1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Discussion: possible deepest roster ever

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PJ86, Aug 20, 2015.

1. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Looking at how loaded we are at every position, I can't remember a better and deeper roster with possible players to get minutes ever on paper. I've gone back to the 80-81 team and these are 5 I think could compete with 15-16 opening roster:

*85-86 (opening)
    Lucas / Leavell
    Lloyd / Wiggins
    McCray / Reid
    Sampson / Petersen
    Olajuwon

* 93-94 (play-offs)
    Kenny / Sam / Brooks
    Maxwell / Elie
    Horry / Jent
    Thorpe / Herrera / Bullard
    Olajuwon / Cureton

* 96-97 (play-offs)
    Maloney / Livingston
    Drexler / Threatt
    Elie / Eddie Johnson
    Barkley / Willis / Othella
    Olajuwon

*08-09 (opening)
    Rafer / AB / Head
    T-Mac / Wafer / Barry
    Artest / Battier
    Scola / Landry / Hayes
    Yao / Mutombo

*08-09 (play-offs)
    AB / Lowry
    Artest / Barry / Wafer
    Battier
    Scola / Landry / Hayes
    Yao / Mutombo

*15-16 (opening)
    Beverley / Lawson / Terry
    Harden / Thorton / McDaniels
    Ariza / Brewer
    TJ / D-Mo / Hayes
    Howard / Capela

Of course, it still depends on how A) Lawson is going to be B) Thorton and or McDaniels will handle their minutes C) how healthy D-Mo is and D) how Capela progresses, but damn on paper, we're deep!

How do you think we stack up against these and maybe other Rockets teams and could this be the deepest Rockets team ever?

2. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

That 08' Roster....

Would have been our year if Yao didn't get injured. For sure.

3. OpenLayup-Why3?

We are overrating our second unit a lot.

4. PJ86

PJ86 Member

I meant better as in potential because we have so many guys who could get minutes, just to clarify ;) Obviously talent wise you cannot do much better than 85-86, 93-94 and 08-09. 85-86 was not that deep but I think I got confused myself what I was arguing.

Just couldn't leave them out, because there was no denying that talent and outside of C position, you could switch the 4 positions and have a starting team in 85-86 so guess they do make sense.

5. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I disagree completely. I much prefer to have solid role players that you can build a system around than washed up starters on their last contract.

6. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

No doubt in my mind we would of won it if it wasn't for Yao Ming's injury.

7. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

The second unit is a starting caliber team in this league bruh

8. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I was totally loving that 2009 roster, especially when we got Lowry, Wafer looked like a good back up shooting guard and there was still a hope that TMac was coming back.

That team was the deepest roster I have ever seen. When we got Artest that offseason, I knew we where building a team to match up with the champion Celtics. Just totally love that roster.

This year's roster has the chance to surpass the 2009 roster. On paper, I would say the new team has more talent and depth but we will see if they have the same fundentals or team first attitude that the 2009 team was loved for.

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

I still don't get why everyone overhypes the 08 roster, I was there..... A much younger version of me but I was there.... I never felt like it was a championship team, Kobe was better than T-Mac and there were great teams in that time... Sacramento, Lakers, Dallas, Phoenix, Spurs..... All those teams were crazy talented. I just don't remember feeling as confident with that 08 squad as I feel with Harden and Howard. Oh yeah and this team made the semi finals.... There really is no discussion, the current Rockets team is the absolute best team after the championship years...

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Bev
    Thornton
    Brewer
    TJones
    Capela

??

They would easily be the worst team in the league.

11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Eff 2008 :(((((

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Trevor going off in game 7 smdh :(

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

seems about on par with the bottom 2-3 teams in the east.

14. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Philly says hi.

15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Everything hinges on Capela. If he can prove himself to be a very good defensive player (at the very least Larry Sanders-lite, which is a very realistic target for him), then I don't see this team being any worse than the starting line ups of Sixers, Celtics, Nuggets or Lakers.

The lineup would struggle scoring a lot, but defensively it's pretty solid.

16. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

We pushed Lakers to seven games with a limping Yao and a Artest who shoot too many shots while only hitting a few of them. The refs were on Lakers' side as always. That team was truly special and full of hearts.

Remember that AB's incredible performance and buzzer-beater at the end of third quarter at our home court while blowing the Lakers out? Remember Yao insisted to come back from injury and hit a shot after? Remember Battier with full of bloods on his face while yelling "it's alright"? Remember Scola schooled entire Lakers front court in Game 6? Did I mention Landry's dunk on Odom?

I will forever remember that series and and that team, and will always wonder what could have been if...

Don't even mention T-Mac though, he was a non-factor and distraction that year.

1 person likes this.
  17. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Sorry... But I am not yet convinced with our PF situation...

Just not feeling comfortable with the personnel we have.

T_Man

18. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

But could very well be starters, nonetheless. Nobody ever said they'd wreck shop lol :p

If you replace Bev with Ty (Using Ty as a 6th man), they definitely wouldn't be the worst.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't like to evaluate depth so much vs your top 8 players

Probably only Harden starts on both the '86 and '94 team.

20. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Why do people think Lawson who is a top 10 PG in his prime is coming off the bench?