1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could this be a 2 for 1 deal in acquiring Lawson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by loveofthegame44, Jul 20, 2015.

1. loveofthegame44

I think it is very possible with getting Ty Lawson, we could possibly be getting back the tenacious Patrick Beverly of 2 years ago. 1 1/2 years after his meniscus tear and going back to a 20 min full out mr94feet, could be a huge boost for our squad. Do you guys think P. Bev can regain that form again or is it just wishful thinking on my part? I didn't think he played with the same nastiness last year cause he was to important to be in foul trouble.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This is definitely a great aspect of the trade. And not just Beverly but also limit the minutes for James Harden. James could spend a few extra minutes on the bench during games since we have a legit playmaker on the team. And Pats ideal minutes are 25 or less IMO.

Excellent point.

3. alethios

alethios Member

I see both Lawson and Bev spending time on the court together in spurts, either to spell Harden or go with a speedy, small ball line-up.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Beverly should be capped at 20 minutes/game

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

We have a deep roster, I'm actually very happy and excited for this team!

Lawson/Bev
    Harden/Thornton
    Ariza/Brewer/KJ/Dekker
    DMo/Jones/Harrell
    Dwight/Capela

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Great point, and PB is at his best when pushed by another pg. He was a beast when he was fighting for Jeremy Lin's job.

7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I am pretty confident Bev was hampered most of the season with a hamstring injury. McHale alluded to this in his interview in Summer League. I really think he was hobbled which is why his defense tailed off. Hopefully he is back full strength and can be that tenacious defender that provides a spark. If he can play like he did in 2013-2014 for 20-25 minutes he is exactly who we need on this team and a perfect compliment to Lawson and Harden. As we have all mentioned it may make more sense to start Bev and have Lawson come off the bench. I think either way Bev needs play 20-25 minutes tops. Lawson and Bev could be decent together as well in spurts.

8. loveofthegame44

Yes I want that Draymon Green piss everyone off mr94feet back! That is his value in this league. I just hope battling through that meniscus tear didn't limit his athleticism.

9. loveofthegame44

Good point I forgot about his hammy.

10. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

You are forgetting Jason Terry.

11. LandryMegaBeast

absolutely. this is gunna help beverley a lot because he is an energy guy. playing 30+ at 200 mph will never be sustainble and may have been the reason for his injury. cut that down to around 20 and he can be good ole wolverine again

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lawson helps this team in multiple ways.

One as you stated, Beverley. Bev can now go back to his bench role of playing 20mpg to which allows him sustain his hustle and 110% effort style of play. Bev wll have a lot more energy when he's out there, his defense should look a lot better.

2nd, resting Harden. Harden was obviously flat out bad on defense at times because he had to create every little thing on offene for this team for nearly 40 minutes a game. Now with Lawson, Harden can rest more, hopefully we can get his minutes under 35, Lawson can create not only when Harden's on the bench but when Harden is on the floor to allowing Harden to focus more on his defensive effort.

3rd, passing. His passing will really help everybody, all of our bigs, all of our shooters, and hopefully we can get Harden to start runnng some off ball plays. Howard will love having a PG that can actually get him the ball under the hoop, Dmo and Jones will get a lot of PnR buckets, Ariza, Thornton, Dmo will get more open looks to shoot, and Brewer, Jones, Harden, Howard etc will all look even more lethal on the fast break.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Our PG position went from bare cupboard last season to a position of strength, the average age just dropped by a decade. No offense to Terry and Prigs, who both did a great job in the playoffs, but neither should have logged big minutes. Quality depth means less wear and tear on everyone throughout the season.

14. beardnation

beardnation Member

there will be no more double teaming harden to get the ball out of his hands. Double and you leave Ty open to create. Legit threat for the backcourt.

15. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Don't forget KJ either. I really think McHale will find a way to get him in the rotation if he proves more valuable than Thornton. I guess it depends on how much he has improved. I like the depth chart someone posted above but can easily see the depth chart below developing so Lawson can roll off the bench with strong finishers and young legs. I think there will be a battle between Thornton and McDaniels to see who will be Harden's backup. We will see if shooting (Thornton) or defense/athleticism(McDaniels) will win out.

I think we are so much more versatile now and have created some healthy competition for rotation minutes which should push everyone. I think KJ will do everything he can to earn minutes from McHale but Thornton may be the crafty scorer/shooter we need and hopefully he is ready to earn a spot in the rotation so they can drive each other.

Also, not to mention Bev and Lawson may play a little together and we have so many 2nd string combos we can run at teams that it makes us as versatile and deep as GSW. I can't wait to see how it shakes out.

Having Lawson running the break with McDaniels, Brewer, Jones, and Capella or DMo would be sick. Lacking shooters but the ability to get to the rim is unmatched with this lineup.

Beverley/Lawson/Terry
    Harden/McDaniels/Thornton
    Ariza/Brewer/Dekker
    DMo/Jones/Harrell
    Dwight/Capella/Williams or Hayes?

16. jayfree

jayfree Member

I want Beverley to keep his minutes low during the regular season so we can have him go ape sh*& against PGs in the post season.

17. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

He still potentially has to deal with the meniscus tear since he didn't have surgery on it. My impression was that the doctors strongly wanted him to have surgery and he opted not to but I guess that stubborn attitude is want makes him a great defender. McHale has plenty of depth that he should be able to keep the minutes low on everybody....I'm looking at you Ariza and Harden.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If you're looking at this deal that way then it's 3-for-1 because Beverley is going to make Lawson better too. Unless they have him jacking 7+ 3's a game Lawson's efficiency should improve.