1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How many Stros make All-Star this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Houstunna, Jun 26, 2015.

?

How many?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2015.
  1. 1

23.8%
  2. 2

55.6%
  3. 3

19.0%
  4. 4+

1.6%
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Altuve and Keuchel are definites. Keuchel is the CY leader and Jose is the best 2nd baseman. The fact Altuve is getting jacked by KC might make him more of a favorite than Beard, but that's neither here nor there. Plus, he's just coming off winning the batting title.

Our All-Star tally really boils down to how many of our relievers make it.
    Stats are based on relievers with 20+ IP

Will Harris
    0.78 ERA... 2nd only to KC's Wade's ridiculous 0.29
    Harris beats Wade's WHIP though, 0.61 vs 0.77
    Wade has 8 saves vs Harris' 0
    37 K's... tied for 11th among relievers

Josh Fields
    ERA 2.01... ranks 17th among relievers
    35 K's... tied for 16th
    14.10 K/9... not sure where it ranks, but has to be Top 5 among 20+ers. Yankees' Betances is beasting with 16.59

Pat Neshek
    2.63 ERA... 28th ranking
    0.73 WHIP... ranks 4th
    19 Holds... league leader

Tony Sipp
    2.67 ERA... 29th, right behind Neshek
    0.96 WHIP... ranks 18th

Luke Gregerson
    3.68 ERA
    31 K's... tied for 23rd
    1.02 WHIP... ranks 25th
    17 Saves... tied for 5th

Thatcher is ballin, but has only pitched 16.0 innings
    2.25 ERA
    1.19 WHIP
    10.59 K/9

Maybe Qualls rises up!!

#1 Houstunna, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Assuming Altuve isnt voted in as a starter...

Springer and Keuchel

No way Altuve makes it if he isnt voted in as a starter....dozier and kipnis more deserving

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I bet its only Keuchel.

Springer has come on as of late... and could be an injury replacement.

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Altuve will make it

Yes a couple of others have been better

But coming off the batting title last year, and not being terrible this year, he is close to a lock

He is one of those players also who is viewed better around the nation than he is here on CF, the rest of the nation doesn't pick everything apart so much like on here

The fact that so many KC guys start gonna cause some great ones to not make it though. With all those guys plus every team getting someone, I'm not sure anyone else other than KC gets 3

5. Mattician

Mattician Member

Two most likely.

6. conquistador#11

kipnis definitely deserves it for a career year. but if clutchfansbeisbolforum was doing the math, they'd say well...you take a way kipnis 72 games in 2015, and he is basically a .260 lifetime hitter. womp womp.

dallas and altuve will make it. Kipnis and dozier should definitely be ahead.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Altuve has no business ahead of Kipnis and Dozier. If he gets voted in great, but if Infante wins the vote Kipnis is a lock to get the other spot.

If Springer finishes strong he could sneak onto the team.

Keuchel is a deserving lock, so despite all our success this year we are likely still a one rep team.

8. The Beard

Agree Kipnis deserves over Altuve, but that's not how it usually works

I could make an argument for Springer but again with so many Royals taking spots, I don't see anyone else getting 3

9. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Keuchel is the only one that's truly deserving.

10. The Beard

With the game at mid season, I think most people look at last years second half in addition to how the players are doing now. If Altuve was horrible this year, I would agree with this. But when you look at what Altuve did last year, and factor in that he has been ok this year (and was outstanding when we built our lead early in the year), I would just be shocked if he wasn't on the team.

11. The Beard

Assuming the voting stays as it is now (couple spots are close), here is my best guess at the AL All Star Team

1B: M Cabrera, Pujols, Fielder
    2B: Infante, Altuve, Kipnis
    3B: Moustakas, Donaldson
    SS: Escobar, Bogaerts (Correa has no shot, but he is the AL's best SS)
    C: Perez, Vogt, Martin
    OF: Starters..Trout, Cain, Gordon
    OF: Backups..Bautista, Gardner, JD Martinez
    DH: K Morales, N Cruz

SP: Archer (starts, love Keuchel but Archer has been a little better)
    SPs: Keuchel, Gray, Price, Sale, Feliz, Kazmir, Kluber

Closers: Perkins, Britton, Betances, Street
    RP: W Davis

34 man roster, all teams represented. KC with 8 players, Angels, A's and Tigers with 3

As for other Astros, Correa is the best SS in the AL right now and it's really not even close. He just hasn't been up long enough. Springer if he had started out better would likely be in there, i'd say he is in a group of about 5 other OF who would be next in line. In fact, if you didn't have so many KC guys starting, Springer would have had a pretty good chance.

Will Harris is next closest, but he hasn't been great last couple of weeks. And as good as he has been, and with them not likely to be wanting to add more Royals to the squad with all the starters....Davis has been incredible, 1 run in 31 innings with 35 K's...incredible

1 person likes this.
  12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Surprised no one thinks any of our relievers will make the squad.

Springer has people accustomed to his having a low batting average. His BA has been low .200's most of his career. The recent surge has been exciting, but he's currently only hitting .265 with a .819 OPS. Unless the OF candidates are weak this year, it's highly doubtful he makes All-Star even if he reaches .275 by the deadline. Maybe 1-2 more highlight catches would help. I'll gladly take it if he does make it.

KC is really messing up the game. I wouldn't be shocked if there's a "mysterious" voting miscount ala Florida (Bush) during the 2000 presidential election. No way the league allows 5+ underserving teammates as starters.

Shame on local sportscasters not mentioning the guys who have arguments ahead of Altuve. Only thing being said is how "Jose is getting jobbed". They had me thinking Altuve was the clear cut choice over anyone, but he's not. Shame on me for not doing more research.

I'm looking for the Astros to have 3 All-Stars.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes it is... the better players having the better years usually are selected by the all-star coaching staff...after the popular vote usually puts the undeserving ones in.

Kipnis is going to make it... especially since the Indians don't have any other "for sure" all-stars.

Only way Altuve gets it is if he wins the vote... or is one of those extra selections that they have a vote on after the reserves are chosen.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Altuve Keuchel Springer

Harris would make it if they took more than 1 middle reliever..seems too rare though

15. The Beard

Lol

Ok thanks for letting me know

We will see though.....reality is guys like Altuve who have huge years the year before and are still doing good (if not great), make it

But I'm sure you are right

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I've never seen or heard an argument for a player based on what they did 2nd half of the previous year. Never.

17. The Beard

Go look at previous all star teams and you will see many many guys who had huge years the year before, and are still good but not the best the first half of current year, on the team

Especially a young vibrant guy who most of the league considers a star

I wonder how many previous years batting champs didn't make the all star team the following year

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'd like to hear some comparable examples from years past.

Isn't Altuve only a one time all star? I don't think he's a shoe-in or should be entitled to make it based on "reputation."

19. The Beard

Ok Nick you are right

Thanks for straightening me out bro

Nice to know I can always count on you

You are right

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I asked you to produce some examples that you just described, of players that got selected to the ASG the following year after a so-so first half (but better previous year)... that is all. Nobody is coming to mind right now for me, so I'm honestly asking you.

You preach about keeping it "civil" in here, and how this was once a great forum, and then you come back with responses like that?

1 person likes this.