1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Online Picture Storage

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bnb, Aug 2, 2015.

1. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Hi all. I'm looking to backup about 300-500GB of pictures.

Ideally something easy to use. Tried Flickr pro a while back and wasn't too impressed but I'm willing to retry. Looking to Dropbox too at $10/mo for 1T.

I'm looking for paid, but reasonable options. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks...

2. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I'm interested in hearing what other's are doing as well.

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Do you have an Amazon prime account?

They claim "unlimited" photo storage. Not sure if there's a certain threshold for that.

4. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I use Google Photos. If you want to store at full resolution, it uses Google Drive space. I forget how much you get for free. If you use their "high quality" setting, you get unlimited storage. Pictures taken on any Android device are automatically backed up as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

dick shot much?

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Google Photos is the way to go

you can store unlimited pics up to 16MP along with 1080p vidoes for free

if you want to store them at higher quality, then it will count towards your Google Drive account, which starts at $2/month for 100GB

I've been mainly using them since Google+ to automatically backup my cell pics, and now use them to save my other pictures since I owned a digital camera back in 2000

1 person likes this.
  7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Google photos can't be beat, it's free and unlimited 'high quality' basicially covers most pics/videos people are taking unless you're doing 4k.

The problem for me is browsing and trying to find photos. It's not easy to organize, and you have to keep scrolling through thumbnails to find things which can take a long time when your collection gets larger. I hope they improve that front then it will be perfect. As far as just having a repository to dump stuff for backup, it will work.

8. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I think that's kind of on the user to create Collections(albums) and maintain one's photos. By default, everything is sorted by date. If you create events, photos taken during that event are automatically in a collection. Stories are also another collection type.

I believe it might also take location into account when you search. Tagging faces also helps.

They have an "assistant" though I'm not too sure how it works or what it does exactly.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I have 10.3 TB of storage on my OneDrive because I pay for office 365. It's $79.99 a year.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I have my pics organized by event, and then by year so it's not that complex of a hierarchy. I wish I could upload it directly like that.

I made collections for a few hours and probably got through 15% of my library. I haven't pushed myself to upload the rest yet because you kind of have to hand hold the process and it obviously takes awhile. I doubt it will happen, but I wish you could just use the Picasa app and have Photos mirror that..

1 person likes this.
  11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

thanks all. I was all set to go with dropbox, but I may go for google photos.

I'm not really into the bells a whistles....just an online substitute for an infrequently updated external hard drive system I used to use.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Anybody know much about on the line picture storage?

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

depends on how much storage you need but it's generally $2/100 gb.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Clicked on this thread thinking it was some startup company dedicated to storing their customer's pictures online. xD

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I love Google Photos. The little movies and animations it creates are often really awesome.

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Google's search feature is pretty cool. You can search for pictures of "cake", "Las Vegas" as well as search by person with pretty good face matching.