1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What should we expect from our young guys?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aggie 99, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

The Vets push this team forward, but the Rox have a lot of young "exciting" talent that should be pushing for minutes. What should we expect out of:

1) Nick Johnson - he seems like the NBA version of a AAAA MLB player. Doesn't seem to get it, yet but when he plays D-league/Summer League he looks like a star.

2) Capela - tore up the D-League, played meaningful and quality minutes in the playoff's

3) K-Pop - played in the beginning of the season and then just fell way off after an injury and Corey Brewer signing. Played very little in mop up duty in 2nd half.

4) KJ Mc Daniel - I don't know much about him other than what folks here say, mixed reviews.

5) Dekker - The Chandler Parson clone - just less douche-ier?

6) Harrell - Carl Landry part 2 aka more athletic Chuck Hayes part 3?

What should we expect out of these guys?

When is Nick Johnson going to set up and play some meaningful minutes? Will K-Pop get into the rotation, if so where/when does KJ play or Dekker for that matter?

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Capela and KJ can for sure be important contributers. Theyve been impact players already.

The rest? Tbd

4. Asian Sensation

Improvement. Looking at you Nick Johnson.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Dekker and Harrell will likely spend most, if not all, of the year in the D-League and won't start to really contribute until next season.

McDaniels probably gets traded during the season.

Pap is pretty much only valuable as a nice contract. He has to compete with Ariza and Brewer to get playing time, and probably isn't even insurance for injury/trades now that we drafted two more forwards.

Nick Johnson will probably get traded either in the offseason or during the season. Don't see him contributing here in the near future, or even staying in the league super long.

Capela will continue to develop and be a solid backup at the 5.

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I really like Capela. I think Dekker is going to be a big part of the team this year.

I don't see much coming from McDaniels, but I may be wrong. If Morey is really planning on matching any offer for him, then obviously he sees something. I'll differ to his judgement on this one.

I don't know anything about Harrell. Johnson hasn't impressed me at all. And K-Pop is an end of the bench, never really contributes kind of guy.

7. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

Capela is going to be a beast. We've got time to develop him to be ready to take starting duties whenever Dwight is gone. Him and Dekker are the only guys I see being here long term.

Harrell will be another Landry. Plays like a beast and we trade him at his peak. The other guys will get their chance somewhere else.

8. King901

King901 Member

D league wins

9. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Cool thread.

1) Nick Johnson - I don't know what to say with him. He seems like he can be a quick defensive assignment for guys like Barea / Rivers.

2) Capela - I expect him to be a consistent backup and gain a lot of strength.

3) K-Pop - Played very well at the beginning. Love his passing abilities, he sees the floor well. I just think he lost a step midseason.

4) KJ Mc Daniel - Love his game. Athletic and defensive. I wish we could give him a chance.

5) Dekker - D League all season. I think he has trouble adjusting to the NBA game.

6) Harrell - He can be the X factor but again D League most the season barring an injury or something.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

A western conference finalist that expects anything at all from players who have barely played is irresponsible.

If they give us something, fantastic. I expect more of the same from Capela, which is great. I don't think KJ will be back. I think Nick Johnson will improve slightly, it seemed to take him a long time to grasp the NBA and it may slow down for him now. Harrell and Dekker will barely see the floor. Harrell might be able to surprise us early. Dekker has a LOT of work to do IMO.

If K-Pap is here, he'll be tremendous, maybe better than Brewer. He will be better at the 3pter, he can create and is an ultra smart basketball player, his footwork will cover up for his average lateral quickness.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

It depends on the youngsters progress and what they do with their opportunities when they get to the show. And injuries of course. Dekker has more upside than Parson IMO, but he has a lot of good players in front of him (unlike Parsons).

And if Dorsey (and Black) was able to play big rotational minutes, then I don't see why Harrell can't.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

13. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I hope McHale gives big minutes to Capela. The youngster is just unreal. Given enough pt, I predict a double-double from him or something close to it.

I also hope we retain KJ. True NBA talent who needs to round up his game. Once he does it, watch out.

Harrell is an intriguing player. Sort of a luxurious garbage man who does a bit of everything, but not great at anything. Not sure if we will have any minutes for him.

14. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

Capela, Decker and KJ are all that matter, develop these 3, use the rest as trade filler.

Of the 4, only Capela will get any real minutes this year unless a guard gets injured and we give KJ a try.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Capela is the backup at center and likely part-time starter if Dwight sits out B2Bs. I expect at least what we saw from him late last season and in the playoffs.

Dekker will likely be given a shot early in the season. I'm sure Morey would love for him to pan out immediately. That would make one of our other forwards expendable in a trade.

Johnson's playing time all depends on whether or not he develops a jumpshot during the offseason. He's a good defensive player and a great athlete. But if your a guard who can't shoot worth a lick, you're not like to play much for the Rockets.

McDaniels, Harrell, and Papa won't see any playing time unless there are serious injuries again.

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I hope that the Rockets will only sign KJ if they intended to make him a rotation player next season.

17. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I also like Kostas Pap a lot; especially as a passer/facilitator from the SF/3. I think his basketball smarts is better than average for this team. (I don't think the Rox are that smart of an NBA team) He could go to a place like SA/GS and be a star. Hopefully McHale will find something to do with him.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

People are high on KJ, but he still has to show range on his game to get minutes. Otherwise, he's just going to be a smaller version of the old Ariza.

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Dekker is not nearly as good as Chandler Parson was as a rookie. Dekker needs some DL time to develop his game to the next level.

20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I am anxious to see some kj. I feel like kj>>>>>nj but like basketballslickeraholic I'm wrong a lot so who knows. Out youth is exciting!