1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Morey look like more of a mastermind now with the Ariza deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketfan21, Jul 1, 2015.

1. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I personally didn't think much either way of the cap jump when we first signed Ariza. I was more thinking about how we had just lost my (back then) favorite player, and (now) least favorite player in Chandler Parsons. Now with the spike we see the infatuation with 3&D guys today. Carroll got 4 years 60 mill, Shumpert (who's 3 pointer is questionable at best) got 40 mill over 4 years, and Green got 4 for 45, which was clearly a considerable discount. Meanwhile we have Ariza locked up for the next three seasons at a declining salary that dips below 8 mill for the last two years. Suddenly Trevor Ariza looks like one of the best contracts in the entire league.

Are we foolish for not realizing last year how good the Ariza contract was about to become? Morey at least knew how valuable it was about to be, right? Please discuss... this is suddenly blowing my mind, and getting Llull off my mind.

2. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member

Ariza deal looks like a STEAL now. This money being thrown around is bonkers.

3. clos4life

clos4life Member

Meanwhile, in ponyland, rumors are Parsons had microfracture surgery. While we have Ariza locked up. This is awesome.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Will be downplayed by most... because Maury ain't no wizard.

He tells us who "is NOT the father".

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I was under the assumption that pretty much everyone was in agreement that Ariza was a much better choice given the price.

The only question I had was that it seemed like Parsons and Harden/Howard had good chemistry.

But it is definitely apparent to me that Ariza has one thing on his mind, and that is winning. To me, that's much more important.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Morey is a genius.

I simply give his detractors no merit. Yes, he's struck out a few times, but the guy is an absolute wizard when it comes to the putting together of a basketball team. What he's done, in real life, many of us basketball die-hards would fail to do in video games.

PS. I know you're probably reading this. :grin:

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Ariza deal gives us an extra 2 - 7 million extra bucks available to spend in 2016 than all these other teams with the same level of talent on the roster. Morey doesn't have to prove to me he's the best GM in the league. He's already done it a dozen times. We are truly fortunate to have him!

1 person likes this.
  8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Other GM's are playing checkers while Morey is playing chess.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

A lot of deals signed in the last two seasons, look like steals right now

10. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

I agree with all of this. I do want to point out though, while I think we all knew that Ariza for half the money of Parsons was a better deal; the point of this thread even with that knowledge is I still don't think any of us realized how valuable the Ariza deal was about to become. The money we are saving is honestly blowing me away now after seeing the deals being given away today.

Random weird question, but did you used to post on the Rockets forums at FanHome.com which I think later merged with Scout.com roughly 12 or so years ago? I was still in high school back then, but I'm pretty sure that someone with your identical user name used to post there, and I always wonder if that was you when I see this user name pop up here.

11. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

People freaking out that we are in the same position in free agency waiting on LMA as we did with Bosh last year and maybe not match on Bev should remember what can still be had with the mid-level exception, trade exceptions, etc

This is a big gamble "but you keep swinging for home runs eventually you hit one" - Morey

At worst, this team will add a very serviceable player on the market with the MLE (hopefully a PG) and still be able to retain Brewer, Bev & maybe Josh Smith with the remaining exceptions and team rights...And still be in a better position to be the best suitor in a big trade.

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Daryl, amongst other things, is the most cap savvy GM in the league. Seems to have a great staff around him for projections, loopholes, etc. so that he can exploit every advantage possible.

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Very true.

14. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

He didn't match Parson's contract and sign Ariza almost instantaneously by accident. The man knows what he's doin'.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Morey's 3rd backup plan is often better than most team's first plan.

1 person likes this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

In morey I trust.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

True. And a lot of those deals didn't look like such obvious no brainers, even to the GMs themselves, when happening.

Consider the Warriors were in some ways taking a risk when they chose Steph, and that contract, over Monta Ellis. Now he's one of the best bargains in the league.

I think they thing a lot of the serious Rockets fans on this site did think, even in the disappointment of how the offseason was going was:
    - Parsons defense had gotten, well, bad
    - Jeremy Lin was pretty useless, and getting rid of him, even for a future first, was worth it, for whatever use Morey wanted
    - Omer Asik was pretty useless. Complained. Locker room negativity. Helped in the playoffs, but not immensely. Getting the first round pick Morey got for him was great
    - Ariza was coming off one of his best offensive years, and remained a very versatile, effective defender. His contract SEEMED like good value.

Now, it's obvious the Ariza contract is good value...

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Straight thief, son.

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

Random weird question, but did you used to post on the Rockets forums at FanHome.com which I think later merged with Scout.com roughly 12 or so years ago? I was still in high school back then, but I'm pretty sure that someone with your identical user name used to post there, and I always wonder if that was you when I see this user name pop up here.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember what the name of the site was but yeah, I had this name on another forum years ago. Scout sounds kinda familiar but it doesn't look anything like the link.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I've learned not to question Morey. For every bad move he makes, he makes 6 or 7 that end up being great. Lucky to have him.