1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What happened to Tyreke Evans?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Harden2Capela, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

2. i3artow i3aller

Lacks a jumper especially from 3 pt range. Aside from that he's a fairly well rounded player.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He was a selfish boneheaded chucker his rookie season.

He was better under control last season.

#3 Zboy, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's still very solid. It's not like he fell off the map. Definitely would not call him "wasted talent", which is what Royce White is.

5. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

i think hes a wasted talent, because he has the ability to be on hardens level a least, now he comes off the bench i think or is that eric gordon im thinking about

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nothing really. He's a solid player mostly. I mean he could have been more considering his athletic ability but meh, he still plays starting minutes on a western playoff team and should the Pelicans part ways with him I doubt he'd be out of the NBA.

I guess you can say that he's the most disappointing ROY since Emeka Okafor.

7. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

He's still a good player. He never blew up into that superstar people expected him to be after his rookie season, but to be fair he was never expected to become a superstar when he got drafted.

Bad playoff series, but he still played every well throughout the season. I feel like he can still be a 15-5-5 guy for a couple more seasons. He belongs in the NBA if he figures out his role on any team he's on. Definitely.

8. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

You forget about Michael Carter-Williams? MCW is god awful

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I didn't, but I'm giving the guy a little more time I guess to be fair.

10. JazzLakerHater

He actually had a pretty good year last year. Wasted talent is a pretty harsh term. But it is funny to see in a draft that contained James Harden, Blake Griffin, and Steph Curry, it was Tyreke Evans that won Rookie of the Year lol.

11. JazzLakerHater

He actually had a pretty good year last year, wasted talent is a harsh term. But it is funny looking back and see that Tyreke Evans won Rookie of the Year from a draft class that contained James Harden, Blake Griffin, and Steph Curry lol.

12. Clutchster

Clutchster Member

I thought he was going to be the next DWade. I guess injuries have limited him.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

It was the Kings shameless excessive hype machine that way oversold his ability his rookie season. The Maloof brothers were trying to generate hope and excitement - and prospective buyers for the team.

They kept putting out stats like "Only rookie since [legendary player / Lebron] to have [per game avgs]". Making like he was next big thing. It was unneeded expectation put on him. I dont put much blame on Tyreke on that.

Enough people saw he was more a Steve Francis than a future Hall of Famer.

*ADDED: Blake Griffin missed the entire '10 season cuz of injury. He retained rookie eligiblity and won ROTY in '11

14. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Still lack a steady jumper.

15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

It is a bit weird how everyone's career you mentioned went:

Harden would not be the player he is today if he was still the number 3 option in OKC. (not enough possessions to go around)

Blake Griffin should have won ROTY but he missed his entire rookie season (went on to win the next ROTY, as another poster just mentioned).

Steph Curry was playing as the third option to the more established Monta Ellis and Corey Maggette. (again not enough possessions to go around)

Evans to be is similar to MCW, he can put up good numbers on a bad team.. but it remains to be seen if he can still be an effective player on a good team. It's a shame Jrue, Gordon, Evans, Davis and Anderson can't stay healthy or else that would be a pretty interesting young team to follow.

16. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Tyreke is not good enough at running a team to be a starting PG, not good enough a shooter to be a starting SG, and not tall enough to be a starting SF.

But he can play all 3 positions adequately well.

Ideal back-up that can cover multiple positions.

But at what price?

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He put up empty stats his rookie year, so I would say nothing has happened to him. This is who he is and who he's always been.

18. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

This. Like so many players, he should devote 80% of his practice time to becoming at least a league average 3pt shooter. If he were to do that he would suddenly be extremely valuable, since his other offensive skills are already good.

19. basketballholic

From his first game in the association he has always eaten up way too many possessions for his efficiency. He's essentially a dribble-drive stop-and-pop jump shooter. And he's terrible at it. He was pumped and pumped as rookie of the year and won it. But he shouldn't have. He's always been overrated and always will be. Not a good worker. Bad attitude. Off-the-court antics. Combine all that with crappy efficiency from a guy that has to have the ball to go to work and you have a total dump of a player. Nothing has changed with him. He's garbage and always has been.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Evans was a manufactured ROTY. The Kings basically said, "He's the ball and do whatever you want no matter how it effects the team".