1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beverley and KJ McDaniels get qualifying offers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ibm, Jun 30, 2015.

1. ibm

ibm Member

beverley and kj?

just heard it on 610, but only caught part of what they said. any news?

(took a quick glance at the site and didnt see a post. mod pls delete if this is already being discussed.)

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Flexibility

That's the answer you are looking for

4. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

retain them with 2 year contracts only to be traded later.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Beverley and McDaniels will receive qualifying offers today. Rockets SOP is to make those moves on the deadline day. <a href="https://t.co/353CaaxQUa">https://t.co/353CaaxQUa</a></p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/615906894431981568">June 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pat Beverly got $2.73 mil qualifying offer. KJ McDaniels received $1.045 mil qualifying offer from Rockets.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/615917482071621632">June 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. ibm

ibm Member

oh, just qualifying offers. a free agency deadline move, i guess. probably doesnt mean much, eh?

7. photojoe

photojoe Member

Qualifying offer doesn't mean much.

But yes, I would imagine they hope that they can resign both of them. But, much like Parsons last season, it will depend on what else we try to do in free agency and how much other teams try to pay them.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Restricted Free Agency sir. You MUST lead with the notion that you want that player back for negotiations standpoint. It keeps out the buyers that are just bargain hunting. It also can drive up the price to a serious suitor.

In the end it leads to one of two things theoretically.... you are either the recipient of that bargain contract, or you drive up the price for someone (like...er the Mavericks) to overpay... ultimately hurting that teams long term roster building.

So its a smart move to say you want to bring them back. Do the Rockets actually want both guys back.... sure.... on what size contract though??... probably only bargains... but that's just my opinion.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

[​IMG]

10. J Hard

J Hard Member

Hope so, and KJ better get some PT this season, he could be a surprising revelation for this team that needed a spark other than Dwight and Beard.

Let Nick get burn as well while learning from Terry.

I strongly believe we have all we need on the team, just time to start bringing these guys along during the season. I don't think we'll suffer any losses because Nick was contributing to W's early last season.

Free KJ and NJ!

11. ibm

ibm Member

kj is a legit nba-er. that i can see.

but nj? really? maybe i am wrong, but do people really love everyone and anyone that has ever worn a rockets jersey?

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

keeping the options open.... retaining Bev is a no brainer imo - gonna be over the cap money anyways... KJ we wont keep - id like to... but qo isnt enough and if Llull comes over = no MLE $ for KJ...

personally, I say screw LLull... use MLE to wrap up JSmith and KJ... retain PBev and go get a 2nd quality pg to split time with PBev.... Celtics?

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

In the future, please try to make your thread title more descriptive so folks don't need to click on it to see who the thread is about.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing you don't understand what a QUALIFYING OFFER is.

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

You have to give them the qualifying offer to make them Restricted Free Agents.

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Is today the deadline for QO? I know tomorrow (I guess tonight for us) is the start of FA, is the QO deadline the start of FA? Just trying to figure out if this was a standard move, or if we actually signed them early.
    <iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

17. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

It was a standard move to make them restricted free agents.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

I thought a qualifying offer is made and if the player accepts it he gets that money for a year and is an unrestricted next year. If he rejects it then he is a restricted free agent this year. I might be wrong tho

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right. And they can accept or reject it. I think it is pretty obvious it's going to be rejected

20. mmottola26

mmottola26 Member

Not to get off topic, but did we do a qualifying offer to Parsons?