. Average receiver across the board that has never improved. Time to move on.

1 person likes this.
  14. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Get out of my head. That was spot on.

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yup Keyshawn hasn't even been returning kicks so I don't see him making the team. Mumph is def making the roster to me. Worthy may have a chance since he is a decent returner. It's all about what you can do on special teams when you're that far down the depth chart

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think Damaris Johnson is a better fit on this team than EZ. But it looks like the coaching staff likes EZ better.

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Jason Ankrah is a surprise cut at this point. I thought that he would make it to the next cut with a reasonable shot at making the 53 man roster.

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Nobody is a lock except Hopkins.

This group of WR is probably the weakest this franchise had after drafting AJ.

Washington is an over the hill backup/2nd or 3rd option, and Shorts is young but yet another backup type player.

Rest of the guys basically never or seldom played in this league before.

Yes Keyshawn sucks too but at least he got more snaps probably than all the other guys in the bubbles combined, that could be a factor to be considered.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

He had the one sack in game one of this preseason but hasn't done much since then.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Good news: Chris Nield's release confirms the good things we have been hearing and seeing out of Louis Nix III in his 3rd year.