1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Baby Beard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by csc177, Jul 29, 2015.

1. csc177

csc177 Member

Here's a throwback of our MVP, the beard himself, James Harden. What stood out to me most in this video is James playing off the ball (as a true shooting guard). It was interesting to see James running off screens, taking spot up threes and cutting to the basket. I hope this is what we see next season with Ty Lawson running the point. In this video, James shows how effective he can be playing as a true shooting guard. I actually think this style of play would make James even more special for us, especially at the end of games. ]

What do you guys think?

http://youtu.be/oeYGxsSkBfA

(Can someone embed this video?)

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's probably a 45% spot up 3pt shooter

3. Omer

Omer Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oeYGxsSkBfA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

"Scores a lot of points, but doesn't shoot very much."

"Harden steps in and... is fouled."

Pretty much sums up his entire game.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't need to see this video to know that James getting an off ball down screen from Dwight with Lawson choosing between Dwight rolling for an alley oop, Harden with space off of a screen, or taking his own man to the hoop is going to be hell on opposing defenses.

One other thing to note here - Lawson is a top 20 guy at getting to the line too meaning teams are going to get waaaayyyy into the penalty early and often. That could equate to a few extra free throw shots a game which if James or Lawson is taking them, could be a nice boost to their point differential.

6. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

loved that video,throughout that video i just imagined harden playing off-the-ball with lawson running point for us. Harden playing off-the-ball more would increase his fg percentage and add about 3 more points to his scoring average..

what a talent

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Who is that guy? All I saw was some random dude with a small beard.

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

It cannot be denied that Harden will do well in any role. But will his impact be maximize with Lawson having the ball more?

Even with Westbrick and Durant, Harden is the main ball handler whenever he is on court.

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Harden did well with Team USA. He will thrive with a good point guard

10. cbk41

cbk41 Member

He's dominated the ball out of necessity whenever he's been in a Rockets uniform. There's not as much necessity now.

11. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Thxs for the video, nice find. He still plays a very similar game. I keep expecting him to throw his hands up showing everyone he's still cookin.

12. val_modus

val_modus Member

Not sure about that one... He got a lot of ball handling duties with Westbrook on the bench, but Durant and Westbrook were still top dogs. He did have that playoff series against the defending champ Mavs where he was just in the zone, and so OKC wisely (not often you can say that about OKC) just kept feeding him the offensive duties.

As for this video... Looks like he's lost a step since then.. Micro??

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Try to grow a full beard when you are 17 or 18..... :p

14. nemac

nemac Member

Don't think he has lost a step. He is just using his energy more effectively. Even when he got to the Rockets 3yrs ago (has it already been 3 years!?) he was balls to the wall which seemed unsustainable so had to adjust to top dog minutes and usage.

15. csc177

csc177 Member

I think playing off the ball will make James' impact on the game come easier. We all know he can score at will, but not having to pound the rock and essentially "do everything" will be better for the team.
    I still think James breaks down at the end of the season. We've seen it the last two years in the playoffs. He's inconsistent and flat out tired. Yeah he'll have a breakout game here and there but he doesn't consistently play good basketball in the playoffs. With a true point guard/ playmaker that will change. Conserved energy for The a Beard just might bring back a ring to Houston.

16. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I did

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

In the halfcourt set I still see Harden dominating the ball. It's 1st and secondary break where Lawson will shine. And the Harden I remember in college used to post up deep and go to work. He reminded me of an old man scoring off wisdom and footwork from the post at a dusty rec center.

18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

In 2014, I don't remember Harden playing off ball that much. I remember Harden was the primary ball handler and the only guy who could create a shot for his unit out there. Guys like AD and Farried benefited from it especially. Just an observation really...

19. gogispade

gogispade Member

20. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

well the starters were Kyrie, Steph, James, Faried, and Davis. Even in that lineup James was asked to create pretty often because he is a top 5 most dangerous player in the pick n roll. Steph obviously helped in creating offense and Kyrie could get his shot anytime.