1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KJ Mcdaniels must repay the faith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aussie rocket, Aug 29, 2015.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Big money for an unproven player. Obviously can provide great D and can jump out of the gym. Hasn't shown he can shoot at all yet.

Given that we already have an athletic wing in Brewer, it makes it hard to see that, barring injuries, KJ could get enough minutes to justify the dollars.

Hope it works out, and he has more nuances to his offensive game. He needs to show something to repay the faith. No Hayes or even Harrell yet thanks to his deal.

To me, the KJ deal is the most questionable move of the off season by far.

2. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

He must show up and play basketball. If he slacks, he will be punched in the balls with words. If he doesn't pay out, he's either what we thought he was, or a dude hoping he did well in his free college.

3. jacoby

jacoby Member

I don't think it's questionable. We have a serviceable, young defensive wing player on a multi-year worth $3m per with a rising cap. His contract is easily movable if necessary.

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Is the contract that easily moveable though?

It's fully guaranteed for the life of it. Can't imagine a lot of teams would be lining up to sign a guy that hasn't repaid our faith- so much so in fact that we have put him on the block.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

He's young and has potential. A rebuilding team's GM would tell themselves, "Sure, he couldn't get playing time in Houston but they're loaded and trying to win now! They don't have time to develop him like we do!"

He'll be easily moved if necessary for sure.

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if he pans out its a steal. if not he can be traded easy for a pick and expirings

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Next season the cap will jump by ~$20m and nearly $35m more the following two seasons.
    That $3m per contract will present big value when compared to the same type of player after the cap increase. Throw in his athleticism & potential for improvement and you could have a Jimmy Butler type player locked in for three years for chump change.

Even if he ends up being a one way player , his $3m per is cheaper after the cap increase than what you could replace him for beyond this offseason.

KJ's deal was a gamble worth taking.

1 person likes this.
  8. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Yes..

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Did you see the money Charlotte shelled out to Kidd-Gilchrist? 3M for upside and a 1 way D player is a bargain after that contract.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This was a deal for the future not the present. Can't be so narrow-minded.

He's got potential and if he works hard can become a real force on the wing, his jumpshot isn't broken like Michael Kidd - Gilchrist's.

Also, we don't really NEED Hayes, who'd be more of a veteran presence than a mass contributor on a nightly basis. Sad to say this isn't the same Chuckwagon from the Yao-Mcgrady age.

I'm confident a deal with Montrezl will get done in the near future. Don't fret my friend.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Ha, didn't even see this... comparison is spot on.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Incorrect. The third year is a TEAM OPTION. If K.J. turns out to be a dud (and isn't moved before then), it'll end up being a two-year, $6.5 million deal.

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Sounds good boys, thanks for the knowledge.

He is an intriguing talent for sure. Hope he can remain patient and be
    ready when called upon as McHale isn't going to chuck him out there and let
    him play big minutes. He's going to have to be great in limited opportunities.

14. OpenLayup-Why3?

must be short memory, but it seems like I get more and more excited prior to every season. don't think I was ever waiting for season to start as badly as I am now.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I want to see KJ McDaniels put it together just from a fan perspective. Insane athleticism is always fun to see. Could be a rich man's Gerald Green this season if he works for his shot.

16. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I'd think ceiling is Iguadala

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can someone state what the contract was, for KJ? I'm having trouble finding it on CF.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

smith can be thrown around here hypothetically also, if he got KJ money he probably would still be here

19. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I only excluded Smith because he is dead to me.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The KJ McDaniels contract: 3 years, $10 million. Team option on Year 3.

2015-16: $3.19 million
    2016-17: $3.33 million
    2017-18: $3.48 million (TO)